Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #61
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Man you would love Europe. It’s a little more chaotic but everyone is driving small cars so you have a good idea what’s coming ahead and if there’s issues up ahead you don’t have it where everyone is forced to brake at the last minute because the full-size pickup in front of you obstructs your view of anything ahead and you are relying on their care and attention of what’s ahead. I wish people in North America weren’t obsessed with driving tank sized SUV’s and full size pickup trucks. Even our compact sized cars are huge now for crying out loud as a Civic today is bigger than a 90’s Accord.

LOL, I'm from Europe originally. That was my reference point. I've lived in Calgary so long that I forgot that most other places don't have huge trucks everywhere.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #62
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
My kids decided to set up a lemonade stand and are donating their earnings to charity.

quoting myself as a follow up - the girls made over $100 for the Humane Society! That makes a cynical hood happy!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:37 PM   #63
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't just call yourself the Humane Society Puppet Guy.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #64
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
quoting myself as a follow up - the girls made over $100 for the Humane Society! That makes a cynical hood happy!
Uh huh...its all fun and games until they come home with a puppy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #65
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
LOL, I'm from Europe originally. That was my reference point. I've lived in Calgary so long that I forgot that most other places don't have huge trucks everywhere.
I used to think it was a Calgary thing. But it isnt, it’s a Canada thing. There are just as many trucks and SUVs in driveways in Ontario as Alberta. I live in Guelph, full of hippies and bike lanes, and most houses have a truck.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:51 AM   #66
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Uh huh...its all fun and games until they come home with a puppy.
actually, that WOULD make me happy.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #67
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I used to think it was a Calgary thing. But it isnt, it’s a Canada thing. There are just as many trucks and SUVs in driveways in Ontario as Alberta. I live in Guelph, full of hippies and bike lanes, and most houses have a truck.
Maybe Guelph and small town Ontario but as far as other major cities go I don't see near the amount of full size trucks in Toronto, Vancouver or Victoria as i do in Calgary.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #68
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
More like a North American thing, I was in the suburbs of Denver last week and the parking lot of the local gas station would have made Red Deer proud.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #69
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
More like a North American thing, I was in the suburbs of Denver last week and the parking lot of the local gas station would have made Red Deer proud.
To me it seems like every second car in Colorado is Subaru or a 4Runner/Tacoma. They are pretty truck/SUV too crazy over in Denver for sure, although perhaps a bit more diverse in their lineup....the amount of sweet Landcruisers and overlanding vehicles there is nice.

As truck crazy as we are, I find Calgary has a lot more exotics than the typical American city though (outside of places like NY/LA/Miami that is). It's hard to go an hour here without seeing something like a Lamborghini....I'm not sure I saw one in my entire 5-day stay in Denver a few months ago.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #70
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Yeah for sure. Really I think it comes down to snow. If you’re going to have 6 months a year where you may have to tackle 1-2’ of snow/slush or some ice rain, a SUV or Truck is just a good investment. I couldn’t stand having a car in the winter, but to each their own.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:14 PM   #71
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah for sure. Really I think it comes down to snow. If you’re going to have 6 months a year where you may have to tackle 1-2’ of snow/slush or some ice rain, a SUV or Truck is just a good investment. I couldn’t stand having a car in the winter, but to each their own.
The good news is that in Calgary you might have 1 day a year where you have more than 1 foot or slush and that day you shouldn’t drive anyway.

If you meant 1-2” then tires are more important than ground clearance.

SUVs and Trucks handle worse than cars.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 10:57 PM   #72
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Alt Shift X posted a new GoT video. It’s such a happy surprise every time that guy posts a new video.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:59 AM   #73
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The good news is that in Calgary you might have 1 day a year where you have more than 1 foot or slush and that day you shouldn’t drive anyway.

If you meant 1-2” then tires are more important than ground clearance.

SUVs and Trucks handle worse than cars.
If you say so. I lived on a snow route for five years, and while the actual snow route part is not so important, the point is that it got plowed a few times per year. When they plow, they push up a windrow near the curb (and around any vehicle still parked on non-snow route ban days) that can easily be more than a foot of snow and ice chunks.

I've seen lots of digging. Lots of rocking. Lots of swearing. I'm not going to claim that trucks or 4x4s are a necessity, but with the amount of winter we get, they're not exactly frivolous, either.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 07:52 AM   #74
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i can't wait for my little guy to wake up this morning!
i was out last night and checked the mail when i got home and there was an amazon delivery.
i found this on amazon late last week: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...TF8&th=1&psc=1
and it was only $10.01! how do you pass that up?!??! wow.... the price in now over $20 for the same thing? weird... i don't understand amazon pricing.

anyways - my little guy LOVES hoodies and the flames and he will be soooo pumped when he sees this

so wrmmh...
- smoking deal on a flames hoodie for my boy
- will have a super happy little guy (he usually is in a pretty good mood... especially for a 3 year old)
- i continue to shower him with awesome flames stuff to further grow his love for the flames

... so yea... thursday is looking like a pretty good day!
Old 08-30-2018, 08:11 AM   #75
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just finished scanning all of my family photos from my parents and grandparents. God, it was a lot of work. Sorting the photo albums, then removing the photos (some of which had been in the photo album for 60-70 years) and sorting them, removing duplicates, trying to put them in semi chronological order, etc. It's taken me almost a year, but I'm finally done.

Now they're all saved on a drive (with a few backups), I'll be making copies for my parents and siblings, and uncles/aunts. We don't have to worry about the photos fading more, or getting lost/damaged. All our baby and childhood photos are forever preserved now, as are my parents and grandparents baby, childhood and young adult photos. My Grandpa had a bunch of photos of himself when he was in the army. It's been so incredible to go through all of these photos and digitize them. I feel really accomplished!

Last edited by Nyah; 08-30-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #76
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I just finished scanning all of my family photos from my parents and grandparents. God, it was a lot of work. Sorting the photo albums, then removing the photos (some of which had been in the photo album for 60-70 years) and sorting them, removing duplicates, trying to put them in semi chronological order, etc. It's taken me almost a year, but I'm finally done.

Now they're all saved on a drive (with a few backups), I'll be making copies for my parents and siblings, and uncles/aunts. We don't have to worry about the photos fading more, or getting lost/damaged. All our baby and childhood photos are forever preserved now, as are my parents and grandparents baby, childhood and young adult photos. My Grandpa had a bunch of photos of himself when he was in the army. It's been so incredible to go through all of these photos and digitize them. I feel really accomplished!
A family member of ours had that done recently, if you decide to give out the USB as gifts I'd recommend saving them for an occasion and couple it with a digital picture frame.

We did that for our in-laws and they love it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 09:47 AM   #77
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
If you say so. I lived on a snow route for five years, and while the actual snow route part is not so important, the point is that it got plowed a few times per year. When they plow, they push up a windrow near the curb (and around any vehicle still parked on non-snow route ban days) that can easily be more than a foot of snow and ice chunks.

I've seen lots of digging. Lots of rocking. Lots of swearing. I'm not going to claim that trucks or 4x4s are a necessity, but with the amount of winter we get, they're not exactly frivolous, either.
Bah. In the past I've driven a mid-engine RWD MR2 turbo all year round for multiple years in Calgary, Mustang GT's with track pack all year around as well. Stuck just once with the Mustang and it was on a side road that was pure ice and took one person to give a little push. That's it. No accidents, no issues, little fanfare. Those are probably amongst the very worst vehicles you could drive in the winter and I have done them daily with little issue through the biggest snow storms Calgary has to offer. If you living in Calgary and really, really need a 4x4 it's because you aren't a very good driver. The issue is people running crappy all-season tires in the winter. Mandatory winter tires would clean up a lot of accidents and people getting stuck in this province.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-30-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:21 AM   #78
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Bah. In the past I've driven a mid-engine RWD MR2 turbo all year round for multiple years in Calgary, Mustang GT's with track pack all year around as well. Stuck just once with the Mustang and it was on a side road that was pure ice and took one person to give a little push. That's it. No accidents, no issues, little fanfare. Those are probably amongst the very worst vehicles you could drive in the winter and I have done them daily with little issue through the biggest snow storms Calgary has to offer. If you living in Calgary and really, really need a 4x4 it's because you aren't a very good driver. The issue is people running crappy all-season tires in the winter. Mandatory winter tires would clean up a lot of accidents and people getting stuck in this province.
Hooray! An early start to the winter tire debate this year! Looking forward to hearing some new anecdotes from both sides!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #79
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Hooray! An early start to the winter tire debate this year! Looking forward to hearing some new anecdotes from both sides!
Getting a little tired of the argument going round and round, eh? Maybe this your we will tread on new ground.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #80
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
That's easy. First big snowstorm where the people riding on all-seasons shake their fist and blame the city for the road conditions while people riding on winter tires go about their business getting from home to work and back with little fanfare.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote