Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #1441
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Thank goodness for Vlad because he is really the only exciting thing about the Blue Jays right now.

This is the first time in a while that I am not excited about any player on the Jays MLB roster. I watch a lot of Jays baseball and I would always have something to look forward to, Stroman or Sanchez pitching, watching Donaldson play etc. But right now there is nothing remotely interesting about this roster of players. Nothing.

Travis is not an MLB level infielder and his only tool hitting seems to have disappeared,, Martin and Morales are terrible, Donaldson looks like his body is done, Sanchez still walks people at an alarmingly high rate, Stroman needed a mental break from the game, Osuna is an idiot, Pearce is a band aid, Grichuk was historically bad, Estrada had an ERA over 5. Tulo is done.

Happ Solarte Granderson and Hernandez are minor bright spots.

Sorry just frustrated with the direction of this team.
Ya I think most of us have the same feelings. The Jays are in a precarious situation and I’m one to believe that a re-build or intense re-tooling is needed. Don’t try and sell me that this roster is a playoff roster, sell me about the future. I hope the Jays make the correct decisions with their vets and use them to create a team that can contended for 10+ years, not just for 2.

The starting rotation is by far my biggest worry, the Jays have the 12th pick in next weeks draft. I hope they use this pick on a pitcher with high upside

Last edited by Beninho; 05-24-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #1442
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/999729440727986176
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #1443
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I hope they use this pick on a pitcher with high upside
Rumor has it that's precisely what they're going to do... moreso that they're going to take a prep (High School) player but they've been looking at prep pitchers as well as bats.

I'm hoping Matthew Liberatore slips down to #12.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #1444
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

So the Jays got pummeled today to end their home stand at 1-6. Yikes.

4-14 in their last 18 at home.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #1445
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays are cooked. Starting rotation is trash and now the bullpen is falling apart.

At least if they keep this up they won't have any reason to wonder if they should sell or not.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #1446
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

But they won't have anything to sell now. If you decide to sell only after bottoming out so you can get as many ticket sales for as many years as possible, you're not coming out with much.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:40 PM   #1447
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I was at that debacle today and couldn’t even dull the pain with a $12 beer as I was on my daughter’s field trip.

Time to call up Vlad! DFA Kendrys plus more or this season is over, we’ll lose Gibby who I think is good. I’m never really been a fire the manager guy.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #1448
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't bringing Vlad up now mess with his service time or something?

He's not going to save this sinking ship, so if it messes with his long term viability with the Jays then just bump him up to AAA and leave him there IMO.

Morales and Martin are pretty much done though. It'd really be nice to get a look at Jansen that's for sure.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #1449
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Doesn't bringing Vlad up now mess with his service time or something?

He's not going to save this sinking ship, so if it messes with his long term viability with the Jays then just bump him up to AAA and leave him there IMO.

Morales and Martin are pretty much done though. It'd really be nice to get a look at Jansen that's for sure.
I think they need to wait till aug 1st minimum to not have an effect
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #1450
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Russell is fine.

All his peripheral batting stats (BB%, K%, ISO, Launch Angle, Exit Velo) are all pretty normal for his last couple years except one... BABIP. That one is 120 points lower then his career average. That being said I'd like to see Jansen promoted so that he absorb all the veteran knowledge/mentoring that Martin can provide in his last years (but so long as Maile keeps sacrificing things to Jobu there isn't a spot for him). I'm pretty confident Martin will snap back to league average barring an injury once the luck dragons stop kicking his ass.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #1451
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Russell is fine.

All his peripheral batting stats (BB%, K%, ISO, Launch Angle, Exit Velo) are all pretty normal for his last couple years except one... BABIP. That one is 120 points lower then his career average. That being said I'd like to see Jansen promoted so that he absorb all the veteran knowledge/mentoring that Martin can provide in his last years (but so long as Maile keeps sacrificing things to Jobu there isn't a spot for him). I'm pretty confident Martin will snap back to league average barring an injury once the luck dragons stop kicking his ass.
No, Martin is also done. He can't throw out anybody and he can barely hit anything anymore, luck or not.

It's not mostly luck that Martin's batting has declined.

Last edited by Karl; 05-25-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #1452
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
It's not mostly luck that Martin's batting has declined.
He's not striking out anymore then he was, he's not walking less, ball leaves his bat at about the same speed, and when he hits the bat he hits it with the same extra base power.

Heck I even went and looked at his year over spray charts to see if his pull vs. all field tendencies had changed... nada.

I'm not going to say he's still at his peak (he's not). But I have confidence that he's not a true talent .153/.288/.324 hitter.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #1453
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
He's not striking out anymore then he was, he's not walking less, ball leaves his bat at about the same speed, and when he hits the bat he hits it with the same extra base power.

Heck I even went and looked at his year over spray charts to see if his pull vs. all field tendencies had changed... nada.

I'm not going to say he's still at his peak (he's not). But I have confidence that he's not a true talent .153/.288/.324 hitter.
Yes, he's not quite THIS bad but he's still finished as a MLB calibre player. He will struggle to get to the 200BA mark when this year's over.

Russell is not as washed up as Kendry is but he is still done.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #1454
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, does anyone buy maile's emergence as a contact hitter extrordanaire?

I think that we hold onto whichever catcher brings less in trade and let the one left mentor Jansen.

Really, they should have blown it up in the summer, like at least half the fans wanted. Let's start seeing what we have at AAA, and hopefully stumble upon a big league position player.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #1455
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Well, does anyone buy maile's emergence as a contact hitter extrordanaire?

I think that we hold onto whichever catcher brings less in trade and let the one left mentor Jansen.

Really, they should have blown it up in the summer, like at least half the fans wanted. Let's start seeing what we have at AAA, and hopefully stumble upon a big league position player.
Nope. Nobody should be buying into Maile's hot streak that he had been having.

For the bolded point, they should hold onto Russell and have him mentor Danny Jansen. As it is, the Jays will get nothing for Martin even if they tried to trade him for 2 reasons. 1) Martin is way past his prime and done as an MLB calibre player, 2) He's on an untradeable contract given he's making close to $20M per season.

Last edited by Karl; 05-25-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #1456
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Peyote induced pipe dream scenario for me:

Jays open up the wallet and sign Bryce Harper.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #1457
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Woohoo

Gaviglio double!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #1458
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Peyote induced pipe dream scenario for me:

Jays open up the wallet and sign Bryce Harper.
Lol at the Jay opening up their wallet with Shapiro at the helm.

If they broughtt up Vlad and he shows to be our saviour then maybe then could entice him.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #1459
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, what a catch
Old 05-25-2018, 05:56 PM   #1460
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guerrero is 2/3 with an RBI so far today, and is now batting .431. Nuts