Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #3281
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Hmmm... Your hyperbole kind of reduces the strength of your argument. I'm in no way convinced we are headed to a major change in goalie equipment but ok.

Thanks to those that explained the Home Improvememt reference. I didn't watch it much but my Dad liked it. After having the reference explained, I remember my Dad saying I don't think so Tim as a joke. So thanks for the nice memory jog.
We are heading to a significant change in goaltending equipment. The GMs agreed to it during the latest meetings. It will be fun to see these tall skinny guys with proper fitting equipment and see how good they really are. Numbers are going to increase, especially for the shot blockers. I'm not saying Murray is not a good goaltender, but I would be very suspect of a guy that looks 40-50 pounds heavier than his playing weight because of his equipment.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #3282
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Besides worst case is the Flames have two really good goaltenders which is a good problem to have.
Yeah until the next xpac draft where we are forced to deal one and potentially not get market value back.

How many years would the league sit at 31 teams?
Old 04-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #3283
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
We are heading to a significant change in goaltending equipment. The GMs agreed to it during the latest meetings. It will be fun to see these tall skinny guys with proper fitting equipment and see how good they really are. Numbers are going to increase, especially for the shot blockers. I'm not saying Murray is not a good goaltender, but I would be very suspect of a guy that looks 40-50 pounds heavier than his playing weight because of his equipment.

Disagree with you completely. Murray is one of the goalies I wouldn't worry about with the reduced equipments. He's tall so he naturally covers a lot of the net even in the butterfly, but he is also athletic and flexible. He's moves around the net very well for a tall guy.

It's the Bishop and Hiller type of goalies that you need to worry about
Old 04-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #3284
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Rumor has it NMC's will need to be protected in the expansion draft meaning that Fleury is automatically on their protected list
According to General Fanager Fluery has a limited NMC that only prohibits being put on waivers. Is that accurate?

EDIT: Looks like that was his last contract and the current one is a full NMC.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #3285
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Disagree with you completely. Murray is one of the goalies I wouldn't worry about with the reduced equipments. He's tall so he naturally covers a lot of the net even in the butterfly, but he is also athletic and flexible. He's moves around the net very well for a tall guy.

It's the Bishop and Hiller type of goalies that you need to worry about
So 6'4, 178 pound(!) Murray is going to be unaffected but 6'7, 216 pound Ben Bishop is? I think they both suffer, but Bishop slightly less. He has almost 40 pounds of beef on Murray while being only 3 inches taller.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #3286
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
So 6'4, 178 pound(!) Murray is going to be unaffected but 6'7, 216 pound Ben Bishop is? I think they both suffer, but Bishop slightly less. He has almost 40 pounds of beef on Murray while being only 3 inches taller.

Yeah exactly. You're missing my point. It's about the style of game that they play. Murray moves very quickly and is athletic in nature with great flexibility. His size helps him, but he doesn't rely on it.

Bishop is "blocker" as in he relies on being massive and having a strong positional foundation. Two different styles and I think one will be more affected than the other.

All though in the grand scheme of things, I think the goalie equipment thing is overblown anyways
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #3287
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Significant is a relative term and no one know how it will affect any goalie. It is my opinion that the equipment change will affect all goalies, it is a change after all. however, how it affect each goalie will not be based on their height, weight or even style but their ability to adapt and change their playing as every single goalie will have to do this. Some will handle it fine other will not, if anyone thinks you can predict who will be more affected by these changes, please buy me a lottery ticket with the winning numbers as you must be a psychic.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #3288
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anybody think Radulov is a worthwhile addition, given the recent news that he's interested in returning to the nhl?

He's an offensive force and positional need. But at his likely salary demands and issues with the rest of his game / off-ice concerns, I'm skeptical that he'll be an addition to helping this team win. Perhaps he would help a team with a better foundation, who just need an offensive kick.

Thoughts?
Old 04-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #3289
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

IF radulov comes back I expect the salary to be under 4 mil AAV
Old 04-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #3290
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
According to General Fanager Fluery has a limited NMC that only prohibits being put on waivers. Is that accurate?

EDIT: Looks like that was his last contract and the current one is a full NMC.
It is a NMC with a modified NTC. I believe he can name 12 teams he cannot be traded to. So Pittsburgh can trade him to any team not on his list.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #3291
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
IF radulov comes back I expect the salary to be under 4 mil AAV
That seems low, and thus a no-brainer to sign him if he wants to sign. Unless of course he's a total immature dickwad, which I doubt.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #3292
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Don't we know at this point that Radulov is an immature dickwad?
Old 04-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #3293
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Haha. People can change can't they? Dude was 25 when he f-ed up with Nashville. He'll be 30 this summer.

I'd take the chance, especially if the AAV is as low Demetric figures. (which I doubt, but we will see)
Old 04-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #3294
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
He's made his money in Russia. I think he's finally realized the missing piece in his career lies in the NHL and making an honest go of it. At least that's how I am reading it. Makes sense.

What's the worst that happens? He sucks next season and tucks tail back home? That's about it. Worth a shot, he's a more proven commodity than Pribyl.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:49 AM   #3295
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm calling it, I think we'll go after Fleury this offseason, I think he would be a great addition here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2016, 07:08 AM   #3296
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Haha. People can change can't they? Dude was 25 when he f-ed up with Nashville. He'll be 30 this summer.

I'd take the chance, especially if the AAV is as low Demetric figures. (which I doubt, but we will see)
People can change. But they very, very rarely do.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #3297
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I'm calling it, I think we'll go after Fleury this offseason, I think he would be a great addition here.
Yes please
Old 04-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #3298
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree but I worry about the concussions problems he has had. But I think he has played his last game for the pens
The Following User Says Thank You to Krynn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2016, 09:18 AM   #3299
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

MAF is a very solid choice IMO. But does he waive to come here?
Old 04-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #3300
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think he would,an up and coming team most definitely
Closed Thread