Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #1701
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could probably fab up some brackets to hang the soundbar off the bottom of the tv mount.

That shelf looks pretty slick. Off to Amazon.

Thanks!!
Old 11-18-2021, 11:41 PM   #1702
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.primecables.ca/p-386157-...et-primecables

Would something like this work?
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #1703
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I bought something similar off Amazon.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #1704
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

We moved in the spring and with the weather getting dark/cold again we’re looking at putting some paint/decor into the living room, and well as remounting the 48” TV on the wall.

Been about 10 year since I last did this, not sure of the latest & greatest, so a few questions:
  • Are flat TV mounts pretty much all the same at this point? Any specific sources or styles to avoid?
  • Power: Any distinct advantage to wiring in a recessed plug VS a “power bridge” plug & play?
  • Best sites outside Amazon for components?

The wall we’re looking at is shared with the un-finished basement stairwell, so I’ve got great access behind the wall currently.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:28 PM   #1705
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
We moved in the spring and with the weather getting dark/cold again we’re looking at putting some paint/decor into the living room, and well as remounting the 48” TV on the wall.

Been about 10 year since I last did this, not sure of the latest & greatest, so a few questions:
  • Are flat TV mounts pretty much all the same at this point? Any specific sources or styles to avoid?
  • Power: Any distinct advantage to wiring in a recessed plug VS a “power bridge” plug & play?

The wall we’re looking at is shared with the un-finished basement stairwell, so I’ve got great access behind the wall currently.
https://www.primecables.ca/c-18871-mounts-sit-stands

Prime cables website? I think they sell on Amazon too.

Why flat tv mount instead of articulated?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #1706
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked up a Samsung soundbar and subwoofer combo at Best Buy on a Black Friday sale. Regular $700 on for $350 so easy to convince my wife to make the impulse purchase. I have a Samsung TV that I paired it with and it is a nice improvement. There is a Q-symphony mode that pairs the soundbar with the TV speakers and it feels like a much improved quality vs the tv speakers alone.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:23 PM   #1707
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, are there any reasonably priced AV Receivers that allow for a full 4K 120Hz video connection yet? Would love to get my XSX and PS5 running through one receiver to make things simple.

Only ones I have seen are like $3K+
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #1708
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
So, are there any reasonably priced AV Receivers that allow for a full 4K 120Hz video connection yet? Would love to get my XSX and PS5 running through one receiver to make things simple.

Only ones I have seen are like $3K+
The new Onkyo 7100 supports 4K120 and goes for $1400 in Canada. The other excitement over it is that it uses the highly regarded Dirac audio correction system (though unfortunately it seems a bit buggy at the moment).

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/off...hread.3210550/
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #1709
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I totally gave up trying to have HDMI work through a receiver, because the standards change so quickly. I just use a cheap HDMI switch that can be replaced as needed, because a good receiver should last decades.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:39 AM   #1710
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I totally gave up trying to have HDMI work through a receiver, because the standards change so quickly. I just use a cheap HDMI switch that can be replaced as needed, because a good receiver should last decades.
I don't want to overly chime in and say this isn't the way to go. But it's my understanding of HDMI and the protocols when you get in to 4k, refresh rate, etc, proper HDMI switches can be super expensive to truly "switch and pass the information". Hdmi 2.0 HDMI 2.1

If you are into gaming you want a sure pass through and a receiver capable of Dolby ATMOS and HDR and passing the proper HDMI signal through to the TV for it's sampler.

I.e. there are 4K HDMI switches or video matrixes. But get into the cost of a proper refreshed receiver.

Then I also want to say I think that throwing out the bathwater on a great sounding receiver does seem like a waste, but there are some substantial improvements in HDMI processing, pass through, audio processing that truly outshine some of the best of the best.

https://www.anthemav.com/products-cu.../page=overview 540 540 FOR 1699.00

I have this ANTHEM and it's a bargain for what it does. In particular it ships with a eArc measuring microphone to calibrate your room and it's stunning. The switching all built in with high end amplification. $ for $ this thing warrants that upgrade and competes with the big boys at the consumer level receiver pricing.

Canadian company as well!

Last edited by calgarywinning; 12-06-2021 at 02:49 AM.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:59 AM   #1711
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's great and all, but it will just prove my point when you spend that much for a receiver that will have obsolete HDMI ports in 3 years. $1700 is a lot of money.

I honestly haven't looked into 4k stuff, because my projector is still 1080, so maybe I'll find a nightmare lurking around that corner. I just hate the endless upgrade cycle and disposing of perfectly good equipment because of spec changes. There must be a better way for industry to handle this. But they like the sales.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:35 PM   #1712
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post

Flat panel TV mounts come in a few different options. Do you want a fixed bracket, tilting, or a full-motion arm?

We have a mix of mounts at our home:
- Master bedroom TV is full-motion as we have a little sitting area by the fireplace, so we can point the TV that way. We can also extend the TV closer to the bed if we so choose.
- Gym TV is also on a full-motion mount, it can be put flat against the wall when doing free weights as it points to the free weight / aerobic area, and I can extend and turn it toward the spin bike or treadmill when doing cardio.
- Guest bedroom is on a fixed mount - the mounting bracket itself allows for some tilt as you first mount the TV for adjustment purposes, but it is otherwise fixed once mounting is complete.
- Entertainment room TV is on a tilt and pan mount (it's on an entertainment unit, not a wall mount), I usually keep it pointing straight ahead with a slight tilt downward when sitting closer to it.

What you decide on for your mount is going to depend what you plan on doing with it.
- Fixed mounts are the smallest, cleanest option and keep the TV as tight to the wall as possible. Once you finish mounting the TV, it's staying that way until you get the screwdriver out to adjust the tilt angle. The seating area immediately in front of it will always be the best place to watch it.
- Tilt mounts trade the sleek, clean installation for a little flexibility, the mount will hold the TV slightly farther away from the wall than a fixed mount to allow tilt to work.
- Full-motion arms provide the ultimate in flexibility at the cost of weight and bulk, and you will need to make sure you have enough slack in your cables to allow the TV to extend all the way to the extremities of the arm's movement, which also means cable management is paramount to ensuring it doesn't look like crap.

I got a couple of the mounts from Monoprice, one came with the house, and one I picked up with my TV from Best Buy. For online mounts, read the reviews and make sure you know what to expect. Sometimes the screws they come with are crap and you'll be going to Home Depot for replacements. No big deal. Other times there are build quality issues and the holes are misaligned or rubbish, stay away from those, there are enough options out there that you need not gamble on potentially getting a good one.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:50 PM   #1713
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That's great and all, but it will just prove my point when you spend that much for a receiver that will have obsolete HDMI ports in 3 years. $1700 is a lot of money.

I honestly haven't looked into 4k stuff, because my projector is still 1080, so maybe I'll find a nightmare lurking around that corner. I just hate the endless upgrade cycle and disposing of perfectly good equipment because of spec changes. There must be a better way for industry to handle this. But they like the sales.
Dunno, I think you didn't read my post. Taking a perfectly good receiver with good amplification and getting rid of it is not cool, but the other side of is a valid concern.

Proper HDMI switching for the various protocols and throughput to get it the audio/video processors so they can do their work is going to run you at least $1000. What would be the point of buying a 4k tv and feeding it at 1080p signal over HDMI?

Sure, you can switch HDMI cheaply, but it's not any of the new technology such as DOLBY HDR, Atmos, or XBOX Series X running at 120hz refresh.

For anyone interested I do highly recommend the Anthem MRX540 as it's a bundle of choice. Not only does it offer great amplification, it has all the audio processing you could dream of and supports HDMI v2.1. Because I have experience in very high end audio processors and dedicated amplification then going to a basic Marantz offering (with updated protocols) and then diving back into Anthem, the difference is outstanding. $1700 is an outlay, but I expect at least 10 years out of it. The gains of 4k to 8k aren't going to sway me.

Anyways, my two cents. Basic HDMI switching just doesn't fit the bill for what is approachable and noticably better tech in audio codecs, video codecs and resolutions that require the bandwidth on the new HDMI 2.1 specs.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #1714
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
How do people put their soundbars up when they mount the tv on the wall. I finally got my mount up, now don't know what to do with my soundbars and cable box.
You have a TV in your shower?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 03:13 PM   #1715
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Dunno, I think you didn't read my post. Taking a perfectly good receiver with good amplification and getting rid of it is not cool, but the other side of is a valid concern.

Proper HDMI switching for the various protocols and throughput to get it the audio/video processors so they can do their work is going to run you at least $1000. What would be the point of buying a 4k tv and feeding it at 1080p signal over HDMI?

Sure, you can switch HDMI cheaply, but it's not any of the new technology such as DOLBY HDR, Atmos, or XBOX Series X running at 120hz refresh.

For anyone interested I do highly recommend the Anthem MRX540 as it's a bundle of choice. Not only does it offer great amplification, it has all the audio processing you could dream of and supports HDMI v2.1. Because I have experience in very high end audio processors and dedicated amplification then going to a basic Marantz offering (with updated protocols) and then diving back into Anthem, the difference is outstanding. $1700 is an outlay, but I expect at least 10 years out of it. The gains of 4k to 8k aren't going to sway me.

Anyways, my two cents. Basic HDMI switching just doesn't fit the bill for what is approachable and noticably better tech in audio codecs, video codecs and resolutions that require the bandwidth on the new HDMI 2.1 specs.
Like I said though, I don't have 4k gear, so I see it's an issue there. For my use I've managed to get ~12 years out of my receiver. It's not like it is broken, so I find it annoying I'll have to buy a new one when going to a 4k source.
Old 12-07-2021, 03:20 PM   #1716
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Doesn't everyone?

@DoubleK: You want a sound-bar mount. It'll attach to the TV mount and then the sound-bar bolts onto it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 11:34 PM   #1717
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Ha, I wish. The builder decided to put porcelain tile from floor to ceiling in on the wall with the fireplace. Made finding the studs absolutely delightful.

@TorqueDog I ended up getting a soundbar mount off of Amazon that attached to the tv mount as you suggested. Just got the mantle installed today and will be taking the tv off tomorrow to fit it, now that I know what I have for clearance.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:50 AM   #1718
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i actually got a cheap HDMI 2.1 switch from Amazon for like $50 - works perfectly for my XSX and PS5, and I dont need to buy a new receiver now
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2021, 10:04 AM   #1719
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Might be the right place to post this. Does anyone have an old amplifier kicking around that I could borrow for a couple of weeks. My Christmas light display sound isn't where I want it to be but I am totally reconfiguring everything next year so don't want to buy anything until I have the final layout figured out.

Doesn't need to be fancy or big it is only powering a 50 watt rock speaker.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:05 PM   #1720
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I broke the amplifier in my theatre subwoofer when I unplugged it the other day. I can replace the part for $280 (seems expensive but I can’t recall what I paid for the sub new). Am I better off getting something new at this point? It’s a Polk Audio PSW404, 200w 10” that I’ve been very happy with, but could be better options out there these days. Any suggestions from the audiophiles?
Brendone is online now   Reply With Quote