Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2021, 11:25 AM   #41
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on man it's "no book spoilers" right in the thread title...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:27 AM   #42
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is going to be like Game of Thrones all over again.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #43
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Come on man it's "no book spoilers" right in the thread title...
Not sure if it's directed at me but I was complaining about style and universe, I don't think I spoke about any plot points.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:31 AM   #44
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Not sure if it's directed at me but I was complaining about style and universe, I don't think I spoke about any plot points.
You have a spoilered section that is big spoilers from the books.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:31 AM   #45
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
You have a spoilered section that is big spoilers from the books.
Yes and it's behind spoiler tags? Is that now how it works or is spoiler tags also not allowed? I can remove it if people are tempted to click.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #46
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
That's the feeling I have, that HBO wants a new Game of Thrones epic. I think there's already a few mini series about Bene Gesserits planned, etc. With Apple's Foundation (a 5000 year epic), I can see HBO jumping on this to flesh out the books and universe but I worry it will be like 10 years of waiting.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lets do it.

'Book Readers' are insufferable! Then we can funnel them into the 'University System' thread and then sort them out in the Civic Politics threads!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #48
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's the feeling I have, that HBO wants a new Game of Thrones epic. I think there's already a few mini series about Bene Gesserits planned, etc. With Apple's Foundation (a 5000 year epic), I can see HBO jumping on this to flesh out the books and universe but I worry it will be like 10 years of waiting.
Oh I just meant for the potential for book readers to be ####ing annoying.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #49
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not going to get into a detailed discussion due to spoilers, but it is interesting watching Foundation at the same time, and seeing so many parallels between the 2.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:11 PM   #50
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am sad to say this but I really despise Villeneuve's style. He's a great auteur and I can see that but his style simply does not fit with my personal tastes.

All his movies look exactly the same with the same cold and sterile blandness. I would almost say he was inspired by the brutalism of 1970s Montreal architecture. Whether it's Arrival or BR2049 or Dune, everything is sanitized, simplified, brutalist, clean. Nothing looks lived in. It just looks like stone washed concrete. The ships are the simplified round pods of arrival turned on the side. The Atreidies Starships look like concrete sandcrawlers. He managed to even make mentats and Harkonen look clean when they should be mutated by chemicals, spice, and the industrial pollution of their worlds. Everybody just wears grey. There's very little flourish.

Dune is a story of great houses with thousands of years of history and pomp and extravagance. The 1984 Lynch film actually captured some of this Rococo in the Imperial court and in the spacecraft. For example, the docking port of the Guild Heighliner with it's architectural flourish. I'm not saying everything should look like Warhammer 40K but there should be some feeling of millenia of decadence and decay to things.

Giedi Prime and the Harkonen lack the industrial, polluted, grotesque look to them. Arrakis is just more barren concrete that looked just the same as the port on Caledon. In fact there was nothing unique about Caledonian architecture at all aside from looking like it was in the Scottish Highlands. Everything there was just brutalist concrete as well. There isn't the desert mosaic HR Giger uniqueness to the alien world or stillsuits.

The costumes were all boring, everybody is just wearing your standard modern day superhero armor in various shades of grey. The one future dream of the Jihad had everybody in gold Ironman armor. There are hardly any touches of military tradition or decoration. The Sardaukar just look like astronauts (why are they even in this anyway? they shouldn't show up at this point or the Landstraat would learn of Imperial meddling).

Everything is just clean and desolate and I would be ok if this was a stylistic choice but the fact that every one of his movies looks like this just makes me unhappy with his films as they are not compatible with my perspective on these universes. I came away from BR2049 incredibly disappointed that it didn't feel lived in like the first one and felt just as cold and sterile as does Dune and Arrival.

I still enjoyed the film but his style is just not for me. Everything looks like the Montreal Metro and the 1976 Olympics.
Personally I really like Villeneuve's visual style, but I have to say Dune, while I thought it looked and sounded really really good, was also in many ways disappointingly safe. So many recycled visual ideas from either the Lynch movie or BR2049, with a soundtrack that's really heavily reminiscent of the latter.

The way the story was told was also, to me, disappointingly safe. All the themes that are so integral to Dune were really tossed aside to just tell the very basic plot points of the story.

Overall this first Dune story which always gets filmed and repeated would really benefit if it already integrated the themes which are the central thesis of basically the rest of the series.

Spoiler!

The one saving grace was that at least there was a small attempt to code the Atreides as just the friendlier face of the essentially the same military occupation.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:18 PM   #51
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Spoiler!
And this is super relevant to today's world and politics (as it always is). However being a faithful adaptation of the book's structure means that this lesson (which we should remember in our bones!) means viewers will have to read between the lines a bit.

It's funny I read a review that said that Paul's visions of the future (being stabbed, not stabbed) were like Dr. Strange's possible outcomes in Endgame. It's funny how Dune was prescient (har har) in even establishing this ideas that are recycled in modern media.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:22 PM   #52
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I just meant for the potential for book readers to be ####ing annoying.
Funny story, the original GoT thread was full on spoilers for books and tv show. Then about half a season into it, it got hijacked by the show watchers who declared that spoilers were outlawed, after originally conceding that spoilers were acceptable because the thread was started as a place for book and tv talk. There were even individual posters flip flopping. And now they’re banned. Coincidence?

As for this thread, I am totally ok with spoiler tags as long as they’re used for all book talk, no exceptions.

I also thought Hack’s long post about the world was fine as it focused on the movie and I don’t think talking about costumes is a spoiler. It was a really interesting take too I thought.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-26-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:39 PM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So...they're 'Fremen on the Sand?'

I know, I know, I'll show myself out.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 12:39 PM   #54
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people should understand that it is already an incredibly tricky adaptation, it will not be what they envision themselves, and this version the story needs to stand on it's own. It's way to early to judge if this version is a success or not, because we have just started to see the story. Personally I love the esthetic, and am looking forward to see how this version unfolds.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:44 PM   #55
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dune Part 2 now official.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d...el-1235094974/

super happy that there will be a full movie that covers the first book at minimum
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 12:49 PM   #56
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Dune Part 2 now official.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d...el-1235094974/

super happy that there will be a full movie that covers the first book at minimum
I'm not sure if you're allowed to use the word "book" in here...
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #57
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
I'm not sure if you're allowed to use the word "book" in here...
Old 10-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #58
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

So guys...

HARK-O-NEN

or

HARK-IN-EN

???????
Old 10-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #59
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1453059611142000641
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:53 PM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: