Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2021, 09:12 AM   #101
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

And now we wait for the NIL fallout and whether there’s a new QB1 in Oklahoma:

https://www.si.com/college/2021/10/0...b-williams-nil

Quote:
While Rattler’s star fades, another rises. Williams, a Washington, D.C. native, threw for 212 yards, ran for 88 and scored three touchdowns. He’s ahead in the NIL game, described by some as a savvy social media “influencer.” In fact, he’s got his own YouTube channel.

“He’s already an influencer,” says one NIL executive. “Now he is about to be a player.”

But his coach is, at least right now, standing in the way of him seeking publicity in the media.

Riley denied a request from ESPN to interview Williams after the game, something reported by sideline reporter Holly Rowe, who even approached the quarterback to deliver him the news: You can’t talk.

It is somewhat normal for major college coaches to deny true freshmen to speak to reporters. However, in the NIL era, it’s a move that can be seen as a coach hurting his player’s potential exposure and future financial ventures.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #102
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

So how do the rankings look this week?
Georgia
Iowa
Oklahoma

Than does a team like Cincinnati get into the top 4, or is this where Bama or OSU end up?

I do think Ohio State and Alabama likely end up in the 4 team playoff with Georgia and Oklahoma.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 10-10-2021 at 09:49 AM.
Sylvanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #103
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
So how do the rankings look this week?
Georgia
Iowa
Oklahoma

Than does a team like Cincinnati get into the top 4, or is this where Bama or OSU end up?

I do think Ohio State and Alabama likely end up in the 4 team playoff with Georgia and Oklahoma.
After 1-2 it’s a crapshoot this week. I do think the undefeated (OU and Michigan) should slot into 3-4 now. And Cincinnati and Kentucky deserve consideration too. Then i probably slot in Penn State and Ohio State in that order. Alabama lost to an unranked team , they should be no higher than 9 in my opinion.

Bama still controls it’s destiny I think and I fully expect them to be in the conservation at the end of the season.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:09 AM   #104
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

If a team like Cincinnati rent given top 4 this week....when will it ever happen?

They have dominated the weaker teams including a top 10 team on the road, and are more likely than not to finish the season 12-0 (barring major injury obviously)

What else can they do?
Old 10-10-2021, 10:20 AM   #105
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
After 1-2 it’s a crapshoot this week. I do think the undefeated (OU and Michigan) should slot into 3-4 now. And Cincinnati and Kentucky deserve consideration too. Then i probably slot in Penn State and Ohio State in that order. Alabama lost to an unranked team , they should be no higher than 9 in my opinion.

Bama still controls it’s destiny I think and I fully expect them to be in the conservation at the end of the season.
Losing to an unranked team is irrelevant. Oklahoma was one play away from losing to Texas, who have the same record as A&M.

How do OU and Michigan leapfrog Cincy? Neither had a signature win this week. Kentucky has a signature win but no one will take them seriously until after next week when they play Georgia. Bama is still a top team and, assuming they go undefeated the rest of the way and play Georgia in the SEC championship game, that will ultimately decide their fate.

Top 5
Georgia
Iowa
Cincy
OU
Bama

Beyond that I’m not sure.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #106
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean do the ranking really matter at this point? What matters is who have probably played themselves out of the playoff, and none of the big guns have done that yet. Everyone in the top 10 or so pretty much controls their destiny, win out and you are in.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #107
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
If a team like Cincinnati rent given top 4 this week....when will it ever happen?

They have dominated the weaker teams including a top 10 team on the road, and are more likely than not to finish the season 12-0 (barring major injury obviously)

What else can they do?
I get what you say, but there still needs to be a few more Black Swan events that need to go down for it to happen.

Cincinnati have to win out, and they'll need it so that Alabama lose the SEC Championship to Georgia. The Big Ten West is much weaker than the East, so I think one loss by Iowa in that Championship game if they get there will pretty much end their season. The ACC has tripped itself up pretty well already, and this might be the weakest Pac12 that I can remember save that oddity that was Oregon beating Ohio State. I don't know if they (Cincinnati) can crack the top 4 yet because of how the system is set up, but I do think that this year more than any will provide that unlikely opportunity.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #108
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

The full AP Top 25:
1. Georgia (62)
2. Iowa
3. Cincinnati
4. Oklahoma
5. Alabama
6. Ohio State
7. Penn State
8. Michigan
9. Oregon
10. Michigan State
11. Kentucky
12. Oklahoma State
13. Ole Miss
14. Notre Dame
15. Coastal Carolina
16. Wake Forest
17. Arkansas
18. Arizona State
19. BYU
20. Florida
21. Texas A&M
22. NC State
23. SMU
24. San Diego State
25. Texas
Old 10-13-2021, 03:52 PM   #109
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean do the ranking really matter at this point? What matters is who have probably played themselves out of the playoff, and none of the big guns have done that yet. Everyone in the top 10 or so pretty much controls their destiny, win out and you are in.
Rankings are completely irrelevant at this time of year other than for conversation purposes. But it's still fun to debate. The only rankings that matter come out in 3 weeks, then we'll see where everyone sits. And there is still along way to go before we get to that point and a lot will change. Every year we do this and every year things mostly work themselves out by the end of the season.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #110
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

So maybe its happened before but when perusing the lines erlier today, i noticed the O/U for the Tennessee/Ole Miss game is 82.5.

I dont recall ever seeing such a number in all my years paying attention to such.

Anyone else?
Old 10-16-2021, 11:24 AM   #111
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

LSU up 21-6 on Florida in the 2nd with a depleted roster.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #112
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha Texas
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #113
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

This lsu florida second half has been great. Tigers just went up 49-42 on 4th and goal from the 1. Ballsy call too, play action and he almost didn’t get the throw off.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:08 PM   #114
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Iowa’s Cinderella run appears to be coming to an end.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:37 PM   #115
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iowa had a lot of good luck getting to this point, so not surprised they lost, but losing to Purdue at home was a bit of a surprise, especially with Purdue shutting Iowa down as much as they have.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:23 PM   #116
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Purdue has a bit of a history as a giant killer. This is the 8th time they have taken down the #2 team while being unranked themselves.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:42 PM   #117
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So maybe its happened before but when perusing the lines erlier today, i noticed the O/U for the Tennessee/Ole Miss game is 82.5.

I dont recall ever seeing such a number in all my years paying attention to such.

Anyone else?
Hope you took the under
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:54 AM   #118
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

have to wonder what Spencer Rattler is going to do. Caleb Williams is looking really good and should have that starter job pretty much locked up now, so ... transfer?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #119
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
have to wonder what Spencer Rattler is going to do. Caleb Williams is looking really good and should have that starter job pretty much locked up now, so ... transfer?
That’s the rumor.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:52 AM   #120
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Ed Orgeron and LSU have reached an agreement that he will not return as coach of the Tigers next season, sources told ESPN, confirming a report by Sports Illustrated.

He is expected to finish out the remainder of the 2021 season as the team's coach.
https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...on-sources-say