Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2022, 09:16 AM   #921
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
I’m helping a friend look at acreage properties and I am absolutely shocked at the total lack of inventory right now. Seems like the most of the properties available are around Bragg Creek and over the $2M range. It will be interesting if more properties become available in the spring.
With wfh becoming normalized, property outside the city looks even more attractive to people with lots of money. I wouldn’t expect prices to come down any time soon.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:36 AM   #922
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I looked at acreages once and damn they are pricey.

The property taxes are insanity too.

You need to be rich rich to live there IMO. (or have rich parents)
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:13 AM   #923
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Definitely an important qualifier.

For the sake of clarity, I was assuming Blankall was referring to above ground square footage, which is the industry standard for new and realtor listed homes in Alberta, with basement square footage being added to that number.

Referring to a 2800 sf townhouse should mean there are 2800 sf above ground and additional square footage in the basement.

For example, referring to a 3,000 sf bungalow takes on a whole different meaning, depending on whether you're including the basement, or just above ground space (same for a 2800 sf townhouse too, I suppose)...
I was looking at the listing, which had it at 2800 square feet. The listing was not an official listing, and was an ad on a realtors website. So the realtor could have been playing with the numbers. Just says "2800 square feet". Doesn't give other details about usable space.

Having seen it, it's definitely not 2800 plus the basement. It's 2800 including the basement.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:22 AM   #924
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty depressing right now if your price range is in that 500k-750k zone. Any hope things will look better in the summer, at least from an inventory/panic buying perspective??
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #925
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Pretty depressing right now if your price range is in that 500k-750k zone. Any hope things will look better in the summer, at least from an inventory/panic buying perspective??
Are you buying or selling? That range is hot in my neighborhoods.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:02 PM   #926
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Viewed a place in Signal Hill yesterday. It was a pretty nice house, but there were five viewings in the span of an hour. Seems like everything that's halfway decent is getting a ton interest regardless of the price or neighborhood.

Hopefully the feds hike rates soon to stabilize things. This is a little too crazy

Last edited by boogerz; 01-22-2022 at 10:00 PM.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:20 PM   #927
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

We bought in Panorama in Aug 2020 for $550k, and since then I've kept my realtor.ca filters active just to see how things change. Prices stayed pretty stagnant for similar houses for about a year after, but now in the last few months they've started to sharply increase. Now anything in the neighborhood with similar sqft is listing in the $650k-$700k range, and I've never seen the inventory this low. Stuff that does get listed seems to be gone in a week or two, so I'm guessing there's not many price drops happening. Feel for anyone looking to buy right now, this year is probably going to be the nuttiest year yet for Calgary
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:25 PM   #928
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
JC. Isn’t a $550k mortgage like $2500/month...before an interest rate hike? Property tax and heat, and I have to think this whole thing is a house of cards in a wind storm. $3000 a month for a god dammed house, and they’re selling like hot cakes? Man, I’m looking at jobs, and I just don’t see how there’s enough people making enough money to support this market.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:32 PM   #929
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Median family income supports the median SFH so things aren’t out of whack.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 12:35 PM   #930
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
JC. Isn’t a $550k mortgage like $2500/month...before an interest rate hike? Property tax and heat, and I have to think this whole thing is a house of cards in a wind storm. $3000 a month for a god dammed house, and they’re selling like hot cakes? Man, I’m looking at jobs, and I just don’t see how there’s enough people making enough money to support this market.
Calgary in one of (if not the most) affordable cities in North American when you look at average household income vs cost of housing

https://www.zoocasa.com/blog/canada-...ty-comparison/

It is one of the few cities that didn;t experience a 20-40 % jump in prices over the last year

Supply is at an all time low. While housing in a lot of places is out of whack, Calgary isnt actually one of them
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 12:38 PM   #931
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post

I don’t know. That seems to indicate no down payment, also not sure if anybody would qualify for that mortgage amount without a high enough paying job. The rental market still looks fine at the moment.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:46 PM   #932
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder what new builds are like now in this market, is there any negotiation room on price? My guess is no and any/all incentives they used to offer (ie. free basement finish) are now gone
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:47 PM   #933
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I wonder what new builds are like now in this market, is there any negotiation room on price? My guess is no and any/all incentives they used to offer (ie. free basement finish) are now gone
That’s how it goes though. Like in 2008 there were tons of deals if you bought places, and then once things turn, those offers and deals are gone. It makes perfect sense. Why give a special deal today, when supply is so limited and demand is outstripping it, when you have no issue moving places?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:03 PM   #934
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got a 1 bedroom condo in South Calgary (by Marda Loop). Hoping prices pick up soon and I can sell my unit.. been patiently waiting for a few years now.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:33 PM   #935
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
I’m helping a friend look at acreage properties and I am absolutely shocked at the total lack of inventory right now. Seems like the most of the properties available are around Bragg Creek and over the $2M range. It will be interesting if more properties become available in the spring.
Though I suspect those $2M properties were $3+M properties a few years ago. The high-end market in the Calgary area is still down significantly from the pre-2014 prices.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 05:10 PM   #936
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

The lack of supply is making people do silly things in the 500k range for sure. A place came up in Somerset on Thursday for $475,000 and sold on Friday for $511,000. Tough to get into the market if you're going to get outbid by these sudden no-conditions offers.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:14 PM   #937
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn’t surprise me that 500k number is a tough market. I believe that is the average house price in the city and you probably have a lot of people looking to get out of a condo into a house. The last 2 years where people have been stuck at home many are either tired of their place or want more space.

Home office is more important now than it was before Covid. Having an outdoor living space is more important than it was before. Having more space is desirable when you are not going out as much and with gyms closing and personal training apps taking off having a home gym space is ideal.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 07:50 PM   #938
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
The lack of supply is making people do silly things in the 500k range for sure. A place came up in Somerset on Thursday for $475,000 and sold on Friday for $511,000. Tough to get into the market if you're going to get outbid by these sudden no-conditions offers.
Sub 500k listings in cities like Winnipeg and Halifax are often going for 100k-150k over with 20+ bids.

$475k listing going for $511k is pretty tame in comparison.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 01-22-2022 at 08:39 PM.
Johnny199r is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 11:06 AM   #939
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Sub 500k listings in cities like Winnipeg and Halifax are often going for 100k-150k over with 20+ bids.

$475k listing going for $511k is pretty tame in comparison.
I get it, and I dread seeing that happen in Calgary too, but it's more just me venting my frustration more than anything. I don't have the ability to compete with these people throwing these big no-condition offers around so it's looking less and less likely that I'll find a place I'm looking for any time soon. I'm probably going to be making the biggest purchase of my life on a 15 minute rushed look through a house. It's not enjoyable in the slightest for anyone.

Last edited by Mazrim; 01-23-2022 at 11:08 AM.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:08 AM   #940
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I get it, and I dread seeing that happen in Calgary too, but it's more just me venting my frustration more than anything. I don't have the ability to compete with these people throwing these big no-condition offers around so it's looking less and less likely that I'll find a place I'm looking for any time soon.
I’m in the same boat. People are putting offers in that are 40-50k over asking, with zero conditions. They aren’t even getting home inspections done. It’s craziness.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote