Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-18-2022, 04:25 PM   #9921
OptimalTates
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I don't think a public whistleblowing is the standard impetus to launch audits on police service operations.

The optics on targeting an elected official is a very formidable challenge for his position. Of course he acted on this. How many cases of non-high profile Albertans were targeted by police forces abusing their power? For every Phillips there's probably 100 average people who also suffered position of power abuses.

Madu appears to have followed the right procedure after being filled in, but you're giving Madu too much credit here. And we shouldn't have to wait for incidents to happen for reactive quality improvement on taxpayer-funded policing.
But that's what was happening.

These allegations, of which we can separate into three different categories (restaurant photographing, memegate, and the database search), have gone or will go through the proper channels.

The photographing was handled through the LERB appropriately. Whether by design or as an unintended consequence of the Police Act, the release of the disciplinary hearing was the first time the allegations went public. It was at that point that the Justice Minister was informed. That was Doug, not Madu. Phillips has appealed the ruling believing harsher sentences are required and her appeal granted as she was not aware of all the misconduct (her colleagues being followed) at the time she made the complaint. However, one of the officers, Woronuk, has since resigned.

The memegate investigation is maybe closer to what you're requesting. It began in 2018 over accusations of officers spreading offensive memes, mostly about their superiors, but did become that more overarching investigation you were looking for including workplace harassment and the like. Sentencing has occurred for some of the officers (a year demotion), two have since resigned (note that one of the officers is Woronuk) and another was to be sentenced this month sometime.

And then in 2021, Phillips released her FOIP request to CBC which showed misconduct by officers accessing her file in 2019. Madu immediately required Lethbridge police to come up with an action plan to fix the issues.

But the overall dysfunction of the Lethbridge police service was near it's peak in summer of 2020 with accusations being flung about workplace harassment from the (acting) chief by anonymous officers. That was when the photographing scandal was released. It was a complete mess.

In July 2020, Chief Mehdizadeh was appointed. So before Madu got his role, an investigation was already occurring and the chief had just been replaced.

It also probably shouldn't be the Justice Minister's role to babysit the police forces. He's to make policy that provides them with the right oversight, ASIRT, LERB. But the overall police conduct and police oversight should really fall to the municipality. They appoint the police commission. The commission appoints the chief. The commission provides oversight. That's it's purpose in the Police Act. If the service isn't doing it's job, that's the municipalities fault more than anyone.

And that separation is fine. Do you really want Kenney to have more say in Calgary's policing? Want him to appoint a chief? His own private commissioners? Let's be careful what we wish for here lol. It's the Lethbridge Police Force, we don't want to the UCP to decide to come up with a provincial police force.

Madu (or whatever future Justice Minister) should be stepping in at times when he's needed because the overall system has failed. Like when the Lethbridge Police Commission Members decided not to hold an inquiry but Madu told LERB to do one anyways.

Otherwise the way he should be protecting the rights of others is through police change like banning of carding he did or making sure ASIRT has the proper resources, which apparently he has failed miserably at.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:25 PM   #9922
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Had a good laugh at this Tweet. More fireworks on the Madu ticket situation, this time from the President of the Edmonton Police Association.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1483917610055979008
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 07:48 PM   #9923
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Had a good laugh at this Tweet. More fireworks on the Madu ticket situation, this time from the President of the Edmonton Police Association.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1483917610055979008
Quick thinking by Madu, get into a Twitter fit with a Union official to try and get back into the good graces of UCP leadership.

Does anyone else see the irony of Madu continuing to engage with police while under investigation for inappropriately engaging with police while he was Minister of Justice?
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:37 AM   #9924
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Without knowing full details of the situation from both sides, bottom line from a pure intellect perspective, this guy just doesn't have the mental brain power to continue to be in a position such as Justice Ministry. He's just to stupid to govern, end of story.

People in positions of power can usually get VIP treatment in a whole host of scenarios, just the fact of life. I am not saying I agree with him calling the Edmonton Chief , that was wrong on a million levels, but why would YOU PERSONALLY call? If you feel like your ticket was issued in error and racial profiling or improper surveillance occurred, at least use some level of street smart to get your point across. Have some low level, volunteer from a campaign or some acquaintance fire off an email to the Chief, I am sure it would have at least drawn some minor investigation from the Chief in Edmonton to see if the event actually occurred.

The irony is that he continues to say the he wasn't guilty of the charge on the ticket, which may or may not be true and than paid it. At least go through the proper channels of a not guilty plea and traffic court and I can almost assure you that this ticket gets squashed. I don't see a situation where a young police officer goes to traffic court to discuss events with the Justice Minister. This is a minor traffic offense and right or wrong, certain people in certain positions of power can get VIP treatment.

What probably happened was this guy got caught texting someone, got very cocky with the officer and treated them very poorly as a result of it. The police officer wrote the ticket with the expectation that it may get squashed though "proper channels" or paid as a result of being likely guilty of the offense Very few police, transit police or by law officers don't know who the Justice Minister of Alberta is or his name. This would be like people not knowing who their CEO of their company would. In essences, the Minister is like the top cop.

This clown, with his long list of paper acknowledgements, resume and education is just another moron who can't fathom that their career may be over as a result of texting someone. He probably pissed off the Chief, who asked the asked the officer for his version of events which included running the plate and seeing it was Madu. They probably followed all rules. Maybe someone in the know of this story had a loved ones surgery canceled or some other bad side effect of the UCP and Covid and leaked it to the press.

Classic moron behavior
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:11 AM   #9925
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having met Madu on many occasions, I have never come away with the impression of intelligence.

I also happen to know that he is seldomly consulted about any actual ministerial matters, most of his portfolio is run directly through cabinet, and he's largely just a placeholder.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:17 AM   #9926
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

He's only in Cabinet because he's the only UCP representation from the province's capital. That's it. He's not good enough as a politician or professional to be a Minister let alone a Justice Minister. He was Minister of Municipal Affairs before, and he just got moved over. He's not even well liked in Edmonton as far as I can tell.

I think he's toast in 2023.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:35 PM   #9927
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
According to Parker, chronic shortages of paramedics have been compounded by high numbers of staff off sick or isolating due to COVID-19 and burnout.
"The entire system is under this immense pressure. This is a key indicator of how bad it truly is," he said.
Quote:
"It's a reflection of the strain on the system as a whole because I'm convinced that if the patients who we had in the emergency department, who've already been admitted — we know what they have, their treatment has started, we just don't have a bed upstairs — if they had timely access to their upstairs bed, which they're waiting for, we wouldn't have an EMS offload problem."
Parker said the urgent download system is designed for mass casualty incidents, not routine use. But it's happening more and more often, including in Edmonton and Medicine Hat.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...dics-1.6321833

So we are back to crisis levels. What are the odds this government has long term plans to fix this?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:19 PM   #9928
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

So we are back to crisis levels. What are the odds this government has long term plans to fix this?
Blame Trudeau. Tried, tested, and true.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 05:38 PM   #9929
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

To be fair I don't think any of our provincial governments or the federal government have any plans or even the slightest clue how to fix our health care system.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 05:54 PM   #9930
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
To be fair I don't think any of our provincial governments or the federal government have any plans or even the slightest clue how to fix our health care system.
Lets fire them all. We'll rule by tribal councils from now on.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:30 PM   #9931
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Sad part is, they've spent money on reports telling them what's wrong.... though that was pre-pandemic

BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:05 AM   #9932
GordonBlue
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
disagree. I believe many of them do have a clue but don't have the will.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 09:10 AM   #9933
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
disagree. I believe many of them do have a clue but don't have the will.
Fair point. That might apply to Canadians as a whole too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:16 AM   #9934
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

K-6 curriculum being rushed through, and to be implemented in the fall. Social Studies being held back due to potential long term trauma to children. Every part of this curriculum has been lam-blasted as a step backwards.

I honestly thought that this was dead when school boards across the province refused to beta-test this nonsense last September.

Quote:
“If they are going to implement this in the fall, they can’t expect teachers to do this work over the summer to get prepared. That has to come earlier. That’s why we said we need to put a moratorium on this from the get-go, because there are still many questions around the content.”
https://globalnews.ca/news/8528647/a...ix-curriculum/
Old 01-21-2022, 11:22 AM   #9935
GordonBlue
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
K-6 curriculum being rushed through, and to be implemented in the fall. Social Studies being held back due to potential long term trauma to children. Every part of this curriculum has been lam-blasted as a step backwards.

I honestly thought that this was dead when school boards across the province refused to beta-test this nonsense last September.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8528647/a...ix-curriculum/
to summarize:

Carla Peck is a social studies professor at the University of Alberta. She has also worked on previous curricula.

Peck is alarmed that the curriculum is being moved forward so quickly.
“They don’t care about the significant concerns — they just don’t care. They have an agenda. They are moving forward with the agenda and it doesn’t matter that significant concerns have been raised.”

that's the government in a nutshell.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 06:53 PM   #9936
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

So when did Kenney know about the phone call?

Braid: Details of Madu phone call were known to premier's closest staff in March 2021
Quote:
Key people in Premier Jason Kenney’s inner circle, those right at the centre of power, knew what had happened within a couple of days of the minister’s call to Chief Dale McFee of the Edmonton Police Service.
They were very worried about repercussions. And they did their best to keep it quiet.

Kenney said Thursday: “I do recall at some point last year hearing that minister Madu had gotten a ticket, had paid for it.”

He added that he wasn’t fully briefed on “the call and the details” until this past Monday, after the CBC’s Elise von Scheel and Janice Johnston broke the story.

Quote:
Very quickly after the call between Madu and McFee, staff were trying to figure out how to handle this.

Environment and Parks Minister Jason Nixon, a key political adviser to the premier, discussed the matter with Pam Livingston, then Kenney’s deputy chief of staff, now the chief.

Nixon also talked to Municipal Affairs Minister Ric McIver.

Other key people were told directly what had happened, apparently with details of the chief’s reaction to the call.

They included Larry Kaumeyer, who at that point was Kenney’s chief of staff, and Matt Wolf, his issues manager. After learning the details, they both talked to Madu.

Both Kaumeyer and Wolf have since left the government.
So either Kenney knew about the phone call and picked his wording carefully "I wasn't fully briefed until march", or his closest most senior staff knew and didn't tell him. I'm not sure which is worse.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/braid...-in-march-2021

Last edited by Torture; 01-21-2022 at 06:55 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 07:24 PM   #9937
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
So either Kenney knew about the phone call and picked his wording carefully "I wasn't fully briefed until march", or his closest most senior staff knew and didn't tell him. I'm not sure which is worse.
I have a feeling that Kenney doesn't want to deal with these types of issues and he doesn't want his career to potential be brought down by them so he has a policy where he doesn't want to be briefed or informed. That way he can try to save face by claiming he knows nothing.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:25 PM   #9938
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's only in Cabinet because he's the only UCP representation from the province's capital. That's it. He's not good enough as a politician or professional to be a Minister let alone a Justice Minister. He was Minister of Municipal Affairs before, and he just got moved over. He's not even well liked in Edmonton as far as I can tell.

I think he's toast in 2023.
And he’s a lawyer. You pretty much need to have a law degree to be justice minister and available MLAs with law degrees is a short list.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:22 PM   #9939
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I have a feeling that Kenney doesn't want to deal with these types of issues and he doesn't want his career to potential be brought down by them so he has a policy where he doesn't want to be briefed or informed. That way he can try to save face by claiming he knows nothing.
I think it's totally possible you're right. Of course, a better way to avoid having your political career derailed by the idiots around you is to deal with them immediately and appropriately. But true leadership really isn't Kenney's strong suit.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:09 PM   #9940
Smartcar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was curious about how many distracted driving tickets are issued so I looked it up.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/4c02...ities-2021.pdf

It’s surprising that there are so many more in Edmonton than Calgary. I wonder whether it’s because E=NG or EPS is more diligent than CPS.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pleatedkhakis , whywouldthendpdothis