Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #10341
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
What this sentiment reflects is a lack of understanding that for many Canadians, conservative policies disqualify them from government. You don't get to be PM by just being a "nice guy".
No, it's exactly the opposite.

The political spectrum in Canada is well distributed enough that conservative parties had formed governments in the past. This election isn't about policy. It's about personality. Canadians are going to vote for Trudeau over Scheer because they think that he - Trudeau - is in fact a nice guy (nicer than Scheer anyway).
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #10342
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
I looked up the strategic vote in my riding and CPC incumbent was at 75%, so my vote was wasted but screw it. So happy this is almost done and then the provincial horror show budget can drop finally too.
Totally. I'm actually really "excited" to see what Kenney and Ford have in store for their respective provinces that they had to give themselves extra vacation in order to have it come out after the election.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #10343
iggy_oi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
No, it's exactly the opposite.

The political spectrum in Canada is well distributed enough that conservative parties had formed governments in the past. This election isn't about policy. It's about personality. Canadians are going to vote for Trudeau over Scheer because they think that he - Trudeau - is in fact a nice guy (nicer than Scheer anyway).
You really think people arenít voting for Scheer because in their opinion other candidates are nicer than him?

SebC is absolutely right, whether you want to acknowledge it or not there are conservative policies that a lot of Canadians see as complete non-starters in terms of getting their votes.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #10344
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
You really think people aren’t voting for Scheer because in their opinion other candidates are nicer than him?

SebC is absolutely right, whether you want to acknowledge it or not there are conservative policies that a lot of Canadians see as complete non-starters in terms of getting their votes.
The people that think that, thought it before Scheer came along. The simple fact of the matter is that there was a conservative majority government in this country only a few years ago. So suggesting that Canadians can't stomach conservative ideals is simply wrong. There are enough voters that can, and have, voted CPC.

And here we have Trudeau being a gong show and a criminal, and NEEDING to go. Yet people can't vote CPC. It isn't political ideals, it is his (lack of) personality.

(though comments from you and SebC are not at all surprising, considering the sources)
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #10345
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Bottom line...just a horrible search engine that doesnt seem like it should be that difficult to set up...though i am completely illiterate with that stuff as far as how they work.
That search engine needs improvements. I went to vote at the River Church and was told I needed to be at Richmond School. Simple mixups like that should not happen and could result in people not voting.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #10346
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luder View Post
Right after the Star Wars trailer on Monday Night Football

Yup, big time. plus its football. I can flip back to CTV to get updated, but unlike previous years, I'm not spending hours watching election coverage unless Justin loses and I can feed on the tears and misery of the CBC panel.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #10347
the_only_turek_fan
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Only 1 person in front of me at the polling station. Unfortunately she didn't have her voter card, ID, piece of mail, anything. Makes me wonder how these people manage to get through life.
They vote for Trudeau.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #10348
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nothing he could do or say would change your opinion on that. I agree that he is a dishrag and is hard to like. But integrity isn't an issue (well, within that sad confines of today's political spectrum, anyway).
He's done his fair share of shady stuff on his own, and not just during this campaign. He was heavily involved the robocall business in 2011 for instance. It's not on the same level as Trudeau but I have little doubt he'd an unscrupulous leader.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #10349
iggy_oi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The people that think that, thought it before Scheer came along. The simple fact of the matter is that there was a conservative majority government in this country only a few years ago. So suggesting that Canadians can't stomach conservative ideals is simply wrong. There are enough voters that can, and have, voted CPC.

And here we have Trudeau being a gong show and a criminal, and NEEDING to go. Yet people can't vote CPC. It isn't political ideals, it is his (lack of) personality.

(though comments from you and SebC are not at all surprising, considering the sources)
You should go back and re-read my post. You clearly didnít the first time as I never said Canadians canít stomach conservative ideals, what I said was that there are conservative policies(meaning some, not all) that many Canadians(again meaning some, not all) will simply not support and consider them dealbreakers. Are you seriously trying to argue that that is not the case? Personally Iím not voting for Scheer because of his partiesí labour policies, could you please explain to me what that has to do with his personality?
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #10350
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

This seems like nonsensical reasoning for why people vote a different way than you. In 2015, maybe, but Trudeau has shown himself to be an absolute clown and a corrupt one at that... but people are only voting Liberal because of... Trudeau? What?

People voting Liberal are likely doing it despite Trudeau, not because of him. I think suggesting that people are voting the same as you because ďthey must not be looking at policy!Ē is very silly. Fact of the matter is, while personality is a factor, itís nonsense to think that itís the only reason Scheer isnít slam dunking this. Heís up against a buffoon. At a certain point, the Conservatives have to have better policies. Someone who isnít suffering from chocolate milk withdrawals all the time would help, but you better believe people arenít voting CPC because of their policies as well.

Maybe itís Alberta-blindness, I dunno. Conservative policies are not universally acceptable to Canadians. Thatís not a controversial statement.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #10351
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This seems like nonsensical reasoning for why people vote a different way than you. In 2015, maybe, but Trudeau has shown himself to be an absolute clown and a corrupt one at that... but people are only voting Liberal because of... Trudeau? What?

People voting Liberal are likely doing it despite Trudeau, not because of him. I think suggesting that people are voting the same as you because “they must not be looking at policy!” is very silly. Fact of the matter is, while personality is a factor, it’s nonsense to think that it’s the only reason Scheer isn’t slam dunking this. He’s up against a buffoon. At a certain point, the Conservatives have to have better policies. Someone who isn’t suffering from chocolate milk withdrawals all the time would help, but you better believe people aren’t voting CPC because of their policies as well.

Maybe it’s Alberta-blindness, I dunno. Conservative policies are not universally acceptable to Canadians. That’s not a controversial statement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_C...deral_election

What are you even talking about? Literally one government ago.

"Universally acceptable" is a pretty unrealistic bar.

Last edited by nik-; 10-21-2019 at 02:22 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #10352
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Bill C-69 (etc) doesnít change the ďofficial channelsĒ (ie: the rules that have to be followed)?
For Trans Mountain, the pipeline being discussed? No, it did not.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #10353
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_C...deral_election

What are you even talking about? Literally one government ago.

There isn't much that's universally acceptable to any nation.
Right, but thatís part of what Iím suggesting. Even when the Conservatives win itís not like theyíre voted in by every Canadian and the only reason Scheer isnít getting the same treatment is because he isnít ďnice enough.Ē

I took Enochís post to mean the only reason people would vote Trudeau over Scheer is personality. Considering the train wreck of Trudeau and basic history and demographics, Iíd say itís more likely because they donít like Conservative policies (those not voting CPC, of course).
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #10354
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

People voting Liberal are likely doing it despite Trudeau, not because of him. I think suggesting that people are voting the same as you because ďthey must not be looking at policy!Ē is very silly. Fact of the matter is, while personality is a factor, itís nonsense to think that itís the only reason Scheer isnít slam dunking this. Heís up against a buffoon. At a certain point, the Conservatives have to have better policies. Someone who isnít suffering from chocolate milk withdrawals all the time would help, but you better believe people arenít voting CPC because of their policies as well.

Maybe itís Alberta-blindness, I dunno. Conservative policies are not universally acceptable to Canadians. Thatís not a controversial statement.
JC, who said that?

What I was getting at was changes at the margin. There are a lot of different reasons why people vote. But here we have a leader that simply has to go, but the liberal voters who know that aren't swinging to the CPC. The primary reason for that is Scheer.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #10355
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right, but thatís part of what Iím suggesting. Even when the Conservatives win itís not like theyíre voted in by every Canadian and the only reason Scheer isnít getting the same treatment is because he isnít ďnice enough.Ē

I took Enochís post to mean the only reason people would vote Trudeau over Scheer is personality. Considering the train wreck of Trudeau and basic history and demographics, Iíd say itís more likely because they donít like Conservative policies (those not voting CPC, of course).
You are smarter than that.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #10356
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

has anyone ever been part of an exit poll?

all my years of voting, I've never seen one conducted.

If you have, did you tell them who you voted for? or tell them it's none of their business.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #10357
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
has anyone ever been part of an exit poll?

all my years of voting, I've never seen one conducted.

If you have, did you tell them who you voted for? or tell them it's none of their business.
The person who is supposed to do them in Calgary just hangs at the bar all day and then reports in that 85% of voters were voting conservative.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #10358
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
If you guys screw up my yearly wine haul from the Okanagan I'll go full ogopogo on y'all.
You mean never be seen and when you are it ends up being a hoax?

Last edited by jayswin; 10-21-2019 at 03:10 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #10359
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I don't know how feasible this would actually be, but I would love if ballots for federal elections had a section at the bottom that you could check for No Confidence in the leader of your chosen party. If enough voters check that box, then a new leadership vote is automatically triggered after the general election regardless of whether that party won or not. Something like that would have made me a lot more comfortable voting for the Liberal candidate than it actually was
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #10360
Johnny Makarov
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does CBC or global have online streaming? My airbnb doesn't have cable.