Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for in the federal election?
Conservatives 196 54.29%
Liberals 74 20.50%
NDP 32 8.86%
Green 13 3.60%
PPC 3 0.83%
Bloc Quebecois 1 0.28%
Rhino 11 3.05%
Other 9 2.49%
Not voting 22 6.09%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #21
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldn't vote for parties who plan to destroy the economic engine of Canada, which is all of them except one. Bad economic times lead to higher suicide rates, domestic violence, sexual violence and crime. We also need the billions generated from our resources for top quality social programs and health care. And we need to curve our spending and ballooning debt as that only serves to keep certain people in the 1 percent rich. Canada needs to be a leader with climate change and only one party got it right with moving Canada to be an international leader in developing technologies or exporting cleaner energy to countries who can't get off coal. We need to stop importing Oil with horrible human rights records - which is all of them. Everybody wins with a better economic policy. I could care less if a politician's private feelings on something might hurt your feelings.

Last edited by MelBridgeman; 10-21-2019 at 12:26 PM.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #22
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Looking at the results, I'm eagerly awaiting stampsx2 to show up and remind us again how leftist CP is.
Well vocally in the threads it sure is. There’s obviously a lot of people who don’t contribute in there that are quietly conservative. But I’d say the vocal majority are left leaning for sure. Or at the least even.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:26 PM   #23
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Conservative is the red line and Liberal is the blue line.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #24
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Well vocally in the threads it sure is. There’s obviously a lot of people who don’t contribute in there that are quietly conservative. But I’d say the vocal majority are left leaning for sure. Or at the least even.
I don't even think that's true. I think you also kind of have to separate the true left posters (me and a select few others) from the centrist and right-leaning voters that don't like the current iteration of the CPC (Oling and a few others). The number of right-leaning posters (CC, Resolute, Transplant, DiracSpike, Mel, etc.) is probably larger overall but they maybe just don't post as much.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #25
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I contacted both the Liberal and CPC in my riding asking them the same questions over a month ago, neither replied. The best I got was a staffer from the CPC asking for my phone number.

At this point I don't think I will vote for either of them since they couldn't be bothered to engage me. Likely won't matter since my riding will vote CPC.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #26
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Conservative is the red line and Liberal is the blue line.
And the Green Party is pink. I just entered the poll options, I don’t believe there’s a choice to pick which color goes with each option.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Blue for only the second time in my life. Pipelines are too important and every other party is either too on the fence about pipelines or openly anti pipelines. It is tough to put it in statistics but big businesses having faith in governments to invest further into areas is huge. Having conservative leadership in Alberta as well as federally is a huge sign of good faith for reinvestment into our province from companies that left. Even if they can’t literally push the pipelines through.
This is a big issue for me as well. The current Government has devastated investor confidence and has to go for any hope of it being restored and all of the other parties are essentially idealistic lunatics with little to no concept of the cost of their dreams that they couch within their platforms as 'promises.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #28
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm a single issue voter this election, and that issue is pipelines.

For that reason I'm voting Liberal. We need either a Conservative or Liberal majority to most effectively get the pipeline through, and a conservative majority is a huge long shot. This makes me strategically vote Liberal, and if they can steal a couple seats here and there, they might be able to get to a majority, or at least a strong enough minority (say, 155+ seats) that they can quash the tomfoolery from the Green/NDP.

It won't matter anyways in Calgary but that's just my thought process.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #29
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My politics is typically left of centre. So more often than not, I've voted Liberal federally or Alberta Party/Liberal provincially. I can not, for the life of me, vote for Trudeau this time around. So it's been a bit of a struggle figuring out where to park my vote. I considered the NDP and Greens, but when I think of who I truly am rooting for this time around, I always go back to Scheer. It's unfortunate, because I really don't like the guy, but I'll hold my nose and vote for the CPC this election. What I am really hoping for is a short lived minority government, no matter who is the governing party and we can go to the polls again in a few months with new leaders.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #30
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some thoughts....

I’m voting Conservative in part because I desperately want Trudeau gone. He should be charged for his offences. My son-in-law wants a Liberal-NDP coalition, which I think is the worst possible outcome. If that happens I predict a serious uptake in separation talk and, eventually, a referendum, which I believe and hope fails.

I think we have a Liberal minority. If that happens I think Scheer will be ousted or resigns as leader. I think Kenney will go for it and will be the front runner. I know Rona Ambrose personally and if I see her (unlikely) I’ll encourage her to go for it (it’s unlikely she will).

Scheer has seriously mishandled this campaign. If Ambrose was the leader the Conservatives would have a majority government, I believe.

I’m so sad that Canadian politics has come to this and I’m discouraged for the future of our country.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #31
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Some thoughts....

I’m voting Conservative in part because I desperately want Trudeau gone. He should be charged for his offences.
which offences are that?
Old 10-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #32
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kodos.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #33
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Even just a quick glance at post counts in something like the Canadian politics thread says that’s not true. Vocally conservative posters make up the vast majority.

What an odd little narrative that has become.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #34
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted for the CPC. (I should have made sure some of you were sitting down before I typed that!)

Basically, I went through a process of elimination. First cuts were the greens and NDP because of their ridiculous position on shutting down fossil fuels. Bernier and the PPC were out because they're just too extreme for me. From there, I knew I didn't want to vote for a misogynist or racist...and couldn't eliminate either of them.

If I lived in a close riding, like Calgary Centre or Confederation, I would have voted Liberal because I do think having someone at the table in government matters. I definitely would have voted for Kent Hehr. Alas, my riding will be 70-80% for the CPC, so it's not like my vote would change that.

I just figure, if the CPC wins we get a pipeline. I've seen that they're prepared to ram it through for the past year or two, and obviously that's a great outcome. If they lose, "don't blame me, because I didn't vote for them!".

That's not all of my rationale, but good enough I think.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #35
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some thoughts....

I’m voting Conservative in part because I desperately want Trudeau gone. He should be charged for his offences. My son-in-law wants a Liberal-NDP coalition, which I think is the worst possible outcome. If that happens I predict a serious uptake in separation talk and, eventually, a referendum, which I believe and hope fails.

I think we have a Liberal minority. If that happens I think Scheer will be ousted or resigns as leader. I think Kenney will go for it and will be the front runner. I know Rona Ambrose personally and if I see her (unlikely) I’ll encourage her to go for it (it’s unlikely she will).

Scheer has seriously mishandled this campaign. If Ambrose was the leader the Conservatives would have a majority government, I believe.

I’m so sad that Canadian politics has come to this and I’m discouraged for the future of our country.
That is how I feel as well, and is the bottom line for me in this election.

The worst thing about it is that the timing (for such a debacle) couldn't be worse. We NEED leadership right now. We need to get Alberta up and running again and have a government that helps unite the country.

But what we are going to get from this collection of morons is divisiveness and more regionalism. And we are going to get a powerless government. Just when we need leadership, we are going to get a complete lack of it.

The country will be worse for it. Alberta will be worse for it. And unfortunately, politics is probably only going to get even worse in this country, as regional conflicts escalate.

I think it is an almost foregone conclusion at this point that Alberta heads for a referendum.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #36
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsifree View Post
What a hilarious little narrative that has become.
fyp
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #37
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Even just a quick glance at post counts in something like the Canadian politics thread says that’s not true. Vocally conservative posters make up the vast majority.

What an odd little narrative that has become.
I think there's a difference between truly conservative posters and people supporting conservatives in this election that needs to be accepted. The party that's supposed to be centrist with left leaning social policies in this country has turned into a totally corrupt, borderline leadership cult.

I had never voted conservative before this election, and Scheer is garbage, but this political situation is ridiculous.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #38
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
which offences are that?
Just pretend JT is Trump, that should clear things up for you
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #39
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Some thoughts....

I’m voting Conservative in part because I desperately want Trudeau gone.

I want Trudeau gone too but if Jason Kenney gets anywhere near the leadership of the federal party, you can bet the Liberals will govern us for a while. If people believe Scheer is an ultra right wing, religious homophobe then what possible good can giving the reigns to Kenney do? Would be catastrophic for the party.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:14 PM   #40
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Just pretend JT is Trump, that should clear things up for you
damn, I was hoping for email server or selling Russia some Uranium or at least a Benghazi