Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2024, 01:51 PM   #6901
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'm always going to believe that an Asai moonsault or a Shooting Star Press or Ospreay's twisty-720-flip'o'rama-lighting-harbringer-of-doom splash are infinitely more dangerous than a boring ol' regular plancha from the top rope.

IT'S REAL TO ME DAMNIT
Some stuff does look like it makes the move way more impactful though.

Like the speed and forward momentum generated by a 450 splash actually makes the move look way more devastating than just a splash.

Shooting Star press is funny because it looks cool, but really you're actually slowing your fall towards your competitor by doing a back flip
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 02:11 PM   #6902
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate how they've normalised finishers. Both sides are guilty of that. Like on Dynamite you have Okada giving everyone tombstones... only to win matches with his closeline. A finisher should mean something, it shouldn't become a transitional move. Basically we're at the point where a pile driver, power bomb, or Canadian destroyer is the same as a bodyslam or single leg takedown. Don't get me even started on kicks to the head... Could Shawn Michaels even be taken seriously in 2024 with that as his finisher?
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 02:30 PM   #6903
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

SuperMatt - Oh I agree, I'm just having fun here. What I do hate though, is the long setup for some to jump off the turnbuckle and the other person just waits to get landed on, or even worse, rolls into position. If you're going to roll into position, you can roll out of position!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 03:58 PM   #6904
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would be the worst booker.

Wrestler A - "So then, while he's on the mat, I climb up on the top rope and . . . "
Me - "I've seen you climb up on the top rope, it takes you like 5 minutes"
Wrestler A - "Anyways, then I wait for him because he has to stand up to take my 450 degree, super Pichachoo splash."
Me - "So he stands up and stares at you, and then your super 450 whatsamiggity takes like 5 seconds to hit".
Me - "Ok, then you wrestler B roll out of the ring"
WrestlerB - "You got it boss"
WrestlerA - "No he has to stand there and take my move"
Me - "So wrestlerB is in your booking mind an idiot".
WrestlerA - "But its my big move".
Me - "How about WrestlerB waits for you to jump off, do your super spinning thing and then kicks you in the face on the way down and pins you 1-2-3. That makes a lot of sense"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 04:35 PM   #6905
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Some people still do some of that stuff well but too many don't.

Gunthier's chops look menacing (and probably actually hurt like hell), and they get sold well generally too.

But then you have Eddie Kingston's "Machine Gun Chops" that honestly look about as vigorous as if you were trying to burp a baby.

And in the end this stuff existed in the 80's and 90's too, just in different ways.

In the end though the biggest problem is just the psychology of the sell throughout a match. You need to look sore, tired, and out of energy by the end of the match. By the end of the match any motion or movement should look laboured and things should take longer, unless it's one of those acts of desperation.
For some reason that is hilarious to me.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:07 PM   #6906
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I don't really seen a huge discernable change between both those machine gun chops. Did Kobashi do it better? Sure. But so has Kingston in other matches too (he's just less consistent). Here's a better YouTube link for a bigger sample:

Either way, this is a move set that gets a pop from the crowd.
His actual chops are generally good.

Something about his Machine Gun chops always look silly to me though, like he's not really fully connecting or making impact.

Kobashi's came off menacing. Eddie's come's off goofy.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 05:37 PM   #6907
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

To each their own.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote