Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #461
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Savona's on centre just south of 16 Ave is new and great.

It is located in a spot that has had many pizza tenants that have been notably terrible so if you live close by and know the spot in talking about, it is worth it to try this place out.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:11 PM   #462
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post

It is located in a spot that has had many pizza tenants that have been notably terrible so if you live close by and know the spot in talking about, it is worth it to try this place out.
“A Perfect Pizza” was anything but perfect. It challenged the idea that even bad pizza is still better than many other foods.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:03 AM   #463
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
I’m in full agreement. There’s a place in the NW that opened up last summer called Carmine’s. They make a great pie but the prices are astronomical. To feed a small get together it will likely run ~$100. Blasphemy.
Just had this tonight. 25 bucks for a 14"

Pizza was awesome. Don't mind paying for quality.

BP's on the other hand is outright crazy. I'm not even a fan of the place but my daughter loves it
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 01:05 AM   #464
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

They must’ve listened to feedback and dropped prices. It used to be over $30 for a 14” and $40 for an 18”. Good to know!
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:46 AM   #465
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t see the problem with charging for quality pizza. I’m more content to pay a lot for quality than a little for ####.

You can’t expect quality independent pizza joints using skilled people and top ingredients to be competitive on price with the chains.

The chains use poor quality ingredients bought in bulk with an established distribution system. The independents don’t.

If you want good quality pizza, you have to pay the premium.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #466
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I don’t see the problem with charging for quality pizza. I’m more content to pay a lot for quality than a little for ####.

You can’t expect quality independent pizza joints using skilled people and top ingredients to be competitive on price with the chains.

The chains use poor quality ingredients bought in bulk with an established distribution system. The independents don’t.

If you want good quality pizza, you have to pay the premium.
Sure, but he wasn't complaining that there was a premium over chain prices, he was saying they were astronomical if you're feeding a family or small gathering. And with the original pricing I tend to agree. $30 for a medium and $40 for a large is extremely high.

But yes, in general I'm happy to pay $20-$25 for a really good independent pizza, and I won't touch chain pizzas at the $15-$18 regular prices. I only grab those if it's a $7-$11 carry out special or whatever.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #467
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post

Don't know if I caught them on an off night, but this was a terrible waste of $15. Undercooked and very doughy. I'll give them another shot, but this was very underwhelming.

Roma in bridgeland is far better for those in the area.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #468
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus, look at that pizza. What is this, Priddis?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 08:53 AM   #469
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Jesus, look at that pizza. What is this, Priddis?
I don't get it...
Old 01-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #470
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Judging by the pics they post on their Facebook page (because why have a website anymore I guess), it wasn't a bad night, that's their pizza. It looks like someone making it at home with a Boboli and not enough toppings for the size.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #471
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The dry edges are a really bad look.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #472
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

What, you don't like a minimum of 2 inches of plain ass bread crust?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:03 AM   #473
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Tried a place called Luigi's 2-for-1 on 17th Ave SE and it was quite good, their donair pizza is spot on. Funny name though considering the owners are an Indian guy and his Asian wife
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #474
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
I’m in full agreement. There’s a place in the NW that opened up last summer called Carmine’s. They make a great pie but the prices are astronomical. To feed a small get together it will likely run ~$100. Blasphemy.
Carmine's is great pizza. I would put it up with anything in the city. They are a bit pricey, but their $30 dollar pizza's are 18" with upwards of like 5 toppings. These pizza can usually feed 3 people easily and when you break it down that's not much more than most places that aren't chains.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Insufficient Funds For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #475
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had pizza on Friday night from Edgemont Chicago Deep Dish and it was surprisingly pretty good. Decent crust, sauce and they weren't cheap with the toppings. Not gourmet but better than the fast food style pizza chains IMO.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #476
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Nikos Pizza and POW Pizza are my favourites right now.
Great crust and cheese, but I wish they weren't trying so hard with their topping combos.

Eg:
• Peaches, Prosciutto, Brick Cheese, Blue Cheese, Crema di Balsamico, Gorgonzola Mousse
• Potato + Cauliflower Curry, Fresh Red Onion, Brick Cheese, Yogurt + Cilantro Sauce
• Chili, Tortilla Chips, Red Onion, Cheddar and Brick Cheese, Guacamole Mousse

Last time I tried it, instead of getting the Pepperoni I ordered (with it's already fancy Wagyu pepperoni), they accidentally sent me some sort of Hawaiian hybrid that replaced the ham with braised pork. I tried giving it a shot, but after a while I had to scoop out the pork to make it edible.

At the very least I wish they had a few more basic options. A basic pep/mushroom or Hawaiian in a Detroit Style pizza would be awesome.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #477
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Great crust and cheese, but I wish they weren't trying so hard with their topping combos.

Eg:
• Peaches, Prosciutto, Brick Cheese, Blue Cheese, Crema di Balsamico, Gorgonzola Mousse
• Potato + Cauliflower Curry, Fresh Red Onion, Brick Cheese, Yogurt + Cilantro Sauce
• Chili, Tortilla Chips, Red Onion, Cheddar and Brick Cheese, Guacamole Mousse

Last time I tried it, instead of getting the Pepperoni I ordered (with it's already fancy Wagyu pepperoni), they accidentally sent me some sort of Hawaiian hybrid that replaced the ham with braised pork. I tried giving it a shot, but after a while I had to scoop out the pork to make it edible.

At the very least I wish they had a few more basic options. A basic pep/mushroom or Hawaiian in a Detroit Style pizza would be awesome.
Agreed. I stick with the Street Meat and it's great. The "wagyu pepperoni" is pretentious. Lets be honest, it's pepperoni, it's cured and salted to ####, wagyu is totally pointless. Their Crime Wave (your hawaiian hybrid) would be also be a perfect pizza if they stopped with the pork shoulder and just used regular simple pork. Salty meat, spicy jalepeno and sweet pineapple all together with their crust and cheese? Perfect. But that pork is so bland and big chunked it doesn't work. Everyone I've talked to about this has agreed with what you said. I don't mind that they have the cool combos, but yes, the ability to just pick some simple versions would go a long way.

But their execution is top notch and the crust is amazing. The core requirements of their product are phenomenal, so I love them.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 01:02 PM   #478
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I realize now I have really strong opinions on pizza haha
Old 01-27-2020, 01:57 PM   #479
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed, that pork shoulder just ruined what could've been an otherwise excellent pizza.

I'll have to try the Street Meat next time. Apart from the Pepperoni (and yeah, the Wagyu element is just dumb) it's the only one that sounds palatable to me.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:11 PM   #480
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Tried a place called Luigi's 2-for-1 on 17th Ave SE and it was quite good, their donair pizza is spot on. Funny name though considering the owners are an Indian guy and his Asian wife
Was ordering from this place every 2-3 weeks for 10+ years when I lived in Erin Woods and then Applewood. Found it a bit funny the one time a young girl about 10 knocked on the door with our 3 XL pizzas we ordered. Turned out it was their daughter I think. The dad stayed in the vehicle usually and that's how our pizzas came for the next 5-6 years. Never had a bad pizza from that place.

I live in the SW now and miss that pizza quite a lot. My only options where I am are Dominos (not terribly bad but obviously not great either), Pizza Hut (yuck) Boston Pizza (meh) and another spot that is just way too expensive (50 + bucks for two 14").
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlAcKNoVa For This Useful Post: