Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #461
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
It’s a pretty big stretch to suggest that all minimum wage earners work full time
Well the point is you can't have it both ways. You can't claim that the wages are increased by $3000 a year for employees and then on the other hand suggest that they don't all work 40 hours a week, therefore it's not costing the employers $3000.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #462
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well the point is you can't have it both ways. You can't claim that the wages are increased by $3000 a year for employees and then on the other hand suggest that they don't all work 40 hours a week, therefore it's not costing the employers $3000.
Who suggested both of those things?
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #463
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Who suggested both of those things?
Well you did, but seriously I'm not interested in debating the semantics of this.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
V
Old 10-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #464
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well you did, but seriously I'm not interested in debating the semantics of this.
I suggested that minimum wage earners who don’t work full time will be earning an additional $3k annually? I guess I’ll have to take your word for it Slava

My post that you quoted was merely commenting on the misleading manner in which the article Dion posted was claiming that many employers are now seeing nearly $3000 in additional costs per employee. But if you want to twist that into something else you’re more than welcome to try and do so.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #465
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4508487/a...tests-changes/

Alberta government taking back driver’s licence road testing from private industry
And of course Kenney is whining about it, despite us being the once province with such a dumb system to begin with.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #466
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

My problem with the minimum wage is who the hell is going to pay someone $15/hour to train them? They might be useless and you wasted #### loads of money. I hardly got paid my first week roofing, first job bookkeeping I wasn't even close to minimum wage haha.

I used to get a summer student to help me out each summer but at ~$18/hour cost to the employer that's gone.

God, I'm glad I'm not at the bottom of the rung anymore. A lack of young people being trained will actually help my job prospects as well.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #467
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
My problem with the minimum wage is who the hell is going to pay someone $15/hour to train them? They might be useless and you wasted #### loads of money. I hardly got paid my first week roofing, first job bookkeeping I wasn't even close to minimum wage haha.

I used to get a summer student to help me out each summer but at ~$18/hour cost to the employer that's gone.

God, I'm glad I'm not at the bottom of the rung anymore. A lack of young people being trained will actually help my job prospects as well.
Yes, your FYGM attitude is clearly visible.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #468
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

LOL...good stuff.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #469
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Yes, your FYGM attitude is clearly visible.
They are limiting how I got my foot in the door. If I could do it all over again, I would find a 60 year old tradesman and offer to work for free if he taught and vouched for me after a few months.

I don't know how else you are supposed to get your foot in the door. Hope to god they pick your inexperienced resume out of a pile? Hope your family or friends gift you a job?

#### that, I paid to go to school for 4 years and it gave me iffy job prospects. Why's it so terrible to work for cheap and get a marketable skill? My kids are going to be working under the table at this rate.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:48 PM   #470
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They are limiting how I got my foot in the door. If I could do it all over again, I would find a 60 year old tradesman and offer to work for free if he taught and vouched for me after a few months.

I don't know how else you are supposed to get your foot in the door. Hope to god they pick your inexperienced resume out of a pile? Hope your family or friends gift you a job?

#### that, I paid to go to school for 4 years and it gave me iffy job prospects. Why's it so terrible to work for cheap and get a marketable skill? My kids are going to be working under the table at this rate.
The industry will have to adjust. If the best they can do is hire people on for wages that mean people have to work 40 hours a week and eat Kraft Dinner in a 1 bedroom dive then how good a job is it really?
Old 10-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #471
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

But the specific issue we're pointing to, and a major problem with the coarse adjustment of the minimum wage increase is that teenagers aren't eating KD in a one bedroom dive. They're banking all their money and living at home. The most important thing to do for a young person is to get experience working, and with this rise we've seen employers come out and say they're less willing to hire young people. Then you start getting young people piling up on the unemployment line and unable to move up the rungs because they can't get started, all because a policy that was supposed to help them ended up doing the opposite by artificially increasing the cost of their unskilled labor. There's nothing wrong with working for $10/hour as a 17 year old living at home. Dont like making minimum wage? Good, you shouldn't, use that as a motivation to move up the ladder and show future employers who make more of an investment in you that you're worthy of that investment by your past job history.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2018, 04:59 PM   #472
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they're living at home because minimum wage hasn't keep up with inflation and buying power is in the toilet? All these negative incentives really accomplish one thing: widen the wealth gap.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #473
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm glad you brought up inflation and buying power because those are both negatively impacted by this minimum wage rise as well. Artificially raising the cost of labor across the Province will cause costs and thus prices to go up as well, especially in places where people don't need to be particularly skilled, like restaurants and grocery stores. The NDP have been pretty bad for inflation and buying power, instituting the carbon tax, higher business taxes, and minimum wage increases have caused essentials of life like electricity food and gasoline to all rise.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #474
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I'm glad you brought up inflation and buying power because those are both negatively impacted by this minimum wage rise as well. Artificially raising the cost of labor across the Province will cause costs and thus prices to go up as well, especially in places where people don't need to be particularly skilled, like restaurants and grocery stores. The NDP have been pretty bad for inflation and buying power, instituting the carbon tax, higher business taxes, and minimum wage increases have caused essentials of life like electricity food and gasoline to all rise.
Yes I'm fully aware of the talking points, but, how do you tackle the gap in wealth? Or maybe it doesn't matter?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #475
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

What? I thought we were talking about minimum wage and how it particularly effects young people.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #476
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I'm fully aware of the talking points, but, how do you tackle the gap in wealth? Or maybe it doesn't matter?
You train people to have marketable skills. That's how you get out of the minimum wage cycle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #477
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You train people to have marketable skills. That's how you get out of the minimum wage cycle.
Cool. How do you do that? Who pays it for? I'm all ears, legit. If your answer is "let the market pay people what they're worth" I'm going to need you to try harder.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:08 PM   #478
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Cool. How do you do that? Who pays it for? I'm all ears, legit. If your answer is "let the market pay people what they're worth" I'm going to need you to try harder.
You let the person pay for it with their labor.

Theres a #### ton of tradesman with broken bodies that would love to have a cheap young person to hold their tools.

In 6 months they'd no longer be unskilled and have a foundation to command more than minimum wage
Old 10-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #479
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
But the specific issue we're pointing to, and a major problem with the coarse adjustment of the minimum wage increase is that teenagers aren't eating KD in a one bedroom dive. They're banking all their money and living at home. The most important thing to do for a young person is to get experience working, and with this rise we've seen employers come out and say they're less willing to hire young people. Then you start getting young people piling up on the unemployment line and unable to move up the rungs because they can't get started, all because a policy that was supposed to help them ended up doing the opposite by artificially increasing the cost of their unskilled labor. There's nothing wrong with working for $10/hour as a 17 year old living at home. Dont like making minimum wage? Good, you shouldn't, use that as a motivation to move up the ladder and show future employers who make more of an investment in you that you're worthy of that investment by your past job history.
Let's be honest with ourselves.

The moment a 2 tiered minimum wage system is implemented, many employers would replace adult workers with lower paid students.

How does that help the working poor?

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #480
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You let the person pay for it with their labor.

Theres a #### ton of tradesman with broken bodies that would love to have a cheap young person to hold their tools.

In 6 months they'd no longer be unskilled and have a foundation to command more than minimum wage
Why do you suppose that will work now when it hasn't for decades?