Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #201
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Well that explains why it runs so good on my 460 GTX
Old 09-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #202
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Playing on my 24"

Maybe, or not necessarily colour blindness (because I've never seen a colour blindness test/image that I couldn't see) but maybe contrast issues?

I do have poorer night vision.
It's sad but a lot of gamers actually run the latest games with the lowest graphics settings possible to take out all the extra foliage and color and detail so they can just pick out the other players right away and not be distracted by the scenery and fancy effects.

BFBC2 had a color blind mode but that only affected the colors of the HUD/GUI.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #203
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
that's because it's not ultra. the beta is locked at medium graphics settings
Nope. That was alpha. The devs have said that all graphic options (short of I think 1 little thing. Field of view?) are currently on the beta.

The official release will probably be a little different and more polished, but how it runs now will be very similar to how to runs on Oct. 25.

Last edited by Ashasx; 09-28-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #204
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Playing it on the 360 right know the graphics are terrible. I really hope these aren't the final graphics for the game cause Bad Company 2 had better graphics..
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #205
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It's sad but a lot of gamers actually run the latest games with the lowest graphics settings possible to take out all the extra foliage and color and detail so they can just pick out the other players right away and not be distracted by the scenery and fancy effects.

I do this, only because I prefer the maximum frame rate and a lot of the good players do this.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #206
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I guess that's one advantage consoles have. Not that it's much.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #207
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
I guess that's one advantage consoles have. Not that it's much.
On console, the resolution is locked so low that it's not even 720p and it's a blurry mess with two small black bars on the top and bottom to further increase FPS. I'm guessing they couldn't hit a target average framerate and resorted to cutting the resolution down until they got it where they wanted and so the game runs at 704p.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #208
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Nope. That was alpha. The devs have said that all graphic options (short of I think 1 little thing. Field of view?) are currently on the beta.

The official release will probably be a little different and more polished, but how it runs now will be very similar to how to runs on Oct. 25.
have a link to where they say that? i've tried switching between medium, high, and ultra settings and there is no noticeable difference in how the game looks or performs
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #209
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dev Twitter accounts saying so.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #210
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone hear anything more on this

1) The BF3 community manager, zh1nt0, has tweeted that 'there could be a suprise for the PC beta testers today" in relation to Caspian borders being opened up

2) Caspian is included in the beta download, but is password protected

3) There are a few Caspian servers running and the password was leaked so many have tried it - apparently it is truly amazing and the real type of BF2 successor. Operation metro apparently feels more like C0D or M0H.

4) With the PW leak, Zh1nt0 explained that it was given to some clans and community members to test the map and they don't appreciate the leak and that they won't beable to do stuff like that for the community if it gets leaked.

My question is - do you think the 'special treat' for the PC community is the random internal testing invites for Caspian, or do you think we'll all get access to it?

I am hoping we all get access, as I have BC2 or COD if I want tight confines - I want BF3, jets and huge maps.
THE SCUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #211
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

We'll likely get Caspian Border, yes. I've heard today.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #212
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
On console, the resolution is locked so low that it's not even 720p and it's a blurry mess with two small black bars on the top and bottom to further increase FPS. I'm guessing they couldn't hit a target average framerate and resorted to cutting the resolution down until they got it where they wanted and so the game runs at 704p.
But everyone has the same graphical disadvantage. There's no toying with the settings to remove foliage. That's a pretty boring tactic if you ask me. I like the effects of games on high graphics, it adds to the enjoyment. It's too bad people are so competitive that they need to dumb down the look of the game in order to win.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #213
photon

Exp:

In BF3's case there will be foliage that can't be removed since it's destructible and sits where it lies.

I was sniping and some guy threw a grenade and the tree fell in front of me so I couldn't snipe anymore lol.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #214
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
But everyone has the same graphical disadvantage. There's no toying with the settings to remove foliage. That's a pretty boring tactic if you ask me. I like the effects of games on high graphics, it adds to the enjoyment. It's too bad people are so competitive that they need to dumb down the look of the game in order to win.
Well, you have the freedom to do what you want to do. Sometimes I like playing the game with all the pretties because I want to enjoy the experience and sometimes I just get frustrated and want to blow some steam by giving myself every possible advantage I can get to kill some people. This happens in every game where concentration and attention to detail is important because if you see something a split second before someone else sees that or sees you, you will win.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 09-28-2011 at 10:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #215
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
In BF3's case there will be foliage that can't be removed since it's destructible and sits where it lies.

I was sniping and some guy threw a grenade and the tree fell in front of me so I couldn't snipe anymore lol.
That's actually awesome. How is the destructible environment? I was kind of disappointed in Frostbite's destructible environments in BFBC2 where it just turned out that buildings just had 4 walls that fell apart in the same set manner every time.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #216
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do the trees have any weight? Everything in BFBC2, other than the vehicles, weighed almost nothing. Styrofoam trees.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #217
photon

Exp:

Hard to say, foliage seems to be pretty much completely destructible, and most of the rest of my time has been in that subway map underground so there's less down there to destroy .

But what is there does seem to be pretty good, one time near the end of the 2nd stage in the subway the place looked exactly like I would have expected; the walls were half not there, the floor piled up with debris, it looked like a war zone, it was great.

The third stage of that map is outdoors with some big buildings but it didn't last long and I kept getting spawn - sniped - respawn - instasniped so didn't notice anything else other than rage.

ETA: Not sure about weight, they do seem to fall a little more realistically than I remember from BC2, but I think weight is something pretty much every game gets wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #218
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, before the 2nd stage (above the escalators) everything is neat, tidy and undestroyed. After the phase, it's an absolute mess, rubble all over the place, broken glass, paper flying around.

It's beautiful.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #219
photon

Exp:

No password for caspian yet?

BOOO!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #220
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp: