Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #21
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
I've got a 2006 CR-V but I don't think Nokian WR's will fit my car, any other suggestions for all weather tires for a CR-V?
They make WR's in all sizes, from passenger cars to trucks, you should be able to find some for the CRV.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #22
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
If we lived in a snow belt where a lot of snow falls I could see your point. Most of the winters here are spent driving on dry pavement as the many chinooks melt away what snow has fallen.
Read #1. The fact you are driving on dry pavement doesn't negate the fact the temperatures are colder.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #23
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Read #1. The fact you are driving on dry pavement doesn't negate the fact the temperatures are colder.
Read my first statement. I've been driving for many years on all seasons and have had no accidents in the winter. I always take note of the driving conditions and drive accordingly.

The above being said people who don't adjust thier speed for the road conditions are a far greater hazard to other drivers on the road. I used to see it all the time on the Deerfoot - thankfully I live in a small town where driver aren't in a hurry to get somewhere fast.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #24
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Dion, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. You can steer your car with your feet if you want to, that doesn't make it a good idea.

Also, I would like to recommend the fine folks at OK Tire in Crowfoot for all your tire and automotive needs. These guys have always been great to me.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #25
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm going to get winter tires and rims for my new Eclipse. I shudder to think how much *THAT* will put me back.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #26
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Dion, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. You can steer your car with your feet if you want to, that doesn't make it a good idea.
I CAN because I drive for the road conditions and am aware of what my tires can or cannot do.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #27
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I CAN because I drive for the road conditions and am aware of what my tires can or cannot do.
So then why not get some winter tires, so you have more capability?
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #28
chid
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do they sell lightly Used tires?
chid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #29
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
So then why not get some winter tires, so you have more capability?
For starters, to replace the tires on my Ford Escape would be close to $900. Then there's the cost of rims. I personaly don't know too many people that have that extra cash lying around.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #30
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year was my first winter with winter tires. I put them on one of my cars, and left all seasons on the other.

Although I spent all of my prior driving years were done on all seasons year round, I'll be making sure that my other car gets them this year too.

While I respect the choice of others not to put winter tires on, I just found that they simply gripped better, and it made me more comfortable. I'm a confident driver and haven't had any accidents, winter or summer, on all seasons. I also agree that adjusting your driving based on the conditions is very important.

Although they're a bit of an investment up front, you really don't spend much more in the long run as you'll have to replace your summer tires half as often, which cancels it out a bit.

Not preaching - just sayin' that I was sceptical until I tried them out for a winter.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #31
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Whats a good all season tire ad a decent price? I need to replace all 4 before winter.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #32
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I run Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's. Love em. Will be on my second season with them. Had Nokian WR's before that.

And just a note, I think the new WR's are WR G2's or something like that.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #33
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dion's obviously not driven in Calgary during really poor weather conditions, what with our lack of snow removal, large patches of ice at intersections caused by cars sitting over snow and melting it, then freezing, heaved pavement, idiot drivers going 20 on Deerfoot, cars doing 360s going down Sarcee Trail, doofuses in SUVs that tailgate me and then I slam the brakes and watch them hit the guard rail, doofuses in BMWs that crash into the cement rail going down the 11 ave exit off Crowchild (note to people that buy rear-wheel drive cars: YOUR LOW PROFILE SUMMER TIRES DON'T WORK IN WINTER!), and the other countless displays of idiocy I see every winter here.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #34
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Ninja View Post
Speaking of KAL Tire, how do four $235 tires end up being almost $1300 installed when installation and balancing is supposed to be included in the price?
Yeah, I noticed that too. They charge extra for TPMS even though no else does, and they have a slew of questionable surcharges. I'm never going back.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #35
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

In a lot of ways getting winter tires is like getting HDTV. People will comment about how they enjoy watching TV, and have for the last 20 or 30 years; so why change now.

But then once you see a Flames game on a great HDTV setup- you wonder how you can ever go back. Winter tires give you better traction the way HDTV gives you better picture.

That being said, there does seem to be a few drawbacks like storage and cost. If you plan on keeping your car for 5+ years you are really only out the cost of rims; as you will save your summer tires for longer. But I know we have a lot of condo dwellers here on CP- how can anybody tell another person that they should use up most of their limited storage for the sake of always storing an extra set of tires?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #36
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of mechanics will store tires for you - for free. Call around.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #37
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

OK Shazam, I'm going to ask you tell tell us of at least one.

I could see a shop offering free storage in the sense that if you buy winter tires in August them storing them until you get them installed, but for them to always be storing a set for you for the next 5 years (or whatever)- it just seems a little more than what I would expect them to do.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #38
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Autorite in Crowfoot. I have a set sitting there for years for a Mazda 323 I sold ages ago.

EDIT: Harper's Tires also stores them for free, but I don't know if that's only for people who bought tires there. The only thing I got done at Autorite is dismount/mount from rims.

Last edited by Shazam; 10-04-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #39
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just bought a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R winter tires, I can't wait to use them! Last year I had a set of worn all-season tires on steelies, I got stuck in 1 cm of snow. I vowed that this year, I will buy winter tires.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #40
twotoner
Backup Goalie

Exp:

These will be my tires for the winter commute:

Studs are the only way to go...
twotoner is offline   Reply With Quote