Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #101
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Dang, Doug Demuro is not kind to the current 370z.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #102
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Some quotes:

"it's not fast enough to justify its price tag"

"it just does not feel tremendously competitive anymore"

"rivals have been updated once or twice since this came out"

"rivals that are way newer with way more tech with way more power that cost less money" (he's talking specifically about the Mustang here, which is a direct competitor despite comments to the contrary in this thread)

"this model just isn't cutting it anymore"

"5/10 for acceleration"

"fun factor is okay"

"nobody is thrilled by it anymore"

"this thing is ancient and so is its technology"

"value: this just isn't a great one"

He rates it below Supra, Mustang, Civic Type R, STI, Veloster N, and even a 2004 S2000.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #103
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

370Z is the poster child on how to take a traditionally lean sports car and bloat it up in every possible way.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:07 PM   #104
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a 10 year old car that was already kind of dated at arrival seeing it was more of an evolution of the 350Z than a complete new car. Getting into the interior is like entering a time machine. I'm surprised they are still selling them to be honest as they only sold 3400 in the US last year and it's not like it's a high margin car but I suppose they have to have at least one sporty vehicle on the showroom floor.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #105
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
370Z is the poster child on how to take a traditionally lean sports car and bloat it up in every possible way.
I have a coworker who just bought a brand new 370Z. Who in their right mind would do that at this point.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #106
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I have a coworker who just bought a brand new 370Z. Who in their right mind would do that at this point.
Wow, that's shocking. Every competitor is better in every single way and typically less expensive. That makes no sense.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:14 PM   #107
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Wow, that's shocking. Every competitor is better in every single way and typically less expensive. That makes no sense.
Not sure what other competitors you had in mind and not sure how you deem them better in every single way.

A base 370Z which is fairly well equipped is low 30's. I would easily take the antiquated 370Z and it's VQ over a BRZ/FR-S or entry level Mustang at that price point.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:16 PM   #108
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Many people. You can get a new 370Z for a nudge over $30K, still fair value for a proper sports car.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:05 AM   #109
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do like the 370z, but it's outdated and I think you can do much better for the money now.

Still like it as a used purchase but a new one doesn't make much sense
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:41 AM   #110
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
Not sure what other competitors you had in mind and not sure how you deem them better in every single way.

A base 370Z which is fairly well equipped is low 30's. I would easily take the antiquated 370Z and it's VQ over a BRZ/FR-S or entry level Mustang at that price point.
The correct answer is none of the above. Base Mustangs are a waste of time, BRZ/FRS while a better overall car than the 370Z is under-powered and also outdated, and the 370Z wasn't a great car in 2009 and it's downright awful today. Much better cars available in the low 30's as even a Veloster N is better than all those cars.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #111
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I owned a 2010 370z. It's absolutely outdated now - it's a ten year old car. That's especially true of the interior. At the time it came out, though, it was an excellent car for the money. Even now, it's in its own spot in terms of driving dynamics - sort of halfway between a GT86 and a Mustang. It's just... old.

Even DeMuro's video (and he clearly doesn't know anything about Z cars or their history) acknowledges that it actually has a pretty good driving experience. It just feels cheap now to sit in after never having been updated in a decade. The 5/10 for acceleration is on a scale where a sub 2.5 0-60 gets you a 10 - the thing still makes that in 4.5 seconds, which is damned quick for a non-turbo. If you want to mod it you can get it up in the 500s pretty easily, comes with a stick shift, and as non-dual clutches go the auto trans is really surprisingly good.

The problem isn't that it's a bad car. The problem is that they needed a new model three or four years ago and for some reason are still producing it. I totally agree that no one should be buying a new one, especially not for over 40k. But looked at as an entry in the lineage of Z cars it's the best one since the S30.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:27 PM   #112
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

All its other shortcomings aside, I do love how the 370z drives
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #113
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually like the Nismo seats in that video.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:22 PM   #114
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Many people. You can get a new 370Z for a nudge over $30K, still fair value for a proper sports car.
Yeah... he definitely paid way more than that. Way more.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #115
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

lol I'd like to see proof people are getting these for 30k.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:30 PM   #116
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd drive dis, because I'm the type to care more about styling than the fact that this is overall not a very good car compared to others in its class.

But a 370Z looks awful, IMO.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:46 PM   #117
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
lol I'd like to see proof people are getting these for 30k.
The base model MSRP is $30,498 via Nissan.ca. Do you still need more validation? It's quite comical that you started a thread (when there is already an automotive thread) specifically to diss Nissan/Infiniti. Sounds like you got burned by the brand and this thread is somehow your self gratifying redemption...
Old 05-29-2019, 10:50 PM   #118
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The correct answer is none of the above. Base Mustangs are a waste of time, BRZ/FRS while a better overall car than the 370Z is under-powered and also outdated, and the 370Z wasn't a great car in 2009 and it's downright awful today. Much better cars available in the low 30's as even a Veloster N is better than all those cars.
Veloster N - Yeah okay...
Old 05-30-2019, 03:06 AM   #119
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The opinion that they're in decline and produce no desirable vehicles is widely held anywhere on the internet where automobiles are discussed. It's not a revolutionary opinion nor one that requires a person to have been previously burned by the brand. I hold the same opinion, and have never owned one.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:43 AM   #120
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Veloster N - Yeah okay...
Compared to a 10 year old car absolutely. It's fully current tech that offers full customization of suspension damping, steering, throttle mapping and with the LSD it's performance comparable (it's not as good but it's also less money) to the Civic Type R. I've never owned a Hyundai so no bias as it's a surprisingly good car from them and would be a much better buy for the money.

Tags
nissan