Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #361
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
No doubt! Is more so just amusing because the Japanese elected to dictate a procedure to prevent it from happening (and the DC-3 scenario is when it was last believed to have happened in that area).
So one could argue the the new procedure works.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #362
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The WestJet thing is huge and will have some pretty significant ripple effects on employees. In particular the pilot group who currently receive a significant amount of their compensation via share purchase and ESOP plans. If that goes then they will be looking for a pretty big raise (some of them already are which is partly why they unionized). This could get ugly.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:06 AM   #363
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

While it is nice to see a Western Canadian success story, I don’t see how this will be a net benefit for the average Canadian flyer or airline employee

Onex would not be paying a premium on Westjet if they didn’t think they could
-Minimize labour costs
-Reduce competition in the Canadian airline industry through consolidation (my money is on a Sunwing takeover)
-Increase passenger fares
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #364
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...pany-1.5133465

Some of the comments.
“When a company pay almost twice what the company worth, it means, the company has a plan on how to get back its money. That is, cutting workers wage & benefit and increasing fare. No company plans to operate without profit, specially, after spending this much. The result is we will end up with another inefficient carrier.”
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:27 AM   #365
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two float planes carrying cruise ship passengers collided mid-air in Ketchikan, Alaska yesterday. 5 confirmed dead with two still missing. Aircraft were a deHavilland Beaver and Otter.

Edit: At least one of the victims confirmed to be a Canadian.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-inv...aska-1.5134937

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Au...509872001.html

Last edited by Bigtime; 05-14-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #366
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada enters into an agreement with Transat A.T. to pursue combining the two companies:

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019...-two-Companies

Quote:
MONTREAL, May 16, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada announced today that it has entered into an exclusive agreement with Transat A.T. Inc. (Transat) regarding the proposed purchase by Air Canada of all issued and outstanding shares of Transat and its combination with Air Canada. The proposed transaction, valued at approximately $520 million or $13.00 per share of Transat (on a fully-diluted basis), will create a Montreal-based global travel services company in leisure, tourism and travel distribution operating across Canada and internationally. Air Canada has all the necessary funding required to complete the transaction which is accordingly not subject to financing conditions.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 AM   #367
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, I'm not sure they should allow that to happen. How does losing an option benefit the customer in any way? This kinda reeks of an easy way to eliminate some competition, there can't be much benefit to AC in the traditional sense when you combine companies.

Boo.

Also, Air Canada sucks.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #368
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps beating Onex/WestJet to the punch? If WestJet purchased Air Transat it would immediately increase their presence in Quebec/Ontario, where they are still very weak.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #369
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't imagine AC whipped up an offer in 3 days though, and they surly wouldn't have known about WJ. Unless they had this all ready to go and were just waiting for...something? I dunno, I think this is a coincidence.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #370
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumours of Transat being available for a purchase have been going around for a bit, maybe three days was enough to enter into this agreement to pursue? I don't read it as final based on the press release.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #371
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Transat purchase would pretty much be folded into AC Vacations (I would think) and Rouge and the old AT would operationally be combined. Looking forward to how that would work with the pilot and flight attendant unions. Should be plenty of fireworks on that alone.

Assuming this does go through it significantly changes the scope of Air Canada's leisure/low cost business. You would have to think that WestJet would respond with Swoop in some form. Which isn't necessarily good news for the traveler in terms of service if more an more routes get switched over to the low cost side of both airlines.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #372
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great news for the many Calgarians and others that go to Maui.... a new $340M rail connected consolidated rental car terminal replaces the shuttle bus system today.

A little nicer than our YYC Link golf carts.....

https://hidot.hawaii.gov/blog/2019/0...and-on-budget/
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #373
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Great news for the many Calgarians and others that go to Maui.... a new $340M rail connected consolidated rental car terminal replaces the shuttle bus system today.
$340 million is not a small amount of money. Remote rental car facilities seem to be a growing trend in the U.S. Not sure if any Canadian airports have followed suit yet?
Old 05-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #374
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maui should have taken that one step further and run LRT lines from OGG to Lahaina and Kihei/Wailea. Probably a fools errand but something I would love to see. Small rental car facilities in those locations to rent cars for days trips and such.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #375
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only downside with the new facility is that I heard the plan is to tear down all the old buildings and make a new runway that can handle international flights...Maui doesn't need more tourists.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #376
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

An F-16 crashed into a warehouse in California. A guy working in the warehouse took video of the aftermath. Luckily nobody was hurt.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/16-c...ry?id=63090887
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:38 PM   #377
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Maui should have taken that one step further and run LRT lines from OGG to Lahaina and Kihei/Wailea. Probably a fools errand but something I would love to see. Small rental car facilities in those locations to rent cars for days trips and such.
Car2Go, especially the Smart Cars, would be awesome to have out there for tourists.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #378
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
An F-16 crashed into a warehouse in California. A guy working in the warehouse took video of the aftermath. Luckily nobody was hurt.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/16-c...ry?id=63090887
Amazing that warehouse didn't burn to the ground. Everytime I see one of these crash the fireball is pretty intense. Must have almost floated in there.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #379
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Super interesting story of a Pan Am flying boat taking the long way home from Auckland after the bombing of Pearl Harbour.

https://medium.com/s/story/the-long-...d-c04ca734c6bb
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #380
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Super interesting story of a Pan Am flying boat taking the long way home from Auckland after the bombing of Pearl Harbour.

https://medium.com/s/story/the-long-...d-c04ca734c6bb
That was a great read!
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote