Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #81
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just an observation, huh? Of a headline relating to human rights abuses in a muslim-majority country? Which you just happened to post in a thread about the mass-murder of muslims that has nothing whatsoever to do with Iran?

Yeah, totally. "Just an observation".

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #82
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not going down this road at all with you. What happened in NZ is disgusting.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #83
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Why did he mention pewdiepie? What's the relevance there?
It's basically about the Pewdiepie vs T-Series "war" for having the most Youtube subscribers in the world.

T-series is an Indian company that is PDP's top rival in that area. To many people like this shooter it represents coloured people and being a corporation is viewed as "evil" and "brown"

So when the shooter says "subscribe to pewdiepie" it's just another racist comment - less to do with pdp and more to do with "not T-series".

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #84
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wtf is piewdipie and t-series?
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #85
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Just an observation of the headlines today on the National Post's website.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #86
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Most muslims I know and have met have been truly genuine, nice, awesome people. Had a muslim family live down the hall from me a couple years ago, and they were very nice, always welcoming, and had two little kids that were super well-behaved and cute. Would always say hi to them, and they'd go out of their way to say hi to me too. Plus they really cared about keeping the building clean, tidy, and respectable. Couldn't ask for better neighbors.

Breaks my heart to know people like this were savagely attacked in New Zealand, and around the world in past incidents too, with families and lives destroyed. When are we going to get past the fear, racism, and hate.

Humans are humans - love them all equally or GTFO this planet.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #87
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Most muslims I know and have met have been truly genuine, nice, awesome people. Had a muslim family live down the hall from me a couple years ago, and they were very nice, always welcoming, and had two little kids that were super well-behaved and cute. Would always say hi to them, and they'd go out of their way to say hi to me too. Plus they really cared about keeping the building clean, tidy, and respectable. Couldn't ask for better neighbors.

Breaks my heart to know people like this were savagely attacked in New Zealand, and around the world in past incidents too, with families and lives destroyed. When are we going to get past the fear, racism, and hate.

Humans are humans - love them all equally or GTFO this planet.
It’s sad you even have to make posts like this. Not sad for you, but sad for the millions of completely innocent people who have been violently targeted for their religion, but casual bigoted remarks online to acts of terrorism.

I sincerely hope this opens the eyes a little wider of the who help to normalise this type of hate. Words are not innocent, and I hope the posters who have shared anti-Muslim sentiments here in the past see how these things evolve.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #88
Flames.Central
Draft Pick

I work with many Muslim people from various parts of the world and also play sports with plenty. They are nothing short of welcoming and well behaved. Every apple has a bad seed and we all understand this. Like someone else said, this world would be a different place without the evolution of social media of any kind. All these videos circulating on group chats, I have personally told my friends to stop sharing as it does nothing but probably encourage such actions. They are disturbing for those who watch them. This world has gone into a state that I wonder if we can recover from it. God bless all and I feel for those who suffered not only in this attack but any kind of attacks against innocents worldwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s sad you even have to make posts like this. Not sad for you, but sad for the millions of completely innocent people who have been violently targeted for their religion, but casual bigoted remarks online to acts of terrorism.

I sincerely hope this opens the eyes a little wider of the who help to normalise this type of hate. Words are not innocent, and I hope the posters who have shared anti-Muslim sentiments here in the past see how these things evolve.
Flames.Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #89
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I don't understand anything anymore.

Like what the #### is pewdiepie and who are the people that actually give a #### about defending/hating these youtubers? Who watches pewdiepie or any youtuber for that matter? WHY IS THIS PERSON EVEN SIGNIFICANT? How can everything be a meme and everything be ironic in a manifesto that describes his reasons to kill 49 innocent people. I just don't get it. It's like I need a masters in internet losery along with an 800 page briefing on meaningless internet meme jargon to even come close to comprehending an 80 page manifesto by some obvious loser.

I HATE that i have to now know who pewdiepie is, what an incel is, what 4chan or 8chan is, who pepe the frog is, and all this other insanely pathetic, juvenile, garbage that get spewed out on a daily basis to try and "understand' the motivations of these scum mass murderers. And to hear that this guy is doing it all in the name of trolling??? Like what is that??

What an awful day.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 03-15-2019 at 03:35 PM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #90
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The idea a white Australian is complaining about invading colonizers is bizarre, no sense of irony there
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #91
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The idea a white Australian is complaining about invading colonizers is bizarre, no sense of irony there
Agreed.

irony requires at least some degree of intelligence and critical thinking so its not a surprise that ppl who hold this view are oblivious to it.

its truly a sad thing to think that the invention of the internet 30 years ago, which once held the promise of making the world a better place, has instead fractured to the point of encouraging people to espouse their most vile views and have them magnified in the echo chamber of these fanatical enclaves...

not only a criticism of the alt-right, but any kind of fanaticism or criminal behavior...

social media platform have really accelerated this imo
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #92
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
It's absolutely unwarranted.

The people who call Pewdiepie "Alt-right" are the same people that called Totalbiscuit altright because he had an opinion on gamergate that didn't just jump to "they're all bad".

He made some pretty borderline jokes and wasn't apologetic enough for people like Psycnet, so they tried to jump on him, which made Pewds double down on trolling them, because he's a comedian and it's funny. While that reddit post may be a lot of supposition, it's not wrong in the assumption that Pewds would want nothing to do with his name being attached this atrocity, not just because it negatively affects his brand but because it's an absolutely awful thing. For the record, I don't find pewdiepie funny, nor do I watch his channel. But I have followed the smear job on him because I was a big Totalbiscuit fan, and it was the same people going after TB that turned on Pewdiepie. Those same people who a year after his death, still go after TB if he's brought up.

"The subscribe to pewdiepie" thing is a ####ing meme. That psycnet is trying to play it as some sort of actual appeal to people to sub to him his asinine. It certainly makes me lose any respect for any other type of argument that he makes.
I just wanted to hop back in to say that naw, research his follows and retweets my dude.

Also TB was (rightfully) made light of because he very publicly told someone to "get cancer and die" and then he (TB) got cancer and died. He wasn't even remotely close to PewDiePie's level of ####ty however, just a bit of a wank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #93
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I just wanted to hop back in to say that naw, research his follows and retweets my dude.

Also TB was (rightfully) made light of because he very publicly told someone to "get cancer and die" and then he (TB) got cancer and died. He wasn't even remotely close to PewDiePie's level of ####ty however, just a bit of a wank.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #94
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys look at some weird #### on the internet.

Sad Sad situation today.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:20 PM   #95
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Can you just go back to researching ####ty internet subcultures and stop dragging your ass all over this thread?

No one cares.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #96
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Ashasx; 03-15-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #97
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Uhhh yeah this guy is depraved. Should be thrown out of parliament for this insanity.

And predictably the 50+ year-old, white conservatives on my FB shared this in earnest. I had to unfollow them. I know Cliff likes to bitch about progressive intolerance and siloing but I'd honestly like to hear what the value is in sticking around for opinions like this?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #98
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also feel bad for the family of that little girl in Sweden who was killed by an Islamist terrorist and whose name was written on one of the rifles used in the attack. Now their name is associated with this terrorist act and their grief takes on another level.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #99
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

I have looked into it. You're off your rocker here.

TB was not made light of because of the cancer statement. The cancer statement was 5 or 6 years old by the time people started coming after him. The cancer statement was something he had apologized for and both he and Antonio Hayley considered a non-issue by the time it was brought up again. The cancer statement, is also taken out of context, though even in context it's not in great taste, but TB was known for being very direct when attacking people doing or saying things that he felt infringed on human rights (in this case, health care).

TB got targeted because Gamergate happened and he had the sheer audacity to say "Well, they are going about it wrong, but they have a point about games journalism being corrupt," and then the same people that are going after Pewdiepie now, (such as Nathan Grayson as a prominent example) went at him accusing him of being an alt-right figure head, just as they're doing now with Pewdiepie. The trawled his content, his social media, his personal relationships for anything and everything they could hold against him, such as liking a video made by the wrong person, or retweeting a tweet from someone they considered unsavory and tried to bury him with that.

It's horse ####, it's a witch hunt, and it's a waste of time because all you're doing is making his fans feel the need to defend him while the people you are actually upset with, the actual alt-right trolls and racists, laugh at the fact you're targeting the idol of a 15 year old over liking a ####ing tweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I know Cliff likes to bitch about progressive intolerance and siloing but I'd honestly like to hear what the value is in sticking around for opinions like this?

I'm normally a big proponent of now judging people off all the opinions they hold, like Cliff, but I don't feel like you were in the wrong here.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 03-15-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #100
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't believe this has been posted here (and if it has, it deserves a repeat).

Very powerful and poignant reflection by a Australian TV anchor.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 03-15-2019 at 05:52 PM.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post: