Old 12-07-2018, 02:08 AM   #281
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Here's the hit on Backlund:

Link
Dirty play by Dumba, he seems to leave his feet. But man i feel like there is so little hitting in the NHL today guys think they can skate around with their head down. It seems like players are surprised now when someone else finished their check.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gunnner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 02:20 AM   #282
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I don’t find anything more infuriating than when the refs decide to “control” the game. Minnesota’s down by 2 with an empty net but heaven forbid they call an obvious infraction against Minnesota because that would ruin the chance to keep the game close. Just call infractions you idiots, disregard the score.
100% agree... this has always been my biggest pet peeve about the NHL
(Bonus Point comes real close)

It annoys me to no end the argument “we don’t want to decide the game”, while doing the only possible thing they can do to do just that, which is decide when to apply the rules and when to ignore them.

If a player trips another player, it’s the PLAYERS deciding the game... a refusal to call the penalty is the referee now deciding the game... awful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PlayfulGenius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 03:14 AM   #283
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
Dirty play by Dumba, he seems to leave his feet. But man i feel like there is so little hitting in the NHL today guys think they can skate around with their head down. It seems like players are surprised now when someone else finished their check.
It's hard to tell, but did he leave his feet before contact was made?
Old 12-07-2018, 03:31 AM   #284
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Kinda looks like he left his feet as the momentum carried through the hit. Was still on his feet prior to making contact
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:33 AM   #285
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Your right. i slowed it right down and he was still on the ground at point of contact.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:36 AM   #286
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Indeed gunner. It's good food for thought and will only bear more fruit as we venture into this style of nhl. I didnt watch the game was playing ball hockey but I came here to get the scoop and kudos to you squad for giving me all the insight I needed on this one.

Story of the night seems to be that smith and BP are showing why time and patience are necessary for the acumen needed to play goal at this level. Backs gets greased by the local bully yet is still all heart. Johnny is Jonny hockey after all. Minny is a team that has historically been quite dirty vs the good ol flames. And ref smack again. Dead horse level over here.

Well deserved for smitty but I noticed since he changed his mask he's been more focused maybe it's a superstition thing. His play is looking more sound behind this evolving defensive stature the team is exhibiting. This is a bit scripted almost for what the mindset this team is going to need to culture if they have cup aspirations, imo. This team may be more than a 10 playoff win team. They have a legit compliment in goal to arguably the best 12 through 6 depth in the league I state again. I'm not going to give smitty too much until I see him stay healthy. This will be the best chance most of these vets may ever get outside of neal. This is shaping up for a good if not great and perhaps amazing season.

Backs as a vet included and why I believe for what he brings it's nearly elite. This hit tonight seems dichotomous. I will reserve judgement. I see what matty and gunner and a few others have said about the game becoming soft. It still is exciting and dangerous but with different nuance. Where you hurt teams now is on the scoreboard. Have the depth to sustain. Tre gets a lot of credit again. I am really liking the deal he signed backs to as well. Backs is a heart and soul home grown player. I still recall meeting him one afternoon on the patio at the ship. Summer day and he was here taking it all in. He loves it here. I'm so proud to see who he has become over the years. He is a legitimate selke level center ice man. He took a hit to make a play. If that isnt discussed for his sacrifice by this locker room I think it would be a missed leadership opportunity. That was all heart and commitment by him. Get well soon. But if hes out I'm okay with next man up. Wont be the same but we have options.

Bill Peter's is a gem for his two responses and his interplay with the league and the officials through the media this year and tonight. I had no idea he would have been so shrewd and coy with his tongue. Who ever remarks about him pushing the right buttons you are correct indeed. Lomberg was a great response. I do love how he relished it there mounting dumba's turtle soup. Lomberg is a funny button to push being so small of an enforcer but looks to be an nhl button. But bill is pushing the right buttons as he looks like the kid running fools at the street fighter alpha or soul caliber 2 stand up down at pinbar. He is a very skilled coach and kudos for the comments made about the activating dmen and covering so naturally post because it's TRUE. This team is buying in and we are 18 and 9 and 2. Thanks for zebulon by playing dougie the way u did again gg. And I'm sure Noah will have a very high arc indeed. I intended that one. Judge me if u will. Jks.

And yeah Johnny is Jonny hockey. Hes as close as u can be to a superstar. He stays healthy and relevant during big game hockey and we'll start talking real bonafide level. But it sure is nice having a guy like that in a deal like we have him for. 4 more years hey? This is our window. I'm titillated.

Gio probably didnt want to hurt koivu but it looks greasy. Yet historically eff the wild and all their borderline play. Speaking of greasy how about those refs again? Geez the control they exert towards a scripted obvious bias for their overt ideology of parity is getting people injured. When will the flames and other players be protected thoroughly? That trip on the breakaway is an obvious affront to their own standards. Even though I don't think it's an egregious hit. Big hit of a guy with his head down. Imagine eric lindros in this nhl. Austin Mathews who? He's the reason it's good that tyrannosaurs and mozasaurs don't still exist... he would be healthy and dominating for years. An era.

All in all, it sounds like this team keeps rolling. What do we say if this continues and zebulon finishes with 40 and and hanifin outpaces dougie? This is a dynasty on the rise. I have never seen offense like this team in many many years. The defence regarding some comments here looked airtight. No breakaways no oddman rushes? Minny is a good team and have playoff aspirations despite us beating stalock. I'd rather have bsd as a back up 1b maybe more type goalie to play when smitty isnt going well. Night all thanks again for the wicked insights. GFG

Last edited by Ziggy Lidstrom; 12-07-2018 at 03:47 AM.
Ziggy Lidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ziggy Lidstrom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 03:47 AM   #287
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Delete duplicate pls

Last edited by Ziggy Lidstrom; 12-07-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Ziggy Lidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #288
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great to wake up and see this score. Way to go, Flames!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #289
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I tend to agree.

Backlund was a little low on that hit and Dumb was past the point of no return IMO. Dumba did leave his feet, but I can't tell if it was before or after the hit. It's not like he leaped into Backlund.

Obviously none of us liked how the hit turned out, but at the speed of the game, I don't think Dumba could have reacted much differently. Certainly no intent on his part other than to deliver a solid hit. Backlund's body position had a lot to do with the outcome.
I don't believe it was a dirty hit.

However he most definitely made contact with the head.

He also left his feet.. (i.e after the hit).

I bet this hit is reviewed by the league.

Its not a good hit, any time contact is made with the head.

I would also bet Backlund has a concussion
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #290
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I don’t find anything more infuriating than when the refs decide to “control” the game. Minnesota’s down by 2 with an empty net but heaven forbid they call an obvious infraction against Minnesota because that would ruin the chance to keep the game close. Just call infractions you idiots, disregard the score.
I can't find the link, but I clearly remember TSN's C'mon Ref articles by Kerry Fraser where he admitted that refs not only control games, but hold grudges and have 'lists' of players they look out for. He said they (don't) call penalties are various times depending on the in-game situation. I remember being furious reading that. It was an admission what we as fans have suspected all along; refs try to control the game based on the score and who's on the ice.

As long as old NHL executives like Colin Campbell are in positions of power and can be replaced by younger forward thinking minds, this is the type of officiating we can expect.

Fines be damned. I'd like to see more players, coaches and GMs from around the league calling out the reffing publicly to the point that the league can no longer ignore it. It's not that the refs are bad at their job. They are the best refs in the world. But they are clearly following a mandate being passed onto them by higher up powers.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #291
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

On the Dumba hit: Backlund put himself into an awful position, and I don't think Dumba leaves his feet except as a result of contact. But the problem I have with that hit is that he came from downtown Lethbridge to deliver it.

Officiating was atrocious. Not just in ignoring multiple Minnesota penalties late in the game for game management reasons, but just bad calls throughout. Minnesota was rewarded for a couple of dives, but also, I don't know that anybody actually saw whatever elbow the Wild got called on either.

Someone want to explain to me where Rasmus Andersson played another 300 NHL games while we weren't looking? He's got the poise of a veteran out there, not a rookie.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #292
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only bad thing is if Dumba is suspended he misses the game against the Oilers.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #293
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
The only bad thing is if Dumba is suspended he misses the game against the Oilers.
Doubt a decision comes that quick today.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #294
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's probably a higher chance Gio has a hearing for his knee on Koivu than Dumba for his hit. Warrener even said it was a dirty play this morning. Since he played in the NHL he probably has a bit of authority on this (just to satisfy Resolute).

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-07-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #295
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

After sleeping on it, although this was an open ice hit, it is very similar to the one Bennett threw on the Colorado player early in the season. Hard hit and if the jerseys were flipped I'd be giving the player a pat on the back. Got the two points and need to move on. One thing for certain, there almost seems to have that 'played a series in the playoff' hatred between the teams and they have never met in the playoffs.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #296
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ummm… Dumba jumped into the hit which was why his feet were in the air. His skates are on the ice as the hit starts because he is pushing down to jump into the hit. Come on folks use some common sense. The only way his feet get airborne is if he jumps into the hit unless he somehow learned how to fly... Dirty Dirty Dirty
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #297
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There's probably a higher chance Gio has a hearing for his knee on Koivu than Dumba for his hit. Warrener even said it was a dirty play this morning. Since he played in the NHL he probably has a bit of authority on this (just to satisfy Resolute).

I can see a 2 game suspension by the NHL to give the Oilyaz a leg up.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #298
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any video of the Gio hit on Koivu?
Old 12-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #299
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Ummm… Dumba jumped into the hit which was why his feet were in the air. His skates are on the ice as the hit starts because he is pushing down to jump into the hit. Come on folks use some common sense. The only way his feet get airborne is if he jumps into the hit unless he somehow learned how to fly... Dirty Dirty Dirty
You're allowed to drive upwards into a hit, in fact its really the best way to hit. It was not an illegal hit, only dirty in the sense that it was a bit predatory and unnecessary at that point of the game. That being said, if Backlund isn't staring at his laces he would easily have avoided that. Hopefully he is OK.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #300
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Is there any video of the Gio hit on Koivu?
I saw a video at HF discussing it which is pretty clear. It's not the worst knee in the history of the game but Gio has a history of doing this so who knows what the NHL will do. Would suck to lose both Backlund and Gio for any amount of time.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote