Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #81
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
While I find Fleury's political posts incredibly aggravating, I agree that a player's political views shouldn't be a reason to not honor (geez louise that's bad double negative). Though even there I have mixed feelings about that, as there is a movement towards not trusting data and science, that is bad for all of us, and Theo if furthering.

But even with all that - I don't believe his political views are the reason #14 isn't up there. I think it is largely due to how he's treated the organization and the people within it - and things he's said about them. He wants to be honored by an organization that he hasn't given much respect to. I think that's the biggest factor in play here.

If he was to be diagnosed with chronic loud mouthed dumbassery and disrespect, that would be a unifying theme across both cases.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #82
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Twitter is a cesspool, Facebook has become a cesspool, Linkedin is a cesspool.

In fact I can't name one social media site that isn't a cesspool.
Isn’t CP social media? I am not on Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn so I would agree with that assessment but CP is awesome!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #83
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Theo for me was the best example of "Never meet your idols." I have personally ever encountered.

I met a ton of Flames/Alumni when I was a member at Heritage Pointe. Most of them, were some of the funniest most down to earth guys, and you could talk to them like a next door neighbor.

Theo would not fall into that category, and I haven't respected him for 15+ years, and I do not believe he deserves a Jersey in the rafters. For me, the Conroy thing was the final nail in that coffin.

The Rudy Guiliani comparison is spot on.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #84
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Theo for me was the best example of "Never meet your idols." I have personally ever encountered.

I met a ton of Flames/Alumni when I was a member at Heritage Pointe. Most of them, were some of the funniest most down to earth guys, and you could talk to them like a next door neighbor.

Theo would not fall into that category, and I haven't respected him for 15+ years, and I do not believe he deserves a Jersey in the rafters. For me, the Conroy thing was the final nail in that coffin.

The Rudy Guiliani comparison is spot on.

Conroy thing? Now I’m curious.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #85
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I am not happy with what Theo says but arenas are full of retired player numbers for players that did some pretty crappy things outside of hockey. Fleury's political views have nothing to do with his accomplishments on the ice as a Calgary Flame. He absolutely should be in the rafters.
I don't see any good reason why we can't choose to do things differently than they were done in the past. Maybe teams should be taking more seriously a player's off-ice conduct and behaviour before they are enshrined their hockey achievements. As good as Fleury was, I have no problem with the Flames withholding this honour from him.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #86
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a former believer in many a conspiracy theory, I don't exactly see myself as being in a position to condemn Theo too harshly. His rhetoric lately has been reprehensible and reckless, but then again so was some of mine 6-7 years ago.

If there's a positive takeaway here, it's that it's not beyond the realm of possibly that he may one day see the light and realize how irrational and lacking of evidence most of these theories really are. I was hella dug in at one point, and if I could find my way out of the rabbit hole, it seems plausible that he can too.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:58 PM   #87
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Basically complained that guys calling the shots are a joke if he could have an amazing preseason and get cut, but Conroy made the team.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #88
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Basically complained that guys calling the shots are a joke if he could have an amazing preseason and get cut, but Conroy made the team.
Instead of taking the high and honorable road, Theo decided to take a dump on the organization, and fan favorite Craig Conroy in particular. With the sourest of grapes, Fleury posted the following in January 2010 after being cut in his 2009-2010 comeback attempt:

Quote:
Wow, what a year! At this time last year, I was 45 pounds overweight and thinking about making a comeback. HAHAHAHA! Anyway, we put our nose to the grindstone and boy did we make a comeback. At one hundred and eighty pounds, I finished 11th out of 56 guys at camp in the fitness test and scored a historic shootout goal in an exhibition game after being out of hockey for six years. What does that say about the talent level in the NHL? 4 points and a plus 4 rating in four exhibition games and I get cut. What a joke! Craig Conroy goes the first 37 games of the season with zero goals. I wonder how many I would have had. Even with all the stupid people that run the game of hockey, it’s still a great game. Go figure. Anyway, then the book comes out and starts flying off the shelves. The truth will set you free! 100,000 copies and counting. Thank you for all your support.
Source: https://www.matchsticksandgasoline.c...s-craig-conroy

There is so much insecurity and bitterness to unpack there. Maybe most notably the 'historic' shootout goal in a preseason game.

Have at 'er.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 08:19 PM   #89
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
”Even with all the stupid people that run the game of hockey, it’s still a great game.”
This is the stuff Jiri is referring to, and in my opinion a more serious insult than the one thrown at Conroy. If this is how he talks about Flames ownership/management publicly, imagine what that relationship has been like behind closed doors.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #90
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

^^

That Theo quote above, literally reads like a Trump tweet.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 08:27 PM   #91
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Instead of taking the high and honorable road, Theo decided to take a dump on the organization, and fan favorite Craig Conroy in particular. With the sourest of grapes, Fleury posted the following in January 2010 after being cut in his 2009-2010 comeback attempt:

Source: https://www.matchsticksandgasoline.c...s-craig-conroy

There is so much insecurity and bitterness to unpack there. Maybe most notably the 'historic' shootout goal in a preseason game.

Have at 'er.
If the Flames did not step in as they did that season, Fleury may still well be still be under league wide suspension that he got in 2003 for multiple infractions of the substance abuse program. Instead, the Flames got him to retire with dignity and it allows him to get a pension. It must have been with much trepidation the organization put him into the sideshow exhibition games.

That said, probably the least surprised at his pot shot at Conroy wouldve been the organization, who had to have dealt with this sort of drama from Fleury for most of the 90s and since.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 08:31 PM   #92
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The disappointing part for me is that this stuff takes away from the really great stuff he does as a survivor and being willing to speak about it and lead in that area.

He’s using that awesome platform he has as a community leader to spread a bunch of ill informed junk he knows nothing about, and does a disservice to what he actually can and does offer society.

He needs to cut it out and get back to being a leader in something he can make a positive difference with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Reeeeead is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 10:26 PM   #93
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I see a lot of stuff Theo's posts and shake my head

The guy grew up with no education, abused, got hooked on drugs. Does he extent of this make his post-career actions excusable. . . I don't know

The only thing this guy ever had in life was hockey, and he was extremely good at it. In my opinion he should be in the HOF. He's a HOF calibre hockey player and perhaps nothing more.
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:09 AM   #94
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
^^

That Theo quote above, literally reads like a Trump tweet.
Especially this part:

Quote:
and scored a historic shootout goal in an exhibition game
Very Oiler-esque *shudder*
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:38 AM   #95
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

So basically #### theo. I can get on board with that. Survivor of this or that he genuinely doesn't seem like a good human . I've met him . Didnt like him but thought it was because I have a hard time getting along with anyone but seems that's not the case. Seems like a trashy person with great skill but non of the human qualities you'd want pushing humanity forward.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:50 AM   #96
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
While I find Fleury's political posts incredibly aggravating, I agree that a player's political views shouldn't be a reason to not honor (geez louise that's bad double negative). Though even there I have mixed feelings about that, as there is a movement towards not trusting data and science, that is bad for all of us, and Theo is furthering that

But even with all that - I don't believe his political views are the reason #14 isn't up there. I think it is largely due to how he's treated the organization and the people within it - and things he's said about them. He wants to be honored by an organization that he hasn't given much respect to. I think that's the biggest factor in play here.
Completely disagree. Your off ice conduct is a reflection apon the company to a degree. If he was spitting out nazi bull#### your opinion would be different. So yes, in short a players political views do matter because if he was straight up nazi propaganda you probably wouldn't say his views don't matter. I don't know if my point is coming out clear, his political points do matter off ice. Because of his off ice views he doesn't deserve his honors on the ice. On the ice talent doesn't excuse you being a bad human.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:12 AM   #97
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Calgary Flames have always been about community first. It has been that way since the team was brought to Calgary and Skalbania wanted out. It was a community effort and done so because those people believed the value of the team to the community. Fast forward to today and the Flames are very careful to bring in players who also believe in community and commit to the players who are very participative in the community. This is a core value of the organization and something they refuse to budge on.

Theo Fleury is all about Theo Fleury. Always has been and always will be. He always put himself above the team and was always a distraction because of his nature. Theo doesn't give a rip about community unless it is to up his brand and enrich himself. The only thing he cares about promoting is Theo Fleury. He is the antithesis of the image the Calgary Flames want to project. As a result, Theo Fleury will never be honored by this team, the very team that gave him multiple chances only to be insulted and belittled. Fleury gets from the Flames exactly what he deserves. I wish the Flames would put #14 back into circulation and move the hell on.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 06:34 AM   #98
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh no, has Theo committed wrongthink again!? let's all hold hands and we can care bear stare him back to the depths of hell where he belongs!
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:44 AM   #99
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Oh no, has Theo committed wrongthink again!? let's all hold hands and we can care bear stare him back to the depths of hell where he belongs!
I don't understand the point you are making?

Are you saying a former Calgary Flames Star and Calgary resident comments and actions are not relevant enough to be worth discussion... on a Calgary Hockey Forum?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:56 AM   #100
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I don't understand the point you are making?

Are you saying a former Calgary Flames Star and Calgary resident comments and actions are not relevant enough to be worth discussion... on a Calgary Hockey Forum?
If you can still find a way to act indignant over Theo saying something crazy and disagreeable in 2020, you deserve to have your nose tweaked. How is this even news at all? This is pretty boring stuff by Theos standards.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote