Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Glenn is alive?
Yes 51 50.50%
No 50 49.50%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #101
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do you guys get AMC in HD?
Old 11-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #102
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What I liked about the pilot was that it's a drama instead of a horror show. It's more about storytelling then attempting to startle the audience. There were lots of opportunities to scare the audience and they didn't take them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenTeaFrapp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #103
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
I’ve been a big fan of Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Rubicon, so was really looking forward to this premier. Unfortunately, put me in the meh camp.

Probably going to come off as too picky, but there were more “stupid” moments in this one episode than in all of the episodes of the other 3 shows combined, including:

1. “Hey, little girl. . . .” - Bad start. They’ve been advertising this as a zombie show for months, so we weren’t going to be even mildly surprised that she was a zombie, and at that point in the timeline he’s well aware of the zombie situation, so he just looked stupid thinking this lone, shuffling, mottle skinned girl would be anything other than a zombie.
It's a story about survival. The zombie girl picked up a teddy bear! He could help the little girl. Turned out he was wrong. It was a great open.

Quote:
2. “Assume the fetal position” - He goes home and has a breakdown in his living room, but when he goes back later he shows that he rationally analysed the situation and concluded that his wife and son left alive?
That is perfectly explained. No pictures around the house and clothes have been packed. You're just looking for something to complain about.

Quote:
3. “No questions asked. . . . “ - So he’s woken up in a desolate land filled with nothing but corpses and freaky hands barricaded in a room, comes across the first living people he’s seen anywhere. . . . and is cold and slightly belligerent? Even being tied up, there’s no way his reaction isn’t “WTF is going on?” and “Thank god I’m not alone!”
Obviously you have been tied up before. And when they could be crazy's you definitely take the approach of control... You know, being all tied up with the people who just cold bloodily killed a man in broad daylight. Yup, I'd be talking up a storm there!

Quote:
4. “Smell ya later. . . .” - So both cowboy rick and black daddy & son have come across some of the few non-zombies left, and yet they calmly part ways with barely a discussion? Not likely.
One want's to find his family, the other needs to off his zombie wife... They can communicate by radio and catch up in a few days. Not a problem here.

Quote:
5. “I’ll just hit an ESSO” - He has to know how far it is to Atlanta, yet somehow takes a cruiser obviously nearly empty, and just wanders the countryside with a canister? Who doesn’t know to stock up on fuel?
Who doesn't know he hasn't tried yet? They just picked this part to show on camera, you know, because multiple empty gas stations would be common in this scenario IMO.

Quote:
6. “Looks like a good hiding place. . . .” - No, no one would crawl under a tank to get away from a zombie horde.
WHY THE FACE! He can't go anywhere else! Path of least resistance? Dude seriously. Brutal argument here.

Quote:
7. “Skipped their Wheaties. . . .” - So we’re to believe zombie-ism has swept the country in short order, and they can pull down a full grown horse, yet cowboy rick doesn’t get scratched despite being swarmed?
Looks like it!

Quote:
8. “It’s a bit out of the way. . . .” - Cowboy rick’s former partner, wife and son all make it out OK, and just leave him in the hospital?
If your town was being attacked and the tv or radio says get out now and go to Atlanta... Would you risk it if he was already dead or half dead and piratically a Zombie too? Hell what's in the basement? Corpses? This is a build up for the human element when he eventually finds his family. His buddy will have to explain himself.

If you really have these issues I suggest watching something else, because you need to be spoon fed storyline. Try watching The Big Bang Theory or #hit my dad says.

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 11-02-2010 at 05:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #104
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The writer of the comic,Kirkman has said that he has no ending for this story. It's just going to keep on going. I wonder how the TV series will end because unless it's the simpsons i can't see it going on for more than 7-8 seasons.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #105
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Probably going to come off as too picky,
Very.

Picking apart something like a Zombie TV show is just asinine.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #106
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGA View Post
I bet he figured with a Zombie Horse, he wouldn't have to feed it, and since the horse eats grass, wouldn't be a threat to him. So, he'd have a crazy zombie horse he wouldn't have to worry about ever.
Last week Rockstar released an add-on to Red Dead Redemption called Undead Nightmare. You play as the same character from RDR except most of the people in the world have been infected with some sort of zombie disease. A lot of the animals in the world are also undead. You can ride a zombie horse in the game. It never loses its stamina and never attacks you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
Do you guys get AMC in HD?
Yes.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #107
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
That is perfectly explained. No pictures around the house and clothes have been packed. You're just looking for something to complain about.
That's my point -- he looks around, sees they had time to pack pictures and clothes, concludes they go away. . . . then breaks down crying and thrashing? Given how wooden he is the rest of the episode?

Quote:
Obviously you have been tied up before. And when they could be crazy's you definitely take the approach of control... You know, being all tied up with the people who just cold bloodily killed a man in broad daylight. Yup, I'd be talking up a storm there!
So no curiosity about how the world went from bustling to deserted in short order?

Quote:
Who doesn't know he hasn't tried yet? They just picked this part to show on camera, you know, because multiple empty gas stations would be common in this scenario IMO.
So the cruiser parked outside the police station is the one car in town with gas? Convenient.

Quote:
WHY THE FACE! He can't go anywhere else! Path of least resistance? Dude seriously. Brutal argument here.
Path of least resistance is to put yourself in a position where you'll be surrounded with no ability to move quickly? If you can't run, climb on the tank and into the open hatch. Crawling under was simply the path of maximum drama.

Quote:
Looks like it!
So you'll just buy the lack of logic? Fine, but it bugged me.

Quote:
If your town was being attacked and the tv or radio says get out now and go to Atlanta... Would you risk it if he was already dead or half dead and piratically a Zombie too? Hell what's in the basement? Corpses? This is a build up for the human element when he eventually finds his family. His buddy will have to explain himself.
The premise of the human element is a man struggling to find his family. . . . who abandoned him. And not to an overpowering swarm a la I Am Legend, but a bunch of shambling dawdlers. If cowboy rick can beat one with a bat, and run through a swarm at least for a little while unscathed, how did the US Army get overrun?

Quote:
If you really have these issues I suggest watching something else, because you need to be spoon fed storyline. Try watching The Big Bang Theory or #hit my dad says.
Wait, you think my problem is that I need something simpler?

Look, I'm not as down on it as I may appear, but I expected better from AMC than your standard zombie story where you have to accept gaps in logic for the sake of creating drama.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #108
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Very.

So it was asinine to hope/expect a network with a motto "Story Matters", which featured shows which were some of the smartest written on TV, to come up with something better than your conventional Zombie TV show?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #109
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Very.

Asinine is such a good word. Seriously, I am just excited that a show like this actually made it to pilot. This can only get better.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #110
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
The biggest unrealistic part is the zombies and zombie storyline.
Agreed. If only they had created a series about a group of best friends living in New York together and all their wild hijinks. I really dig that stuff. Great television.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #111
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Look, I'm not as down on it as I may appear, but I expected better from AMC than your standard zombie story where you have to accept gaps in logic for the sake of creating drama.
You do realize this is based on a comic right? So far it has been pretty dedicated to the comic. If they were to explain EVERYTHING like you want, the pilot would have been 3 hours long.

Whether they choose to follow the comic or not in successive seasons or not I don't know, but as it is now they probably will. And that is how the comics go, you can't have a ton of info. to explain things. They assume the reader is intelligent enough to fill in the pieces. (I am not insulting you, just saying in general)
Old 11-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #112
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve been a big fan of Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Rubicon, so was really looking forward to this premier. Unfortunately, put me in the meh camp.

Probably going to come off as too picky, but there were more “stupid” moments in this one episode than in all of the episodes of the other 3 shows combined, including:

1. “Hey, little girl. . . .” - Bad start. They’ve been advertising this as a zombie show for months, so we weren’t going to be even mildly surprised that she was a zombie, and at that point in the timeline he’s well aware of the zombie situation, so he just looked stupid thinking this lone, shuffling, mottle skinned girl would be anything other than a zombie.

2. “Assume the fetal position” - He goes home and has a breakdown in his living room, but when he goes back later he shows that he rationally analysed the situation and concluded that his wife and son left alive?

3. “No questions asked. . . . “ - So he’s woken up in a desolate land filled with nothing but corpses and freaky hands barricaded in a room, comes across the first living people he’s seen anywhere. . . . and is cold and slightly belligerent? Even being tied up, there’s no way his reaction isn’t “WTF is going on?” and “Thank god I’m not alone!”

4. “Smell ya later. . . .” - So both cowboy rick and black daddy & son have come across some of the few non-zombies left, and yet they calmly part ways with barely a discussion? Not likely.

5. “I’ll just hit an ESSO” - He has to know how far it is to Atlanta, yet somehow takes a cruiser obviously nearly empty, and just wanders the countryside with a canister? Who doesn’t know to stock up on fuel?

6. “Looks like a good hiding place. . . .” - No, no one would crawl under a tank to get away from a zombie horde.

7. “Skipped their Wheaties. . . .” - So we’re to believe zombie-ism has swept the country in short order, and they can pull down a full grown horse, yet cowboy rick doesn’t get scratched despite being swarmed?

8. “It’s a bit out of the way. . . .” - Cowboy rick’s former partner, wife and son all make it out OK, and just leave him in the hospital?
Good points made, I found myself asking the same questions and finding the same inconsistences.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #113
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
You do realize this is based on a comic right? So far it has been pretty dedicated to the comic. If they were to explain EVERYTHING like you want, the pilot would have been 3 hours long.

Whether they choose to follow the comic or not in successive seasons or not I don't know, but as it is now they probably will. And that is how the comics go, you can't have a ton of info. to explain things. They assume the reader is intelligent enough to fill in the pieces. (I am not insulting you, just saying in general)
Plus the missing pieces make for interesting speculation and/or discussion

If you want to b**** and moan about the subtle inconsistencies of The Walking Dead you might be better served over at IMDB board
Old 11-03-2010, 12:57 AM   #114
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's my point -- he looks around, sees they had time to pack pictures and clothes, concludes they go away. . . . then breaks down crying and thrashing? Given how wooden he is the rest of the episode?
You do realize he came up with this conclusion about his family, and ran back into the house from outside (cuz the other two were squatting next door), scenes later (which was a day later) and somethings were explained to him by the man and his son. No issue here.

Quote:
So no curiosity about how the world went from bustling to deserted in short order?
Let's give EVERYTHING away in the pilot... If you're not curious then they didn't do their job when they made the show.

Quote:
So the cruiser parked outside the police station is the one car in town with gas? Convenient.
He is a cop, and a peace authority. Driving in a cruiser would help the most people no?

Quote:
Path of least resistance is to put yourself in a position where you'll be surrounded with no ability to move quickly? If you can't run, climb on the tank and into the open hatch. Crawling under was simply the path of maximum drama.
He was already on the ground! He'd actually get scratched easier with your suggestion! How fast can you climb a tank surrounded by Zombies?

Quote:
So you'll just buy the lack of logic? Fine, but it bugged me.
I'm not buying what your selling. The ZOMBIE TV show did quite fine thank you.

Quote:
The premise of the human element is a man struggling to find his family. . . . who abandoned him. And not to an overpowering swarm a la I Am Legend, but a bunch of shambling dawdlers. If cowboy rick can beat one with a bat, and run through a swarm at least for a little while unscathed, how did the US Army get overrun?
He didn't run through. Watch it again.The horse fell, the zombies ate the mammal making all the noise (You know, keeping to the zombie design of the show). The zombies finally saw him after a few seconds and his massive panic, he looked behind and rolled under the tank. Not an issue. Good story.

Quote:
Wait, you think my problem is that I need something simpler?
From the issues you have and seem to have a deal with... Something much more different that this show.

Quote:
See the ratings? Have you watched a good Zombie show lately? This show is unreal. I'm not a zombie movie lover. I loved this show because the zombies caused this but they are not the story. The people or aka, The Walking Dead, because the author actually is talking about the survivors in the title, are the story here.

Just like the Soprano's, most people were fooled into believing they were watching a crime family show, but, in fact, they were watch a show filled with family issues. The Mafia in Soprano's and the Zombies in TWD are the element that will make the people tune in.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #115
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The first episode was great and I'm looking forward to the rest.

I think arguing about how people would react to the dead rising and attacking the living is pretty ridiculous. Suspend disbelief and just enjoy the show.

The dude was riding a horse, into a city filled with thousands of dead people walking around, gets attacked, and you think you can predict what he'd do in that situation?

Part of the fun of watching movies and television is seeing someone react to a situation in a way that you wouldn't. If all we saw were "I'd totally do that too" moments we soils be pretty bored with TV.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #116
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok, will try again.

Here in Toronto, I look at my programming guide and only see this show on SD AMC channel.

Do you guys get HD AMC?
Is AMC in HD?
Anyone know if Rogers carries it?
Am I just an idiot and missing something very blatent?

Why is the software and graphics associated with PVR/digital cable still stuck in 1985? Super Nintendo made better use of menus and colours.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #117
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How was it in short order? He was in a coma for over a month.

Quote:
All the cars at the station were behind a locked and barbed wire fence. Not the easiest vehicles to hot wire or syphon from.

Quote:
Does this really matter? His horse fell over, he landed on the ground and crawled under a tank.

I really think you're being too picky here.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #118
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, will try again.

Here in Toronto, I look at my programming guide and only see this show on SD AMC channel.

Do you guys get HD AMC?
Is AMC in HD?

Why is the software and graphics associated with PVR/digital cable still stuck in 1985? Super Nintendo made better use of menus and colours.

I get it in HD but on Bell
Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #119
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you guys get HD AMC?
Is AMC in HD?
Yes, Shaw carries AMC HD. I don't know about Rogers.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #120
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yes, Shaw carries AMC HD. I don't know about Rogers.
Rogers doesn't.
Closed Thread

Tags
brains! , i ate your momma , zombies