Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2021, 01:59 PM   #261
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I do. I want Kane to suffer severe consequences of his stupidity.
Someone needs to insert a "Why not both?" meme...lol
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:45 PM   #262
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Please show when Richards was charged with a "felony". I'm interested, since he was arrested in Canada, which has no such charge, and since he was dealt with in provincial court, meaning it was treated as summary conviction and not an indictable offence.

In fact he was arrested for possession of a controlled substance without a prescription, not for transporting. And was he convicted? No, the charge was stayed by the Crown. He didn't even have to enter a plea.

FWIW, Kane has been charged but not convicted before as well.
Original charge was possession of a controlled substance. Which in Canada is a Class 1 charge (not listed as a felony but that is technical wording)

What's the punishment for controlled substance?
It is illegal to possess, supply and produce. Possession of Class A drugs carries a maximum sentence of 7 years' imprisonment and a fine. Possession with intent to supply, trafficking offences and production of Class A drugs carry a maximum sentence of life imprisonment and a fine.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/....8/page-3.html

So you are right, TECHNICALLY he wasn't charged with a felony, he just committed one and got a lenient judge.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:06 PM   #263
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Original charge was possession of a controlled substance. Which in Canada is a Class 1 charge (not listed as a felony but that is technical wording)

It is illegal to possess, supply and produce. Possession of Class A drugs carries a maximum sentence of 7 years' imprisonment and a fine. Possession with intent to supply, trafficking offences and production of Class A drugs carry a maximum sentence of life imprisonment and a fine.

So you are right, TECHNICALLY he wasn't charged with a felony, he just committed one and got a lenient judge.
LOL. Turn in your law degree.

First, crimes in Canada are indictable, summary conviction or hybrid, meaning they can be handled either way. There's no "Class 1 Charge".

Second, your link goes to a page with offences is not what he was charged with - he wasn't charged with importing, he wasn't charged with producing and he wasn't charged with trafficking. Look on the previous page for simple possession: and then look at what happens for a first time offender charged with a summary conviction offence - a maximum fine of $1K or 6 months. and the law is that maximum penalties are reserved for the worst examples of the crime. We know it was summary conviction because he was in provincial court. The max sentence for an indictable offence conviction means nothing in this case.

Third, a judge had nothing to do with it. The Crown prosecutor stayed the charges, apparently after being shown the weaknesses in his case by Richards' lawyer. A judge never ruled on anything.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 05:08 PM   #264
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:

You’re arguing with a Canadian lawyer about Canadian legal terminology and making yourself look foolish. The term felony does not exist in Canada.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:13 PM   #265
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
You’re arguing with a Canadian lawyer about Canadian legal terminology and making yourself look foolish. The term felony does not exist in Canada.
It doesn't really matter though. Kane has been charged and not convicted of things in his past as well as Richards, and those were offences against people, not like Richards' charge.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:16 PM   #266
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
LOL. Turn in your law degree.

First, crimes in Canada are indictable, summary conviction or hybrid, meaning they can be handled either way. There's no "Class 1 Charge".

Second, your link goes to a page with offences is not what he was charged with - he wasn't charged with importing, he wasn't charged with producing and he wasn't charged with trafficking. Look on the previous page for simple possession: and then look at what happens for a first time offender charged with a summary conviction offence - a maximum fine of $1K or 6 months. and the law is that maximum penalties are reserved for the worst examples of the crime. We know it was summary conviction because he was in provincial court. The max sentence for an indictable offence conviction means nothing in this case.

Third, a judge had nothing to do with it. The Crown prosecutor stayed the charges, apparently after being shown the weaknesses in his case by Richards' lawyer. A judge never ruled on anything.
Thanks for your answer, I know you are a lawyer and appreciate your input. History with the Mike Richards charge on a personal level have given me pretty good insight, if convicted he would be deemed a felon in the US and not able to travel until such time as he got a pardon, but thankfully he never proceeded to that level. Let me know next time you defend a person in this position or has actually been arrested with the same charges.

Just an aside, what do you tell your clients to say when they are asked at the border if they smoke week or have an impaired driving conviction?
Old 09-28-2021, 06:17 PM   #267
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
I know, I didn't word in properly, but I lived it so I do have some knowledge. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:27 PM   #268
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for your answer, I know you are a lawyer and appreciate your input. History with the Mike Richards charge on a personal level have given me pretty good insight, if convicted he would be deemed a felon in the US and not able to travel until such time as he got a pardon, but thankfully he never proceeded to that level. Let me know next time you defend a person in this position or has actually been arrested with the same charges.

Just an aside, what do you tell your clients to say when they are asked at the border if they smoke week or have an impaired driving conviction?
If they were arrested before and the charges were stayed like Richards, I’d say they can say no to the second question, and they don’t have to answer the first one.

I’ve helped many people get pardons for minor offences, or get travel waivers, it’s not that hard.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:58 PM   #269
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If they were arrested before and the charges were stayed like Richards, I’d say they can say no to the second question, and they don’t have to answer the first one.

I’ve helped many people get pardons for minor offences, or get travel waivers, it’s not that hard.
My charges weren't stayed, took me a few years to get a pardon etc. I asked the other question because I had a couple buddies denied entry to the US at the airport because they admitted to both things in their past. They were surprised, haha.

Thanks for your informative reply and how you worded it.

And I think Kane should be kicked out of the league if what his ex says is true, but I am a firm believer that things need to be proved.

Last edited by Beatle17; 09-28-2021 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:08 AM   #270
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I do. I want Kane to suffer severe consequences of his stupidity.
Sharks knew what they were getting into when they signed him. Maybe not to this extent, but they knew he was trouble. Plenty of people in that organization know the pulse around the league. Heck, they know plenty more then we'll ever know.

At some point a risk vs reward comparison was made and the GM decided that it was worth the risk for extra goals and toughness on the ice.

Kane doesn't deserve the money he's getting paid and he is a giant POS for sure. But I am more than happy to see the Sharks squirm with this distraction for the duration of the contract. Tired of seeing teams making their bed and not laying in it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #271
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Friedman says Kane is also being investigated for possibly violating the NHL's Covid protocols in addition to his wife's new allegations.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...col-violation/
Evidently for using a fake vaccine card.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1445543490352418826
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #272
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Crikey. The guy just can't stop himself from doing dumb things.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:25 PM   #273
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This guy man....its like he just cant help himself.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:03 PM   #274
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been a crappy year to be Evander Kane. I don’t see how he ever recovers at this point. I think his career is done.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:11 PM   #275
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Of course he faked a vaccination card. Of course he did.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:14 PM   #276
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if he bet that he could get away with it.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:26 PM   #277
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's hard to believe a guy who chose to engage in unprotected sex, risking disease and ending up with multiple unwanted pregnancies over wearing a condom would fake a vaccination card.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:42 PM   #278
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really can't understand how the NHL hasn't come out and condemned his actions yet. Honestly this is garbage. Are they afraid of the backlash from the community because he's black?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:50 PM   #279
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think with off the ice issues, as a company they're afraid of getting sued for any condemnation where something can't be proven. I imagine he's itching to make money any way he can and they're probably conscious of that. I'm sure they'd like him to just go away and have nothing to do with him.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:57 PM   #280
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another point for anti-vaxxers and their defenders