Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #41
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I think I saw the greatest unintentionally hilarious Trek episode ever.

DS9. Season 4?

Guy comes thru the worm hole, Bajoran, says he's a poet from 300 years ago and the prophets spoke to him and he's the new emissary. There's some other stuff going on but suffice to say him and Sisko end up not seeing eye to eye because of 300 year old poet emissary guy's crazy views.

So poet guy and Sisko go into the wormhole to let the prophets decide. While in the ethereal world the prophets say Sisko is right and 300 year old poet guy is wrong. They offer to send 300 year old poet guy back to his own time to finish living out his life like normal instead of going back to DS9 or Bajor. He accepts, Sisko remains emissary, everybody is happy, right?

Ok so imagine this. You're crazy vedic lady. Or just any religious fanatic Bajoran (so most of them). Sisko goes on a runabout trip with his emissary rival who wants to institute a bunch of crazy religious customs. Sisko and crazy vadic lady have already had some battles at this point. Borderline enemies. Sisko returns to the station sans the 300 year old poet religious fanatic. I can just imagine his conversation upon return, "oh yeah, so the prophets like totally sent him back 300 years to finish his life. I definitely didn't murder him and dump him out the back of the shuttle into the gamma quadrant".

And everybody just goes along with it!! WTF? How are people not suspicious? No one even asks him about it. Not that he'd be able to prove it either way. The episode does not address how insanely hilarious and sketchy this incident is.

In fact, I like to think Sisko did murder him and dump his body in the Gamma quadrant. It is way funnier that way.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #42
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think I saw the greatest unintentionally hilarious Trek episode ever.

DS9. Season 4?

Guy comes thru the worm hole, Bajoran, says he's a poet from 300 years ago and the prophets spoke to him and he's the new emissary. There's some other stuff going on but suffice to say him and Sisko end up not seeing eye to eye because of 300 year old poet emissary guy's crazy views.

So poet guy and Sisko go into the wormhole to let the prophets decide. While in the ethereal world the prophets say Sisko is right and 300 year old poet guy is wrong. They offer to send 300 year old poet guy back to his own time to finish living out his life like normal instead of going back to DS9 or Bajor. He accepts, Sisko remains emissary, everybody is happy, right?

Ok so imagine this. You're crazy vedic lady. Or just any religious fanatic Bajoran (so most of them). Sisko goes on a runabout trip with his emissary rival who wants to institute a bunch of crazy religious customs. Sisko and crazy vadic lady have already had some battles at this point. Borderline enemies. Sisko returns to the station sans the 300 year old poet religious fanatic. I can just imagine his conversation upon return, "oh yeah, so the prophets like totally sent him back 300 years to finish his life. I definitely didn't murder him and dump him out the back of the shuttle into the gamma quadrant".

And everybody just goes along with it!! WTF? How are people not suspicious? No one even asks him about it. Not that he'd be able to prove it either way. The episode does not address how insanely hilarious and sketchy this incident is.

In fact, I like to think Sisko did murder him and dump his body in the Gamma quadrant. It is way funnier that way.

The only kink in this theory is that Sisko would have had to go through a lot of real effort to make this happen since all of Laan's unfinished works are now suddenly completed at the end of the episode much to the shock of everyone else.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

What if he just pushed them out of the airlock during the wormhole trip?

What happens then?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #44
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't they have security cameras in the future?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #45
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
The only kink in this theory is that Sisko would have had to go through a lot of real effort to make this happen since all of Laan's unfinished works are now suddenly completed at the end of the episode much to the shock of everyone else.

But if he's killed him the works are never finished. Kira was surprised when she saw his poems complete. Sisko murders him instead of sending him back and I guarantee you no one bats an eye wondering why the poems aren't finished.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #46
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Theres no money so theres nothing to steal so security cameras seem redundant.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #47
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was just thinking of something the other day. How come Data never got wi-fi? I mean they show him operating computer panels with super speed to show how impressive it is that he can do that as an android, but seriously, why does he not just link wirelessly to the ship's computer? Data even hilariously plugged in his head into the ship now and then. I guess there just wasn't much wireless technology around when the show aired. Although I do seem to recall one episode where a stolen phaser was deactivated by the computer remotely.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I was just thinking of something the other day. How come Data never got wi-fi? I mean they show him operating computer panels with super speed to show how impressive it is that he can do that as an android, but seriously, why does he not just link wirelessly to the ship's computer? Data even hilariously plugged in his head into the ship now and then. I guess there just wasn't much wireless technology around when the show aired. Although I do seem to recall one episode where a stolen phaser was deactivated by the computer remotely.
Is there Wi-Fi in space? Can the internet operate within a vacuum? What would the reception be like? Is it 5G? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #49
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Theres no money so theres nothing to steal so security cameras seem redundant.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/H...Conference.jpg

And yet there they are.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #50
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post

Old 09-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #51
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
there's a lot of stuff about the way Data and the Enterprise D computer work that are silly by today's standards, if you think about it too hard. our current sci-fi shows will be equally dumb when we rewatch them on holographic Netflix in 2048.

for example here's Data inputting a nice strong password to lock the computer, using Picard's voice. sure that might be enough to fool your Android's voice unlock, but he'd have been immediately thwarted if there was anything resembling the most basic biometric check that we have today, such as fingerprints or Face ID. and this is supposed to be the far future when the computer can scan for very specific life forms and signatures.

even Discovery's "breath" unlock is dumb as all hell. any sort of future security system should be pretty much infallible unless the computer itself is hacked or rewritten. also Data said once he could store a maximum of 800 quadrillion bits, which is about 100 petabytes. quite a bit of data by today's standards but there's probably large data centers and research installations out there that have more. also not that impressive considering a human brain isn't too many orders of magnitude behind at an estimated 2.5PB.

that's why it's just easier to stick to measurements like kiloquads and isotons, so that you can keep nerds arguing over it for decades instead of making it look hokey a few years down the road when humanity actually catches up in real life.

Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #52
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve been playing Star Trek timelines on iOS. Some really obscure characters in the game. I’ve stopped religiously reading the “plot” as the game has gone deeper.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #53
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I played it for a while too. It's pretty fun and you're right about the obscure characters you can get.

You can't advance very far without paying the monthly fee so I ended up quitting. I'm not against paying developers for their work but the fee structure was pretty bad when I played a year ago.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:21 PM   #54
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I find some of the prices to be high and I’m thinking that I’m going to run into a wall soon for enjoyment. But I’ll keep going for a while I think.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #55
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious if anyone is going to be at Greatest Gen Kahn this Saturday in Edmonton.

In other words, are any of you Freinds of DeSoto?
Old 10-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #56
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If there was security cameras and data encryption, half of all Star Trek plots couldn’t exist.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #57
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

7 seasons and 176 episodes centered around the crystalline entity.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #58
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Also really poorly designed shield systems and transporters.

It always seems like the Ventral shields collapse, and whenever they beam someone into a dangerous situation the transporters fail.

Also watching Wraith of Kahn. What was the point of having an encrypted command code if its 7 digit code and all of the codes are stored in the database of every star ship?

And why in the hell do they need like 20 different tablets? Every episode of TNG Picard is sitting at his desk and there's like 10 tablets, come on I only need one.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #59
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally got a chance to watch The Orville. Wow it takes the piss at Star Trek while also being one of the best "Star Trek" shows ever. With this scratching my sci-fi itch Season 2 of Discovery is going to be on a very short leash.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #60
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Kind of cool thing they'll be doing in the next couple months called 'Short Treks' -- basically small short films focusing on expanding on certain Discovery characters (including one we haven't met yet). I like this short form idea and it will be the only new canon content we receive in 2018. And they debut soon!

http://www.startrek.com/article/shor...edule-revealed

Also heavily hints at a Feb/March debut for season 2 of Discovery, based on that schedule. No indication of how we'll be able to watch them in Canada, maybe on Space Channel? Or just find them on your Plex.
Just a heads up that these will be airing on Space Channel, starting tomorrow at 7 PM! Woo, new Star Trek tomorrow!

They’ve also confirmed a January start for season 2 of Discovery.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote