Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2021, 11:59 AM   #11701
PeteMoss
Franchise Player
 
PeteMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SW Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
Canada’s food inflation figures are wrong, critics say — mainly because just three grocers supply the data

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...-the-data.html

The government is likely “underestimating the budget pressures on low-income Canadian families”, because of bad measurements of food price inflation.
Quote:
Take the federal agency’s own findings, Morrison said. In September 2019, Canadians paid an average of $2.82 for 500 grams of peanut butter, according to Statistics Canada.

In September 2020, that price had dropped to $2.69. And by September 2021, it was back at $2.82.

“I don’t see this in my data,” said Morrison. “We see a range from $3.39 to $5.59 in the current price. And at the highest, we see up to $9.99.”
I open my flipp app, here's what I see for Peanut butter:

Selection Peanut Butter - $3.79 for 1000g ($1.90 for 500g)
Planters Peanut Butter - $3.98 for 1000g (less than $2 for 500g)
Farm Boy 100% all natural peanut butter - $2.99 for 500g (this is premium type grocery store and all natural peanut butter)
No name peanut butter - $3.78 for 1000g (or $7 for 2) - $1.90 for 500g
Jif peanut butter - $4.99 for 100g ($2.50 for 500g)


No idea where she is looking or if prices are higher in Saskatchewan than here in Ontario, but the stats can prices seem accurate.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:34 PM   #11702
Izzle
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

She says that they government is underestimating the budgetary pressures on low income families and then goes to say that independent grocers should be included in the inflation calculation. Low income families aren't going to independent grocers as those prices are higher than you'd typically find at Walmart or superstore.
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #11703
Firebot
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.c...eanut%20butter

3.69$ for Kraft Peanut Butter 500g
3.29$ for No Name Peanut Butter 500g
4.49$ Jif Peanut Butter 500g when at regular price

And this is superstore largely seen as the 2nd cheapest option in Alberta (No Frills is slightly lower).

Yes groceries are way more expensive outside of Ontario, and Ontario most definitely is not the best method to measure across the country.

Also don't compare 1KG or higher and use it to compare the $ / per g, the 500g jar will be noticeably higher especially for peanut butter (I wonder if this factored in the discrepancies as well)

Last edited by Firebot; 10-25-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:42 PM   #11704
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

It is likely complicated to get a handle on the real price changes; however, that being said, this is a part of the government that deals with numbers and data.

I would tend to think of their reported figure as some type of blunted real world number.

Let’s not forget that the Trudeau government lifted millions out of poverty by restating what poverty meant.
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:53 PM   #11705
Firebot
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

More food pricing - from Calgary Coop (a large number of Calgargians use and I do from time to time as well)

https://shoponline.calgarycoop.com/b...eanut%20butter

https://shoponline.calgarycoop.com/b.../product/14711

5.19$ 500G Jiff Peanut Butter

https://shoponline.calgarycoop.com/b...#/product/7738

5.29$ 500G Kraft Peanut Butter

So yeah... (oh and don't buy from Co-op if you are looking for good prices)
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 01:01 PM   #11706
Izzle
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFin...ice_inflation/

Should be a good starting point. Also it appears that the stats can folks will do an AMA on Reddit on Nov 19.
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #11707
opendoor
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

CPI is based on actual price paid after sales, discounts, etc., not the regular price at a few random stores. So if a bunch of people are buying $3-4 per kg store-brand peanut butter and/or mostly buying on sale, that's going to bring the average down.

And even if Stats Canada is underestimating the actual price for some reason, I'd assume their metrics are relatively consistent year to year. And based on their data, peanut butter is basically as cheap as it has been in over a decade.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #11708
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

All I know is that I now want a spoon full of peanut butter.
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #11709
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
All I know is that I now want a spoon full of peanut butter.
Good news: That'll only set you back about $0.09
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #11710
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Chretien taking a lot of fire today for his statement that he didn't know about abuse at Residential schools while there's evidence to the contrary, and comparing his experience at boarding schools to Residential Schools.


https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/form...ools-1.5637504
__________________
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn’t get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16…
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:35 PM   #11711
PeteMoss
Franchise Player
 
PeteMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SW Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.c...eanut%20butter

3.69$ for Kraft Peanut Butter 500g
3.29$ for No Name Peanut Butter 500g
4.49$ Jif Peanut Butter 500g when at regular price

And this is superstore largely seen as the 2nd cheapest option in Alberta (No Frills is slightly lower).

Yes groceries are way more expensive outside of Ontario, and Ontario most definitely is not the best method to measure across the country.

Also don't compare 1KG or higher and use it to compare the $ / per g, the 500g jar will be noticeably higher especially for peanut butter (I wonder if this factored in the discrepancies as well)


Aside from the point - but I'd assume that people who buy 500g jars of peanut butter are partially insane since it basically doesn't go bad and you are paying twice the price.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #11712
Firebot
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Aside from the point - but I'd assume that people who buy 500g jars of peanut butter are partially insane since it basically doesn't go bad and you are paying twice the price.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinf...nder-1.5979468

https://www.adweek.com/agencies/aws-...urger-instead/

People be dumb.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:01 PM   #11713
StickMan
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Exp:
Default

Prime minister's mother spoke at event hosted by organization that received federal funding for jobs program

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politi...gram-1.5637616
StickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #11714
belsarius
Powerplay Quarterback
 
belsarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Edmonton
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
Prime minister's mother spoke at event hosted by organization that received federal funding for jobs program

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politi...gram-1.5637616
And?
__________________
@PR_NHL
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #11715
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
All I know is that I now want a spoon full of peanut butter.
Jiff Peanut Butter is actually pretty good.

I'd happily pay a bit more.

I know, I know, not helping the inflation percentage though.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #11716
woob
First Line Centre
 
woob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Exp:
Default

We buy the PB at Community and it's ridiculous expensive. But it's so good that it's ruined me for all other PB.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:32 PM   #11717
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Also, how many companies are raising prices just because they can?

When I look at what we pay for wholesale pricing, and what some retailers are now charging for the same thing, yeah....they're just inflating the price cause they can.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:30 PM.

Calgary Flames
2021-22




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021