Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #4321
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just drove out past Canada Olympic Park (Winsport) this weekend. I've been missing it as I've been taking the SE ring road and going out through Springbank.

My oh my, the new building they are building below COP is about the ugliest building I've seen. Truly hideous, I can't believe somebody approved this.

Here's what I'm talking about:

https://goo.gl/maps/PgLft8hFwYng47xz8
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 11:17 AM   #4322
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Seems like they're trying to maintain an aesthetic consistent with the nearby art installations.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:29 AM   #4323
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It is ugly. I think a MEC store is going in there, although there are a few retail buildings in and around that spot.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:29 AM   #4324
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

yeah that's ugly
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:36 AM   #4325
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
I just drove out past Canada Olympic Park (Winsport) this weekend. I've been missing it as I've been taking the SE ring road and going out through Springbank.

My oh my, the new building they are building below COP is about the ugliest building I've seen. Truly hideous, I can't believe somebody approved this.

Here's what I'm talking about:

https://goo.gl/maps/PgLft8hFwYng47xz8
Its also placed awkwardly close to the highway. Such a strange project all around.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:38 PM   #4326
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
What happened to the offramp at Macleod NB turning off to Stoney EB? When does that re-open?
The signs originally said closed until Aug 30, but were changed this morning to Sept 10.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 09:38 PM   #4327
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
It is ugly. I think a MEC store is going in there, although there are a few retail buildings in and around that spot.
The MEC was moving in there before they went bankrupt - I think that plan has been kiboshed.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #4328
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
The MEC was moving in there before they went bankrupt - I think that plan has been kiboshed.
They closed the one in Seton shortly after opening, can't see them opening a new store this soon.

Shame really, that store in Seton was very nice.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:49 AM   #4329
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
They closed the one in Seton shortly after opening, can't see them opening a new store this soon.

I didn't even know it ever opened, never a single car in the parking lot
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:28 AM   #4330
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I didn't even know it ever opened, never a single car in the parking lot
It was nice good stock, lots of room, good deals. Surprised you didn't see cars out front in 2019, it had quite steady traffic.

We need another bike shop in the way closest is Pure and Pedal head, which is quite the drive.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:09 AM   #4331
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
It was nice good stock, lots of room, good deals. Surprised you didn't see cars out front in 2019, it had quite steady traffic.

We need another bike shop in the way closest is Pure and Pedal head, which is quite the drive.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I thought it was terrible. It was a glorified clothing store, and a weird setup. While the downtown location was kind of annoying to get to and from, it was still much better than whatever that was supposed to be in Seton.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 07:40 AM   #4332
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I thought it was terrible. It was a glorified clothing store, and a weird setup. While the downtown location was kind of annoying to get to and from, it was still much better than whatever that was supposed to be in Seton.
It's all subjective; however, I thought the DT location was terrible (haven't been there since 2019 though). They shoved all the bike gear into a corner, and they were always out of the parts I needed and lost most sales to their competitors.

The Seton one always had the parts I needed; however, yes MEC is/was going towards a clothing store. They were attracted to the high-value margins of the overpriced sports clothing industry and started pushing that. Letting their competitors take them on, and lost them a lot of customers.

Sports clothing is a good addition to average customers spend; however, it isn't a good primary one and any business lured to make it their primary by the margin in my opinion is doomed to fail.

Side note: I think this is a failing of the coop model, you get people running it who "think" they know what they are doing, and lose track of the member, First Calgary (Connect First now) is doing a similar thing in my opinion. But worse, there last board election was a farce mean to protect the board from deserved member wrath.

Last edited by Krovikan; 09-08-2021 at 07:45 AM.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #4333
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

That location is actually turning into a gym called Evolve Strength. They have a location in Sunridge currently, and looks like the company is doing major expansions since they've got 4 locations in Edmonton, and now going to have 2 in Vancouver next year.

EDIT:

Quote:
It's all subjective; however, I thought the DT location was terrible (haven't been there since 2019 though). They shoved all the bike gear into a corner, and they were always out of the parts I needed and lost most sales to their competitors.
Is it confirmed the Trinity Hills location isn't going to be MEC still? The website still list it as a location in the shopping centre unless it hasn't been updated.

Wonder if they do open up the Trinity location, if they'll leave their downtown location then?

Last edited by Joborule; 09-08-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #4334
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

nm
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:24 AM   #4335
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I had the exact opposite experience, but I used mec for ski and backpacking gear. Everything I needed was always at the downtown store and I left seton empty handed. So stopped going there.

I do agree that clothing should be a support product line for MEC, not their main focus . Downtown still has a good selection of gear.

MEC were great for their own branded clothing, which was a reasonable price. But MEC gear has been garbage for a long time and just doesn’t seem to get any better.

Ultimately, operating a physical store is a tough business, especially if it’s the same brands as competitors but without any of the sales. When they killed off their app my MEC purchasing went way down.

Quote:

The Seton one always had the parts I needed; however, yes MEC is/was going towards a clothing store. They were attracted to the high-value margins of the overpriced sports clothing industry and started pushing that. Letting their competitors take them on, and lost them a lot of customers.

Sports clothing is a good addition to average customers spend; however, it isn't a good primary one and any business lured to make it their primary by the margin in my opinion is doomed to fail.

Side note: I think this is a failing of the coop model, you get people running it who "think" they know what they are doing, and lose track of the member, First Calgary (Connect First now) is doing a similar thing in my opinion. But worse, there last board election was a farce mean to protect the board from deserved member wrath.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #4336
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:44 AM   #4337
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been funny and sad to see the MBAs drive MEC into the ground. The west location should still make a lot of sense, especially if they open early on weekends.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:06 PM   #4338
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Back to RR and connectors. Looks like they/ve pulled the equipment off Spruce Meadows way. any chance it's open before Sept 15? Traffic report shows it open but I was by there this morning and it wasn't yet.

Anyone with first hand knowledge?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #4339
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Back to RR and connectors. Looks like they/ve pulled the equipment off Spruce Meadows way. any chance it's open before Sept 15? Traffic report shows it open but I was by there this morning and it wasn't yet.

Anyone with first hand knowledge?
I am by there regularly and it doesn't look near done yet, I would guess Sep 15 at the earliest
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 11:06 AM   #4340
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spruce Meadows Way still closed (was scheduled to open today)
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post: