Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #81
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Pretty sure that Snowman wasn't actually alive very much like Hobbes, it was her imagination that was being ignored, that was kind of the point.
Wait.

Hobbes isn't real?

Oh my God this is so much worse than the snowman thing. You heartless monster.

Relevant:
Spoiler!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:11 AM   #82
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Pretty sure that Snowman wasn't actually alive very much like Hobbes, it was her imagination that was being ignored, that was kind of the point.
Thanks for the clarification? I never got that, you know...

So wise. Symbolism... whoa!

Still creepy and fun to make fun of. They did it wrong. It's dumb. I tear up at chessy stuff too, but that commercial is all types of wrong.

#weepforthesnowman
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #83
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Man you people are weird sometimes.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 12:45 AM   #84
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Deadpool was a refreshing departure from the light-hearted, formulaic approach that I've come to expect from the comic movie genre. But beneath the swearing, and violence, and nudity, it wasn't as crazy or outrageous as I was expecting--and hoping--it would be.

I dare say it was a rather bland: It still felt a bit too much like a standard Marvel superhero movie to me, with the same generic villains, the pain in the ass comic relief, and the all-too-familiar origin story.

Don't get me wrong, I did like it: I'd put it in my top five Marvel movies.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #85
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, that was damn entertaining flick to say the least. I'm not super well versed in the comics, but from the portion of Cable & Deadpool I've read, they nailed it. The wisecracking got a little repetitive at times, but it's on point with the character, and was witty for the most part.

One thing that kinda bothered me:
Spoiler!

Overall it was a great flick however, I'm not sure how well it would hold up to repeat viewings, but Reynolds knocked it out of the park.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2016, 05:51 AM   #86
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Deadpool is the kind of movie that encompasses my need for adult humor, violence and nudity. Its almost like how I felt watching Spartacus, just 10 times better.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #87
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Well, that was damn entertaining flick to say the least. I'm not super well versed in the comics, but from the portion of Cable & Deadpool I've read, they nailed it. The wisecracking got a little repetitive at times, but it's on point with the character, and was witty for the most part.

One thing that kinda bothered me:
Spoiler!

Overall it was a great flick however, I'm not sure how well it would hold up to repeat viewings, but Reynolds knocked it out of the park.
The X-men still use deadly force but only when necessary. In a case where you have dozens of armed gun men guarding a hostage and firing their guns, the only way to stop them is to use deadly force. They don't show it as much as the x-men comics/films are not R rated. When you have guys like Wolverine running around, whose only weapon is razor sharp adamantium claws, he's either using them to kill people..or at the very least horribly maim and disfigure them.

However, when you have a bad guy captive and unable to fight, you shouldn't execute him.

Basically, similar rules to what police have.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #88
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Deadpool was a refreshing departure from the light-hearted, formulaic approach that I've come to expect from the comic movie genre. But beneath the swearing, and violence, and nudity, it wasn't as crazy or outrageous as I was expecting--and hoping--it would be.

I dare say it was a rather bland: It still felt a bit too much like a standard Marvel superhero movie to me, with the same generic villains, the pain in the ass comic relief, and the all-too-familiar origin story.

Don't get me wrong, I did like it: I'd put it in my top five Marvel movies.
It seemed like more of a market test to see if they could push things with the R rating and still attract an audience.

My guess is the next film will push things even further, as they've already established there is a purely adult audience for superhero movies.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #89
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Worldwide: $611,636,036
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...adpool2016.htm
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #90
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
On a budget of $58 million too...although I'm guessing that they spent a lot on marketing on top of that 58 million, but still.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #91
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 03-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #92
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Jesus. The number one grossing film in the X-Men franchise.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #93
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
On a budget of $58 million too...although I'm guessing that they spent a lot on marketing on top of that 58 million, but still.
I wonder how much they actually spent though. Seemed like most of the marketing was just Ryan Reynold's running around, doing Youtube videos in a suit (a lot of them with that same backdrop with him sitting on the couch), and a few Photoshopped posters. I mean it was absolutely brilliant, but I bet it wasn't that expensive either (actually probably making it more brilliant).
Old 03-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #94
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
We should remember too that every box office $ is not pure profit for the studio.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/for-holl...ual-1409241925

"A dollar of box office is not a dollar of revenue," said Bill Block, chief executive of film finance and production company QED International.

The cut of each box office dollar that studios take varies from as little as 25 cents in China to about 50 cents in the U.S.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #95
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
I wonder how much they actually spent though. Seemed like most of the marketing was just Ryan Reynold's running around, doing Youtube videos in a suit (a lot of them with that same backdrop with him sitting on the couch), and a few Photoshopped posters. I mean it was absolutely brilliant, but I bet it wasn't that expensive either (actually probably making it more brilliant).
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...b3521b867a876c

Apparently, Reynold's salary was very low and bonus based. So that would keep the "budget" low too.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:32 PM   #96
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Here they claim he made 2 million in salary. But his bonuses total over 10 million and he's set for another big bonus once it hits 800 million worldwide. It will.

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/deadpool...182700804.html
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #97
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

the movie and Reynolds deserve every penny earned from this

let this be a lesson to Fox, who was originally hesitant in green lighting this, that when you listen to fans, you will be rewarded with money from fans. LOTS of it
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #98
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting tidbit: Deadpool's mask was done in CGI.

Supposedly the mouth movements did not show up well on film so Peter Jackson's Weta Digital in Wellington NZ was hired to fix it up. I'd say they did a pretty good job!
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #99
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

The eyes and mouth were cgi on one of the masks. They also had a fully done one.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 10:28 PM   #100
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Jesus. The number one grossing film in the X-Men franchise.
The X-Men franchise isn't very good though.

Anyway, saw Deadpool yesterday. Enjoyable, kind of sweet at times and some pretty good action scenes which isn't really a given. Some jokes were a little forced, but some were pretty good. Not exactly deep, but it wasn't trying to be so what ever I went to the movies to be entertained and left satisfied. I really like it when movies aren't being pretentious about what they're trying to do.

I wasn't totally sold on that version of Colossus. I much prefer the Soviet boyscout version, and I think having him being actually horrified by Deadpools actions and really trying hard to find excuses to not stop him would have been funnier, made Deadpool stand out more and fit better with the Marvel films in general. Minor nitpick though.

Didn't expect to like Negasonic Teenage Warhead so much, the name alone hit it home for me I've always been annoyed with how much the Marvel universe tends to struggle with portraying teenage angst and rebellion, considering the amount of teenage characters it's supposed to have. She was a funny addition and a character that I think could work well in the future.

Apparently the name is picked from an existing character in the Marvel comics, but beoynd that she's essentially an original character, as this version of NTW has no similarities in powers, personality or even background (at least that we know of) to the one in the comics. Does she count as the first cinema-original character for Marvel?

I wonder if anyone ever takes a shot at Lobo? That's REALLY a character that's never going to have huge mass appeal, but maybe a miniseries or another film with a smaller budget? Pretty please? As a Christmas movie maybe?
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote