Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2024, 07:08 PM   #1
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Boxing: Tyson vs Paul

What a gimmick. Is Boxing fixed like wrestling now? Paul wants to take on someone more that twice his age. Maybe his brother can bring Ric Flair out of retirement and they can have boxing and wrestling on the same night!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:15 PM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Muhammad Ali vs. Antonio Inoki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamm...g%20Federation.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 07:43 PM   #3
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a gimmick but I'll sure tune in. Mike was training hard a couple years ago and still had it. But the problem is he doesn't want the beast to come out anymore. So I don't know if he still has the killer instinct. Paul also has this thing where for the most part he wants to sit back and tire his opponent out. Can't really do that with Mike unless his defence is spectacular. If Iron Mike decides early on to exploit him which a pro no doubt still has and finds that hole, he could knock him out cold. But Paul is also a very big guy. I honestly think it plays out like this:
- Tyson comes out swinging a little to keep Paul honest, but doesn't have the full cardio to keep going so holds himself back
- Paul likely banks on Tyson getting tired and still holds back to not get caught with a one punch situation. The fight wanes early because both get conservative (Paul doesn't want to feel the one punch power, Tyson doesn't want to use too much energy). End of round one
- Either Mike comes out swinging and just emptying the tank in the second round after having enough, and knocks the guy out, or if Paul survives, Mike gets tired, and Paul just tries wearing him out. Goes the distance where ultimately it does to decision. Paul wins because the judges are ultimately paid by him.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 12:17 AM   #4
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Honestly I've never watched any of the Paul fights but I am really looking forward to this one. Hoping Tyson knocks him out and shuts him up.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 10:42 AM   #5
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Tyson is 50 percent of what he once was, Paul is gonna die. I know Paul has become a legitimate fighter and all, but even an old Mike Tyson is a completely different animal.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:07 AM   #6
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
If Tyson is 50 percent of what he once was, Paul is gonna die. I know Paul has become a legitimate fighter and all, but even an old Mike Tyson is a completely different animal.
He very well may be 50% but I think people underestimate Paul to some degree. He may have not fought top of the line boxers but he’s fought some pro boxers and held well. His fights with UFC fighters while also not boxers, have been decisive. He’s young, big, and strong and that goes ways. To some degree he also didn’t get knocked out by Mayweather in that farce so that deserves some credit. He’s not totally looking out of place. If he were to fight a legit star he’d be handed it and perhaps would be killed but against an older Tyson it’s going to be very interesting strategically. Tyson still has that speed and if Paul decides to even attempt a flurry, he’s done. Tyson will just dodge and catch him with that one punch. But if Paul defends well and tries to tire Tyson, it’ll be close.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:10 AM   #7
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I really want Tyson to win and I suspect most who watched him come up and become champ likely feel the same, but not sure he'll last more than 3 rounds against a much younger and not terrible boxer. He'll need alone of his classic 1st or 2nd round KOs!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:23 AM   #8
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Yeah, I really want Tyson to win and I suspect most who watched him come up and become champ likely feel the same, but not sure he'll last more than 3 rounds against a much younger and not terrible boxer. He'll need alone of his classic 1st or 2nd round KOs!
The classic Tyson would get it done and over with in the first 30 seconds. The guy was a hulk.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:34 AM   #9
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well at 44 I think my athletic ability is about 60% of what it was in my early 20s. So at 57, I'm guessing Tyson is more like 25% of his former self, which would still kill most people.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 12:43 PM   #10
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll catch the highlights for this. Paul just loves to challenge over the hill fighters though. Still, he is the best of the YouTube boxers anyway...
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 12:54 PM   #11
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh, this is true? Thought some hack was just posting this on social media to get some attention.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 01:09 PM   #12
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see Paul winning this unfortunately, cardio will win the day, but would love to see Tyson knock him the #### out somehow. I find the Paul brothers absolutely insufferable.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2024, 05:48 PM   #13
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tyson was the boxing equivalent of a maniac murderer. You just know Paul's going to catch him with one good shot and that monster is going to awaken.

Scariest human to ever enter the ring.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:09 PM   #14
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Cast iron Mike TKO!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 06:34 PM   #15
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Mike is still training and around winners . Those winners Being Francis Nganneu (sp) being trained by Tyson are going to help make sure Mike doesn't embarras himself. Still don't really understand why this fight is happening as I am so tired of hearing about this guy. I hope Mike dims this guy's lights, his hype and makes people forget this Paul fella
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 06:56 PM   #16
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Want to know why this fight is happening?

$$$
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 03:24 PM   #17
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I begrudgingly have to give it to the Paul brothers for making themselves dislikeable that everyone will pay money to watch them fight washed up fighters with the hopes that they'll knock the Paul brothers out.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 03:35 PM   #18
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Paul brothers are quite the showmen. Both making money hand over fist. 27 year old fighting a soon to be senior citizen. Wonder what the script will be for this one.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 03:38 PM   #19
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tyson and Pual with both be heavily juiced. should be a fun show.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 04:24 PM   #20
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Paul better not treat this as a joke.

Even at 57, Tyson's goal is going to be to cut off the ring, get inside and if he has the same power that he used to or even close he has one thing that a lot of boxers don't have.

He has one punch knockout ability with most of his punches. Oh and he's savage if he stuns you.

He's also the first intergalactic UPS service in history, he has the ability to punch people so hard that they materialize on other planets.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote