Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 01:03 PM   #11981
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Would you trade your franchise player to a rival in your own state?
If that team is offering the best return then absolutely. I've never understood the mentality of taking a worse deal just to keep a player from a rival team. As a GM the main goal should always be to worry about your own back yard first and foremost.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 01:08 PM   #11982
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Eichel really isn’t what LA needs, I agree.

He’s exactly what NYR needs, and I suspect they’ll find a way to get him.

The Rangers have two recent top-2 picks to offer for a 24 year old Eichel.

It makes too much sense.
Maybe Buffalo would prefer to send him out of conference..
Old 05-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #11983
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Would you trade your franchise player to a rival in your own state?
Because they’re giving you the 1st overall pick last year (presumably) +++. Maybe the 2nd overall pick from two years ago - certainly I’d be asking for both of I was Buffalo, and if I were the Rangers, I’d say yes.

There’s no doubt in my mind who Panarin would rather play with for the next five years.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #11984
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It's not a question of Eichel v. Lindholm. I'm assuming they have to trade Eichel, so the question is what's the best return? In respect to Calgary, is Lindholm better than Tkachuk as far as cost, production, fit, team need? Tkachuk can't play centre, costs far more, produces less on a consistent basis. But he's 3-4 years younger, so it really depends what they want to do in the next short while.
Buffalo was able to shift Reinhart to C this year and they also have Cozens, and Middlestat up the middle. Tkachuk doesn’t produce less on a consistent basis they both have exactly 175pts in the last 3 seasons with Lindholm playing 2 more games.

I won’t be convinced that Lindholm makes more sense as a centerpiece for the Sabres vs Tkachuk. Tkachuk is a far more marketable name, has star power, and will be the mouthpiece for the Sabres if they trade him there. Maybe Tkachuk goes there then signs his QO and leaves but I don’t see Lindholm going there, lasting his 3 years and then taking a modest raise on a reasonable termed deal.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #11985
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Find a game breaker.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:29 PM   #11986
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1392199063076892674

This eager young fan is proposing the Flames target Nick Schmaltz. I like the idea, and the Coyotes are without a 1st rounder this year. Wonder what the package from the Flames could look like.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #11987
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1392199063076892674

This eager young fan is proposing the Flames target Nick Schmaltz. I like the idea, and the Coyotes are without a 1st rounder this year. Wonder what the package from the Flames could look like.
Scorp has been after Schmaltz for a while. Coyotes could definitely be a shakeup trade type of partner for the Flames they have several players I would consider
Old 05-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #11988
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Eichel is not what this team needs.

An enima is what this team needs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 01:34 PM   #11989
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Eichel really isn’t what LA needs, I agree.

He’s exactly what NYR needs, and I suspect they’ll find a way to get him.

The Rangers have two recent top-2 picks to offer for a 24 year old Eichel.

It makes too much sense.
If I'm New York I'm not offering Lafreniere for Eichel...maybe Kakko just because he hasn't looked worthy of his draft status so far.

Lafreniere on an ELC has the potential to allow you to be more competitive than you are with Eichel at $10M.

Also I doubt the Rangers would include Zibanejad, don't think that helps them as they are trying to add at center.

If the question is a package centered around Tkachuk vs a package centered around Kakko then I personally think Tkachuk is the more attractive piece.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-11-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #11990
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

I think this team definitely needs an elite #1 centre. We haven't had a true #1C since Nieuwendyk.

This might be the only realistic chance to trade for one, and his value is potentially lower than it would otherwise be due to his injury. I think it's worth the risk given the stagnation we've seen in the Flames roster recently.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 01:40 PM   #11991
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Eichel isn't far removed from being mentioned as a Hart trophy candidate. Nobody can be sure if Byfield will even be a top level player in the NHL as passing on Stuetzle was IMO a major mistake. Sabres would be crazy to accept him as the sole return as it would require a 1st round pick or two in addition.
I don't necessarily disagree but those teams might see things very differently given the attachment they have for their guys and the risk involved with giving up top tier talent for a neck injury.

And even if they do give up those assets, tkachuk might still be more appealing to them given he is established and young Vs a mystery box.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:40 PM   #11992
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Buffalo was able to shift Reinhart to C this year and they also have Cozens, and Middlestat up the middle. Tkachuk doesn’t produce less on a consistent basis they both have exactly 175pts in the last 3 seasons with Lindholm playing 2 more games.

I won’t be convinced that Lindholm makes more sense as a centerpiece for the Sabres vs Tkachuk. Tkachuk is a far more marketable name, has star power, and will be the mouthpiece for the Sabres if they trade him there. Maybe Tkachuk goes there then signs his QO and leaves but I don’t see Lindholm going there, lasting his 3 years and then taking a modest raise on a reasonable termed deal.
Cost and actual present usefulness - Lindholm. I don't think they have a C to match him over 200 feet. Reinhart also wants out, don't forget, plus he's a much more limited C than Lindholm.

I'd be happy if they took Tkachuk over Lindholm, frankly. It solves a huge cap issue.

Star power, youth - Tkachuk. But he's a bigger risk for them.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #11993
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
23 year old Tkachuk coming off a down year of 11 goals in 52 games with a qualifying offer of 9 million = Bum

24 year old Eichel coming off a down year of 2 goals in 21 GP's and a very serious injury with a cap hit of 10 million = Savior

Tkachuk may not be #1 on the Sabres wishlist across the entire NHL, but his age and past production would certainly put him near the top as a starting point in a deal I would imagine.

I don't see teams breaking the bank from Jake Eichel. In the cap world there will be very few deals that actually make sense for the team acquiring Eichel.
I guess I'm thinking of all the comments CP people made about Tkachuk over this season and asking why I'd want to take a chance on being stuck with that version of Tkachuk for a year, and then having to offer a 9M QO.

If Tkachuk had term at his current salary, they'd want him in a second.
If Tkachuk ended up there and decides he doesn't want to be in buffalo, I can see him playing the season just like he did this past one. then what?
better to leave him to be Calgary's problem.

for me as a hockey fan , seems to be too risky for the Sabres.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:49 PM   #11994
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

Problem is that the Flames are very unlikely to scorch the earth and have that "enima", whether they need it or not.

So if they won't tear it down and rebuild they should probably go hard after the elite #1C that might be available this off season.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:53 PM   #11995
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
If I'm New York I'm not offering Lafreniere for Eichel...maybe Kakko.

Lafreniere on an ELC has the potential to allow you to be more competitive than you are with Eichel at $10M.
Why not? LaFreniere had 21 points this year. If he makes huge strides next year, he’ll be between 50-60 points. That’s Good production - it shows progression, and that he’s on the right path.

It’s not going to propel the Rangers to contending status better than Jack Eichel cantering Artemi Panarin.

There’s no bargain shopping in the Stanley Cup finals. The other team has Crosby and Malkin, or Stamkos/Point, or Backstrom/Kuznetzov, or Bergeron/Krejci, you get the point.

The only way you beat that is by having your own McDavid/Draisaitl, MacKinnon/Kadri, Eichel/Lindholm.

And notice how Kadri stands out - he’s a good player, but he’s in that Backlund tier of player - they’re not the same, obviously - Kadri has more offense, Backs is better defensively, but they’re close enough. And we’ve been trying for 7 years to make it work with Backlund as the #2C, and it doesn’t because the league is too good.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:59 PM   #11996
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I think this team definitely needs an elite #1 centre. We haven't had a true #1C since Nieuwendyk.

This might be the only realistic chance to trade for one, and his value is potentially lower than it would otherwise be due to his injury. I think it's worth the risk given the stagnation we've seen in the Flames roster recently.
I mean, at this point what's the downside? At least it would renew interest and represent a major change (a bold move if you will).
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 02:04 PM   #11997
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
If not for the injury, sure, but teams are pretty risk averse about top 2 picks less than 12 months from being drafted.

I actually think Tkachuk as a centrepiece is pretty unique and may stand out to buffalo as something they perceive they need. Can/would any team offer a player (as part of a package) that is 23, and has already established themselves as a top line talent. Can't think of any examples that would include such a player.
Laine
Dubois
DeBrincat
Fox
Barzal

Not a long list, but there are a few.

CHI could be interesting. 2 of DeBrincat/Strome/Dach/Boqvist + futures

Depending on Toews status, it could make sense for CHI to push all in again for 2-5 years.

BUF could pin some hopes on Dahlin-Boqvist as a pair for a decade.

Although conferences as we know them may soon be dead, BUF might still be hesitant to send JE to NYR. But maybe Toews would be willing to go to NYR?

Toews + Zadorov for R Strome, Georgiev, Chytil, K Miller/Hajek/Lindgren?

Then CHI sends the Strome bros, Georgiev, and Boqvist + picks/prospects to BUF for Eichel.

Probably some picks/prospects involved in each to balance, but there are a lot of possibilities to make a sort of 3-way make sense.

NYR gets a big, tough, veteran LD, and 2 years of Toews, which comes off the books as they need room for Fox, Kakko, Kravstov raises.

CHI gets Eichel without substantially gutting their youth.

BUF gets a pu pu platter of mostly young assets. They are probably insistent on getting a Dach/Kakko out of the deal...the Strome bros. thing is just kind of a convenient novelty.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #11998
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Exactly this. There's a reason we haven't had a #1C in nearly 30 years: they're nearly impossible to come by.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:13 PM   #11999
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm for it, as long as the deal doesn't include any 2022 or 2023 1st rounders. This team still has pretty significant holes to fill and even with Eichel, I expect the Flames to take a step back for a couple of years.

There is also the possibility that Eichel misses most of next season and isn't 100% until the next season. Could you imagine trading for him and giving up a lottery pick if he needs surgery and makes little impact for a couple or seasons?

It would be such a Flames thing to do though.

If it is this year's 1st (Buffalo is certainly going to want a 1st rounder as part of the deal), then fine. But there isn't a lot of time get a deal done before the draft this year. The expansion draft is just days before the entry level draft and it is unlikely Buffalo is going to want a net gain of contracts that they have to protect before the expansion draft. They are not in a hurry and are probably more than happy to wait until after the draft.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:13 PM   #12000
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Schmaltz may be a fine centre, but I'd say no thanks if only for the Coyotes acquisition PTSD I'm beginning to suffer.
Closed Thread