Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM   #61
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
But does he care about the specific value of those assets?
Not likely - I just mean I think he'd understand that his perception currently is that of a top-tier goaltender this season, and there will be strong teams this summer looking for just that.

On the other hand if he starts a dozen games between now and season's end and gets lit up, these teams could potentially lose their appetite in wanting to acquire him specifically.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 03:49 PM   #62
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, but dgibbs/tyler durden does.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 03:51 PM   #63
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
If Markstrom wants to be traded, why does he care what the team gets for him?

Exactly. The more they trade for him, the worse off they are
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 03:54 PM   #64
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
In this case, yes, because if they aren't enough to meet Conroy's bottom line, he won't be traded. Seeing Vladar in the past few games, I'm pretty sure the team is not overly keen on going with a tandem of Vladar and Wolf, because that could sewer Wolf's confidence by asking too much of him in his first full season with the big team and not putting him in a position to succeed.

Last edited by Macindoc; 03-14-2024 at 03:56 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 04:06 PM   #65
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Exactly. The more they trade for him, the worse off they are
Lol I seriously doubt any goalie has thought on a 4D chess level such as this. That's utterly ridiculous. If they want to go elsewhere, they likely care first and foremost about just getting out, and then hopefully to a city that makes sense for their family.

Thinking about returns and how that sets up the team getting him is some farfetched nonsense.

Hopefully that was just tongue in cheek.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 04:14 PM   #66
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Lol I seriously doubt any goalie has thought on a 4D chess level such as this. That's utterly ridiculous. If they want to go elsewhere, they likely care first and foremost about just getting out, and then hopefully to a city that makes sense for their family.

Thinking about returns and how that sets up the team getting him is some farfetched nonsense.

Hopefully that was just tongue in cheek.

I don’t think it’s super far fetched for a player who wants to win in the next season or two, to favour having draft picks traded for him versus a superstar traded for him.

Lower on the list of things they’d be thinking about for sure…but your reaction is way over the top, like it’s not an offensive suggestion lol
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:33 PM   #67
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least we are going to find out what wolf is made of in the last number of games. He is going to face a lot of vulcanized rubber
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:38 PM   #68
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Wolf took some time to adapt to the AHL when he started in the pros. Just needs the minutes to figure the NHL game out.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:49 PM   #69
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt Wolf will come in and look great consistently. This is going to be a progression for Wolf. I look at him as the Flames only real 'blue chip' prospect - the type of prospect that one could call a franchise player, or a big game changer. However, name the best Canadian goalie in the last 20 years (I know he is American - example works here). Price would be that guy. Remember how bad he looked to start his career?

Wolf needs the next 2-3 seasons to be a Backup --> 1B --> 1A if things go well. He needs to be mentored, he needs sheltering, and he needs playing time. He has the potential to be one of the best goalies of his generation in the NHL for a decade or more. Let's not rush him and put huge expectations on him. Let him develop like Price, or even like Kiprusoff who was 26 when he finally became a bona fide starter in the NHL (though this was the perfect combination of development time and opportunity).

I really love how Conroy has SEEMED to prioritize defencemen right now. It will help Wolf develop (and defencemen take longer to develop usually than forwards).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote