Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-18-2019, 10:01 PM   #1321
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, I finally got around to playing Mass Effect: Andromeda and this is one boring ass game. The universe they created is super cool but it's just an absolute grind to get through. The sidequests are all repetitive as hell, too.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 10:31 PM   #1322
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I don't think so. You would have had to extend it before signing up for the $1 deal.

I only received three months of Ultimate since I was on a 3 months for $1 deal so mine ends at the end of August. I have so many games already that I think if I did extend it would be a waste of money.
I probably won’t pay for it either because there are only a few games on it I don’t already own. Maybe if I didn’t buy any new games for a year or so it would be worth getting but we know that won’t be happening.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #1323
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Man, I finally got around to playing Mass Effect: Andromeda and this is one boring ass game. The universe they created is super cool but it's just an absolute grind to get through. The sidequests are all repetitive as hell, too.

I had this intent to play Mass Effect Andromeda. I loved the first three games a lot. But the reviews got to me on Andromeda before I pulled the trigger and bought it because the game was such a mess.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #1324
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't find Andromeda boring, and I finished it, which for me is saying something. But I don't think it's necessarily worth playing unless you play a bunch of games and loved the ME trilogy. It's another Mass Effect game, and it's perfectly fine at being a Mass Effect game.

Maybe it's because I just made a big long post about superhero movies but the analogy that's coming to me is, Andromeda is to Mass Effect as Age of Ultron is to the Avengers movies.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #1325
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Andromeda was such a mixed bag for me. The combat, class system, and planet locations were all great, and the overall story was pretty good. But it just dragged on for far too long with way too many side quests that made you jump back and fourth between planets, and some of the writing and voice acting was downright cringe worthy. I really hope they take some of the systems used in that game and put a decent package around them whenever the ME series gets resurrected again
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #1326
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Netflix dropped a new trailer for the Witcher... looks interesting

oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #1327
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really, really hope it doesn't suck.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #1328
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Andromeda was such a mixed bag for me. The combat, class system, and planet locations were all great, and the overall story was pretty good. But it just dragged on for far too long with way too many side quests that made you jump back and fourth between planets, and some of the writing and voice acting was downright cringe worthy. I really hope they take some of the systems used in that game and put a decent package around them whenever the ME series gets resurrected again
Yeah I actually didn't think it was that bad however unlike other ME games I felt this one was more of a grind. I think the game was a victim of being fast tracked (supposedly made in only 18 months) as it's got a bit too much of that AC manufactured repetitiveness in it.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:24 PM   #1329
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quite liked Andromeda but it really didn’t feel very polished. Some tighter pacing to keep the story moving along at a good pace would have been better. The other three games were all about 25-35 hours for the main story, but I sunk 80+ into it before I had it wrapped up.

They could/should have streamlined it all into a nicely delivered and carefully crafted story, then let you go out and explore and rehab the worlds and etc after the main story was done. Leave the busywork for the post-endgame and make sure to maximize the impact of the real meaty bits.

I will say that if you are the kind of person that doesn’t need to fully explore every plot thread/side quest/collectible in an RPG, it would actually be so much better of a game. There’s too much to do for completionists and it detracts from the overall experience.

I’d probably still be playing it if the Multiplayer didn’t lag so damn bad. Idk what they didin between 3 and A but it’s like you’ve teleported to the early days of Xbox Live most of the time, rubberbanding everywhere.

Last edited by bigrangy; 07-22-2019 at 10:29 PM.
bigrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:26 PM   #1330
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Andromeda was a pretty decent game. However, as a "Mass effect game", it was quite lacking. My buddy and I agree that Andromeda would have fared better if it had tried to be a stand alone title or marketed itself as a mass effect side story. Instead, it cratered under the unfair expectations of the previous 3 that came before it. I kinda agree that Andromeda was a bit of a grind. The ability to skip was a huge welcome later in the game, but there were still some gaps that took way too long to travel to.

I might be wrong, but I think Andromeda was done by a team not even associated with the original trilogy?

The game was quite decent value at around $20-30 bucks. There's far worse options than Andromeda at that price IMO.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #1331
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
The game was quite decent value at around $20-30 bucks. There's far worse options than Andromeda at that price IMO.

The only reason I grabbed it was because Origin had it on sale for $5, at that point it was a no brainer. I definitely got my money's worth there, but I can see how anyone paying full price at launch were rightfully pissed
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #1332
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone played any of the Paradox games like Crusader Kings 2 or Hearts of Iron 4? I love them.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #1333
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Anyone played any of the Paradox games like Crusader Kings 2 or Hearts of Iron 4? I love them.
Countless hours on both as well as Stellaris and EU4. Fantastic games
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #1334
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Countless hours on both as well as Stellaris and EU4. Fantastic games
EU4 might be my new favourite but sweet Jebus is it tough.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #1335
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goodnight sweet prince monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #1336
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got Game Pass Ultimate, EA Pass and also do system share with my buddy. Between the 3 'sources' of games, I'm pretty much set for life with close to 450 games and growing weekly. I take care of the Game Pass and EA subscriptions. My buddy buys the digital games and we both get to play them on our own consoles. For anyone who doesn't do console share, I'd highly recommend it. It effectively combines game collections between you and your friend. He doesn't' even need Game Pass or EA pass. Just me subscribing to it shares everything between our 2 systems. Sometimes it's so hard to believe it works, it feels like we're scamming Microsoft.

The upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate was sooooo worth it when used in conjunction with your Gold account. Best deal ever. I loaded up my Gold account prior to activating GPU, and pretty much got GP for an extra ~18 months for a total of $1.

Unless Nintendo or Sony do something drastic, there's just no way either can compete with the sheer volume of games thrown at you with those subscription and especially console sharing services.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 07-26-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #1337
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
EU4 might be my new favourite but sweet Jebus is it tough.
I need to re-try Imperator Rome now as well since it's supposedly 10x better after a recent patch
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #1338
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I'm not done Shadowbringers yet, but it may be the best MMO expansion I've ever played. I didn't think anything would beat Wrath of the Lich King (Legion came very close!), but I've been blown away by this one so far.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:03 PM   #1339
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I need to re-try Imperator Rome now as well since it's supposedly 10x better after a recent patch
You see they're coming out with a prohibition-Era Chicago mob game?
Old 07-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #1340
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You see they're coming out with a prohibition-Era Chicago mob game?
Already have it on my steam wishlist!

That's something that's definitely up my alley. An old school gangster game published by Paradox (And supposedly they influenced development a lot as well) definitely sign me up!