Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #121
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Farrell and Sandler were both actors whose movies I loved growing up and can still say that they were some of my favourites. But as I've grown obviously their shtick doesn't resonate with me. However as bit characters I find them hilarious. I'd love to see them move to full time supporting and roles in movies that you aren't expecting, but their earlier works will forever be on my list for turn my brain off and laugh my ass off types of moments.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #122
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
Infernal Affairs > The Departed

Anyone else excited for CIFF? The full line up was released today. It took me some time to narrow down to my 5, I usually split a 20 pack with my gf, sister and bro. Disappointed that some films from TIFF didn't make it but it made my decision making easier. My list:
Climax
Cold War
Hummingbird Project
Behind The Curve
Shoplifters
I’m pretty intrigued by The Miseducation Of Cameron Post as well
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #123
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
2001: A Space Odyssey is being shown on IMAX at Chinook for one week only. I believe this is a must for everyone.
Dragged my wife and son to one of my favourite films expecting them to fall asleep during it. My wife almost did but said she liked it. My 9 year old son loved it. Proud dad moment!
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #124
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was your son excited to see what life was like 8 years before he was born?
Old 08-29-2018, 06:04 PM   #125
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

2001 was a crazy time for all of us.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #126
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the movie Braven with Jason Mamoa and I must say it was pretty good. Nothing special, just a good by the numbers action thriller.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:17 PM   #127
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there an automatic way to pick movies you want to see and have a schedule made up, or do you have to do it manually? There’s a few there’s a few is like to see but seems like multiple conflicts that need to be resolved.

I’d like to check out

Hummingbird Project
Science Fair
The Unicorn
We
The Sisters Brothers
AlphaGo
Ash is the Purest White
Under the Silver Lake
Virus Tropical
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #128
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is there an automatic way to pick movies you want to see and have a schedule made up, or do you have to do it manually? There’s a few there’s a few is like to see but seems like multiple conflicts that need to be resolved.

I’d like to check out

Hummingbird Project
Science Fair
The Unicorn
We
The Sisters Brothers
AlphaGo
Ash is the Purest White
Under the Silver Lake
Virus Tropical
I think you have to do it manually, I really want to see Hummingbird Project but also really want to see Climax which is playing at almost the same time... also frustrating that Climax only is getting one screening.

So far I have tickets for Shoplifters, Colette, and Cold War. I’d like to at least see two more during the festival.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:43 AM   #129
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Sisters Brothers is the film we want to watch.
Quote:
I read The Sister Brothers a couple of years back. Excited to see the movie, too.
The Sisters Brothers was my #4 but got vetoed by the gf

Quote:
Maybe if the Departed had some of Infernal Affairs actors in lead, but with the production values of Scorsese’s version. I guess I wasn’t crazy about the DiCaprio/Nicholson/Matt Damon combo.
I'll start by saying I am Chinese so I might be biased here. I grew up watching Hong Kong cinema.

The Departed had a longer running time, to better develop the characters. Scorsese did his thing; a good gangster movie.

IA is psychological, more stylized and story driven through dialogue. What stands out for me is the theme of good vs bad, the turmoil of double identity.

Quote:
Is there an automatic way to pick movies you want to see and have a schedule made up, or do you have to do it manually?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
I think you have to do it manually, I really want to see Hummingbird Project but also really want to see Climax which is playing at almost the same time... also frustrating that Climax only is getting one screening.
If you sign in, you can star your want to see films then the website will lay them out for you to see if you'll have conflicting showtimes.

Just a heads up, Banff Film Festival tickets are on sale now. Full film line up will be released on Oct. 5. My fingers are crossed for Free Solo but I have a feeling it won't be coming.
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sl888 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 07:12 AM   #130
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those interested Sunshine Records has a huge sale of all there Mongrel Media titles. Movies like The Lobster, Personal Shopper, It Follows, Amy , ext are around $30 each OR 2 for $12.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 12:47 AM   #131
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Searching is the most engaging movie I've seen in a couple years. Go see it.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #132
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I enjoyed Searching more than I expected to, decent movie for sure
Old 09-02-2018, 05:34 PM   #133
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I caught up with a bunch of movies recently. Some drive-by comments:

Beirut: Pretty great spy-thriller although fans of "Homeland" and John le Carre adaptations and will sense familiar beats.

Eighth Grade: It's been a long time since I was in eighth grade and my kids are still years away from being a teenager but this film seems like such an authentic portrayal of what life is like for teenagers today, immersed in smart devices and social media. I knew this was something special in the very first scene -- it's the kind of scene that we've seen many time before: we are watching the footage of somebody making a self-video but this particular delivery from the protagonist seem so extemporaneous. I thought it was a miraculous scene. Elsie Fisher deserves an Oscar nomination

Isle of Dogs: Two different movies - very entertaining during the first half of the movie when the narrative had a more discursive feel to it, and then got very boring the last half when plot machinations start kicking in as Anderson tries to resolve all the loose threads

Indignation: Easily the best of all the Philip Roth adaptations I've seen, mostly because of the electrifying two-hander set-piece between Lerman and Letts (spoilered below)

Spoiler!

The Killing of a Sacred Deer: Now added to my list of the best movies of 2017. Creepy as hell. Kidman is on some kind of incredible late-career renaissance. Hard to believe the menacing Keoghan is the same actor who played the meek George in Dunkirk

Mission: Impossible Fallout: Highly entertaining with all the great stunt sequences. My favourite of all the summer blockbusters for me.

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling: It's a must-see for die-hard Shandling fans. Definitely too long with too much focus on Shandling's minor works (like those extras in the DVD box set for the Larry Sanders show) for casual fans (like my wife).
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 01:26 AM   #134
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Blackkklansman. Wow powerful movie. Dead silence at the end.
Just saw it - terrific movie, maybe Spike's best?

I thought Adam Driver was really good. Harry Belafonte's monologue was mesmerizing. I loved the scene of people signing and dancing at The Red Lantern. Some beautiful shots and great soundtrack. The Prince song at the end was a great gift.

The last moments are heartbreaking.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:32 AM   #135
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

And speaking of movie reviews, The Village Voice will sadly be no more soon.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #136
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'll start by saying I am Chinese so I might be biased here. I grew up watching Hong Kong cinema.

The Departed had a longer running time, to better develop the characters. Scorsese did his thing; a good gangster movie.

IA is psychological, more stylized and story driven through dialogue. What stands out for me is the theme of good vs bad, the turmoil of double identity.
Infernal Affairs had the better ending. Added points because usually HK cinema has moral lessons where the good guy always wins and the bad guy gets a lesson and IA nicely avoided that.

plus, Eric Tsang and Anthony Wong man, love those two, love this scene.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #137
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

So I watched Justice League last night...

Complete waste of 2 hours. What the hell was that ####? The whole thing felt like a C-grade movie with terrible acting and terrible writing.

Only thing positive was The Flash. He was the only one that actually felt genuine.

Batman - wtf is wrong your grunting voice and why do you walk like you have a stick up your ass? I also can't tell if you're muscular or just fat. I don't like Ben Affleck as batman at all.

Superman was weird as well. Can't seem to place what was wrong but all the actors (except Ezra Miller as Flash) seemed like they were phoning it in with their line deliveries. Just collect the pay cheque and go home. No emotion.

Don't even get me started on the forced humour scenes. And then the CGI mess of the last half.

Terrible terrible movie.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #138
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
So I watched Justice League last night...

Complete waste of 2 hours. What the hell was that ####? The whole thing felt like a C-grade movie with terrible acting and terrible writing.

Only thing positive was The Flash. He was the only one that actually felt genuine.

Batman - wtf is wrong your grunting voice and why do you walk like you have a stick up your ass? I also can't tell if you're muscular or just fat. I don't like Ben Affleck as batman at all.

Superman was weird as well. Can't seem to place what was wrong but all the actors (except Ezra Miller as Flash) seemed like they were phoning it in with their line deliveries. Just collect the pay cheque and go home. No emotion.

Don't even get me started on the forced humour scenes. And then the CGI mess of the last half.

Terrible terrible movie.
But lots and lots of punching! If punching is your bag.....oh boy, saddle up!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #139
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw the new Jennifer Garner movie last night - Peppermint.

It's a familiar revenge theme and you could see the plot twist coming a mile away.

But it was fun. I enjoyed it. It reminded me of a cross between a Jason statham movie and Salt.

No effort to reveal triumphs of the human condition. Instead it's watching someone kick Butt and be real angry.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #140
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Blackkklansman.. wow..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post: