Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #21
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m very high on Mangiapane. I think he has the skillset to be a 20-30 goal scorer real soon. His game after the All Star break really flourished.

Pre All Star Weekend:

GP: 13
G: 0
A: 1
PTS: 1
+/-: -4
TOI: 9:53

Post All Star Weekend:
GP: 31
G: 8
A: 4
PTS: 12
+/-: +15
TOI: 10:45

Extrapolate those stats and the Flames could very well have their next break out star. Derek Ryan probably deserves some credit for his turnaround, but it looks like Eat Bread’s finally taken his dominant AHL game and has finally translated to The Show.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #22
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Dube can take a step forward and have an awesome preseason, I think Mangiapane - Ryan - Dube could be an awesome third line, albeit very small.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #23
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post

Post All Star Weekend:
GP: 31
G: 8
A: 4
PTS: 12
+/-: +15
TOI: 10:45
That'd be 21 goals for Mangiapane over the 82 game season, great potential stats for those minutes.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #24
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
That'd be 21 goals for Mangiapane over the 82 game season, great potential stats for those minutes.

Absolutely, we’re talking about 4th line minutes here. That 4th line was quite possibly the MVP of the Flames’ second half. They were outstanding.

Also, the quality of goals Mangiapane managed to score was probably equally impressive. One timers, dekes, garbage goals, shots from a distance. He could be a quality NHL sniper in the next few years.

I always remembered how good he looked in the Penticton tournament and how often I mistook him for Sam Bennett because he stood out so much. Hope he puts in a good summer and is ready to take the next step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #25
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly can't see him scoring 600 goals or 1300 points.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #26
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The kid can motor.

I originally thought he'd be a checking line energy player, but I now think his soft hands will follow him to the NHL. Good thinker as well.

Middle six winger to regular second line potential.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:57 AM   #27
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with those saying they see Cammy in his game; I can see it too. Has a really quick release in his snap shot and is able to do the one knee one-timer as well. I think he carves out a full-time spot on the 3rd line this year.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #28
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really see Cammy's shot with Mangiapane. However, I do think that - albeit mostly towards the end of the season and in the playoffs - that he is more dynamic than Cammy was. Not saying it will make him more or less successful, but I do think with his motor, his speed, and his ability to make plays, he will probably end up as a key cog of this team in the years to come.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #29
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know what it is but he’s never done anything in a game that stood out to me. He’s fast but that’s about it. Seems like more of a tweener to me than anything. Sure hope I get proven wrong though!
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #30
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
I don’t know what it is but he’s never done anything in a game that stood out to me. He’s fast but that’s about it. Seems like more of a tweener to me than anything. Sure hope I get proven wrong though!
Did you not see his goal in Game 1 vs Colorado ? That was a confident play.

Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #31
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Id love to see tree lock him up for 4 years at 1.2
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #32
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Have you seen his shot?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #33
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
What strikes me about Mangiapane is his vastly improved play throughout the season all over the ice. Defensively, his game has seen significant growth. I was surprised when Peters started keeping him in the lineup as I didn't think that he was strong enough defensively for a bottom 6 role. What really impressed me was his play down the stretch and into the playoffs where he suddenly found the confidence to start holding onto pucks longer and have more patience with his shot. He definitely started showing a lot more creativity, and this leads me to believe that he could very well pan out as a top 6 option.

I think it will be a revolving door of wingers and line combinations again this year - maybe especially so given that I think Frolik will eventually get traded to free up cap space this off-season, and Neal being dealt. You have Czarnik, Mangiapane, Dube, Bennett and maybe even Jankowski (assuming Lindholm is a center) as wingers moving around the lineup around established pairs.

Who are the established pairs?

Gaudreau - Monahan
Tkachuk - Lindholm

If Lindholm stays as the top-line RW, I would actually like to see a 2nd line of Tkachuk - Bennett - Mangiapane for a stretch and finally close the book on the whole "Is Bennett a centre or a winger", as I feel that Bennett under Gulutzan was not properly utilized or developed. Maybe a stretch of 30 games or so.

Either way, I do think that Mangiapane should be in that conversation to get a long look as a top 6 winger, but perhaps ease him in as a third line winger on either side and see how he responds.
I agree I would like to try Bennett at C one more go before giving up on that idea but I would put Lindholm on his wing to provide some support:

Gaudreau-Monahan-
Tkachuk-Bennett-Lindholm

Trade Brodie for a top 6 RWer.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #34
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Have you seen his shot?

It’s decent, nothing that the majority of NHL’ers can’t do when given the time and space that he had. I’m not trying to slag him, I hope he proves me wrong, I just don’t see a top 6 player in him that’s all.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #35
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It’s decent, nothing that the majority of NHL’ers can’t do when given the time and space that he had. I’m not trying to slag him, I hope he proves me wrong, I just don’t see a top 6 player in him that’s all.
That's fair, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but everything about Mangiapane's development since getting drafted has pointed towards him becoming a top 6 NHLer.

He will never be a star, but it is quite reasonable that given an opportunity he could provide second line caliber production as early as next season.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #36
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think Mangiapane has potential to be a decent secondary scorer, hopefully a guy who can drive play offensively in a middle-6 slot. I could see him chipping in 40 points or so if he finds chemistry for a whole season.

But I do have to laugh at the double standard in terms of production between him and Bennett, who is a few months younger.
  • Mangiapane scores at a 24 point pace, including a segment down the stretch where he scored at a 31 point pace: "Is he a potential top-6 forward?"
  • Bennett scores at a 31 point pace for the whole season: "He is what he is, just a bottom-6 grinder."

Depending how we split up the top 5 guys, I could see them either forming 2/3rds of a pretty effective 3rd line, or each being the 3rd guy on a line. I'd like to see a Mangiapane-Ryan-Bennett line tried as that's probably the closest thing we can recreate to the 4th line last year.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:35 PM   #37
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hardest worker on the team? Check.
Never shies away from contact? Check.
Best possession forward on the team? Check.
Best goalscorer on the team? Check.
Best undrafted-to-star success story on the team? Check.

I think the next step in Andrew Mangiapane's career should be "Captain of the Calgary Flames". He's the logical successor to Mark Giordano.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2021, 10:53 PM   #38
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Well, he’s currently on pace for like 60 goals so I’d say his upside is pretty sweet
Old 11-20-2021, 10:59 PM   #39
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Did you really need to bump a 2 year old thread...

I read a post saying Tre should sign him for 4 years at $1.2 million and thought poster was crazy.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2021, 11:21 PM   #40
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Sometimes it's entertaining and instructive to see past comments.

I had tempered, but hopeful expectations and am delighted to see the player exceed them.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post: