Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for in the federal election?
Conservatives 196 54.29%
Liberals 74 20.50%
NDP 32 8.86%
Green 13 3.60%
PPC 3 0.83%
Bloc Quebecois 1 0.28%
Rhino 11 3.05%
Other 9 2.49%
Not voting 22 6.09%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #101
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I can't even figure out what I'm voting for. I don't feel that any of the parties have provided me with their future vision for Canada. Just their list of things they will say "no" too.

I guess my vote boils down to an indication of my stance on Black Face circa 2002?
I mean there's also SNC which is an actual thing of potential legislative consequence.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #102
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I mean there's also SNC which is an actual thing of potential legislative consequence.
Absolutely, I was mostly just joking. I voted Liberal last election. I decided I could not vote for JT because of broken election promises (electoral reform) and general corruption/integrity issues.

I also can't vote for someone who doesn't treat various minority groups as equal human beings, so the Conservatives were out.

I went with what I thought was the next best option. For the reasons Kermitology pointed out, that was a difficult exercise. I very nearly just went with a spoiled ballot.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #103
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think the whole SNC corruption scandal is a lot bigger than people think.

There is growing evidence that under the table dealings in the construction industry is costing our country quite a bit in tax revenue while also making it hard for businesses that are trying to follow the law win bids. Hard to compete against companies who do all cash deals or under the table hand outs.

In 2013 the underground economy in Canada totaled $45 billion, with up to 30% of that coming from the construction industry.

Companies like SNC are very much part of the problem.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #104
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

OK am I crazy but I thought results didn't start getting broadcasted until all the polls were closed?

Or is it just polls in your own region?
flames_fan_down_under is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #105
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I like the Conservative running in my riding, but I also like the Liberal candidate. In speaking with both of them, I found them both pleasant people and the incumbent has been a decent representative.
What riding is this? Narnia?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #106
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not voting. I've been away from Calgary for almost a decade now and was too lazy to fill out the paperwork for a mail ballot.

If I was casting a vote it would be for the Conservatives. Usually it takes 2-3 terms for a government to become corrupt but somehow the Liberals did it in 1. Time for them to spend time in opposition again.

TLDR: If Kent Hehr somehow wins by 1 you can blame me.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #107
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Absolutely, I was mostly just joking.
You cheeky bastard.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #108
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I'm not voting. I've been away from Calgary for almost a decade now and was too lazy to fill out the paperwork for an online ballot.

If I was casting a vote it would be for the Conservatives. Usually it takes 2-3 terms for a government to become corrupt but somehow the Liberals did it in 1. Time for them to spend time in opposition again.

I was pretty annoyed at how hard it was to get set up to do a mail in ballot compared to the Alberta election. Was massive pain to take 2 days off work to come home to vote
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #109
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not voting. I've been away from Calgary for almost a decade now and was too lazy to fill out the paperwork for a mail ballot.

I mean I love the vote against Kent Hehr part and this isn't a personal shot at you, but shouldn't living away from the country for 10 years disqualify you from voting? Seems like it should, the inherent agreement is that if you pay taxes in a state you get a say on the governance. And again that's not a shot at you lord knows I'd be in Sydney if I could, actually applied to a couple jobs there recently.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #110
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not voting. I dislike all of the options.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #111
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

To anyone involved with the CPC, when the Liberals win tonight here is some advice for the next election.

1) Pick a leader without any SSM or abortion baggage, it's so easy to run a fear campaign against that and people fall for it every single time.
2) Pick a woman, the majority of the population is female and it really is time. There are a few obvious good candidates to choose from, personally I like Raitt.
3) Don't run on tax and service cuts, people want their cake and wan't someone else to pay for it.
4) Stop sending out those bloody 10%ers, nobody reads them except hardcore partisans and you aren't going to change their vote.

Run on a platform of fisccal sanity. No tax cuts until the books are in order, controlled spending increases, basically stop digging the hole.

You're welcome.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #112
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this the elections game thread or the other one?
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #113
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiled my ballot. I cannot in good conscious vote for any party when not one appeals to me.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #114
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Same here, total cost was $35 too. Lots of folks did it though. I've been on the Reform side, then the Cons, but I'd be switching to the Red team for this election. Scheer is not relatable to me. My riding is in the NW of Calgary though, so if Rob Anders can win for years, its not switching from the Cons anytime soon.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #115
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
To anyone involved with the CPC, when the Liberals win tonight here is some advice for the next election.

1) Pick a leader without any SSM or abortion baggage, it's so easy to run a fear campaign against that and people fall for it every single time.
2) Pick a woman, the majority of the population is female and it really is time. There are a few obvious good candidates to choose from, personally I like Raitt.
3) Don't run on tax and service cuts, people want their cake and wan't someone else to pay for it.
4) Stop sending out those bloody 10%ers, nobody reads them except hardcore partisans and you aren't going to change their vote.

Run on a platform of fisccal sanity. No tax cuts until the books are in order, controlled spending increases, basically stop digging the hole.

You're welcome.
No kidding. I've talked to a ton of people that just won't vote for Scheer despite being involved in O&G. The conservatives could spend a good portion of the campaign trying to explain away how comments from 2005 belong there but it would just be easier to have someone who doesn't have that baggage. Also it's a lot harder for Liberals to launch character assassinations when your candidate is a woman or a minority.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #116
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the point of spoiling you ballot, I'm honestly curious. If you don't want to vote for anyone just don't vote instead of wasting your time?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #117
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted Conservatives because Sheer appears to be the most intelligent from the bunch. I'd likely vote Liberal if it weren't Trudeau. The party I think is needed the most right now is NDP as they need to regulate corporate greed. So there's a lot of reasons to side with each party, but Conservative in this case for me because I want a smarter guy in the throne. Plus he comes across as the most authentic and less about identity politics than the other two.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #118
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't realize that George Canyon was running for MP out east. That explains why he isn't singing at the Dome this year.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #119
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Flames anthem news, George Canyon is a slight favourite to win his riding of Central Nova: http://338canada.com/districts/12002e.htm

The riding is considered a toss-up. With only 15 votes counted, Canyon has 1 vote. The Liberals and Green have 7 each.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:50 PM   #120
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Green representative has more votes than George Canyon so far

Only 15 votes counted so far though
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: