Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #81
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Come on man.... those stats are pretty ugly but he's played 1 2/3 games lol.
You are right, too small of sample size.

Let's look at the last 3 seasons aggregate. Looking at all goalies who've played 50+ games over the last 3 seasons:

Lack (57GP) : 2.79GGA (44/52) .900 SV% (51/52)
Old 11-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #82
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
... I hope Gillies turns out great. But he consistently gets more opportunities from the organization despite Rittich putting up better numbers over a prolonged period. That deserves to be questioned.
Both Gillies and Rittich have played one game in the NHL. Let's not exaggerate things here: it seems to me that there are a few posters with very strong feelings about David Rittich, and this is prompting some to craft this narrative about how badly he is being slighted by the organisation. I think the truth of the matter is likely that the Flames like both goalies, and they are doing their best to develop both under non-ideal conditions of having them both in the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 11-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #83
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
You are right, too small of sample size.

Let's look at the last 3 seasons aggregate. Looking at all goalies who've played 50+ games over the last 3 seasons:

Lack (57GP) : 2.79GGA (44/52) .900 SV% (51/52)
I understand where you're coming from, but I think a better way of looking at an aggregate that includes 2 depressing seasons and 1 solid one is to look at season by season performance individually. It's quite well documented that he was unhappy in Carolina and not playing under Marcoux the way he was used to, so I'd like to think that Carolina Eddie Lack is an anomaly:

2nd Last w/VAN: 2.41, .912
Last w/ VAN: 2.45, .921
CAR year 1: 2.81, .901
CAR year 2: 2.64, .902
Old 11-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #84
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Making homemade spicy nachos for this one, I am sure I will regret this later. We should win this game, I am shocked Detroit has the record they do, I thought they would be Coyotes bad.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #85
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
With how your original post was framed, there was no indication whatsoever as to your measure of Lack's sense of confidence. Of course, it is anecdotal when not couched in a clearly defined and transparent set of parameters.
I wasn't measuring Lack's sense of confidence. I was measuring my confidence in Lack. How could I know what Lack is feeling? I can only know how I feel about his play. And when I sniff the numbers, I'm not confident.

Quote:
After one full game a two periods of work? It doesn't look like anything. There are any number of reasons to explain two individual performances, and Lack's marginal statistics do not in any way obviously correlate to his own self awareness or perception. Results don't necessarily have anything to do with a player's confidence—how can any of us know about how confident Lack feels today without having this discussion with him?
Again, I'm not using Lack's numbers as a measure of his psyche, and never implied that I was. You took a turn of phrase "reeks confidence" and misinterpreted it. The phrase implies how I feel about someone else, not how they feel about themselves. I'm the one doing the smelling, so to speak.

Quote:
Okay? I am not sure what that has to do with Lack's confidence, except I would imagine he is more confident playing the position the way he has had success doing so in the past.
This doesn't have to do with Lack's confidence in himself, which you are so hung up on and I'm not trying to discuss. This is again a measure of how others are feeling about him. The Flames felt they needed to change his playing style, suggesting they were not confident in the way he was playing in Carolina. Nothing to do with Lack's personal feelings of himself.

Quote:
Look, when a poster talks about persona, or character, or emotive traits I think it is fair to say that readers will rightly interpret all of this as anecdotal. As far as I am concerned, these sorts of arm-chair psychoanalysis are completely invalid, and yes, under these conditions qualify as "nonsense."
I guess I'll just say one more time, that I never suggested how Lack felt about himself or that I was attempting 'arm-chair psychoanalysis'.

I feel attacked as a poster, as you didn't take the time to even properly comprehend what I'd written before making a series* of assumptions about me and what I wrote. That's twice, recently, that you've responded to me as such. I get that you have different viewpoints than me, but please try to respond to the post, and not to me as a user that you don't seem to like.

edit: series not serious*

Last edited by thymebalm; 11-15-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #86
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Making homemade spicy nachos for this one, I am sure I will regret this later. We should win this game, I am shocked Detroit has the record they do, I thought they would be Coyotes bad.
This.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #87
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I understand where you're coming from, but I think a better way of looking at an aggregate that includes 2 depressing seasons and 1 solid one is to look at season by season performance individually. It's quite well documented that he was unhappy in Carolina and not playing under Marcoux the way he was used to, so I'd like to think that Carolina Eddie Lack is an anomaly:

2nd Last w/VAN: 2.41, .912
Last w/ VAN: 2.45, .921
CAR year 1: 2.81, .901
CAR year 2: 2.64, .902
It's a nice happy thought that half of Eddie's pro career is an aberration or anomaly, and that part of his career furthest from the present is a more accurate representation of where he is as a goalie today...but it takes some mental gymnastics to get there.

We can do all goalies with 100 starts over the course of Eddies career and compare him in that manner too.

Since Lack joined the NHL:

2.57GGA (29/49), .910 SV% (39/49).

That's as rosy as I can make the numbers, and it's still not great. I will say again, I think the Flames and their coaches and management poured over all the video and felt confident enough that they could get Eddie back to the level he was playing at in Vancouver. If there is hope to be had, its in the hard work of the people who decided this was the right move to make.

Do I think he could be as good as he was in Vancouver as the Flames backup? I do. Will that happen? We'll see.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #88
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can understand the reservations about Lack, he was terribad in Carolina. However he was great in Vancouver so I guess it depends on which EL shows up.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #89
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
It's a nice happy thought that half of Eddie's pro career is an aberration or anomaly, and that part of his career furthest from the present is a more accurate representation of where he is as a goalie today...but it takes some mental gymnastics to get there.

We can do all goalies with 100 starts over the course of Eddies career and compare him in that manner too.

Since Lack joined the NHL:

2.57GGA (29/49), .910 SV% (39/49).

That's as rosy as I can make the numbers, and it's still not great. I will say again, I think the Flames and their coaches and management poured over all the video and felt confident enough that they could get Eddie back to the level he was playing at in Vancouver. If there is hope to be had, its in the hard work of the people who decided this was the right move to make.

Do I think he could be as good as he was in Vancouver as the Flames backup? I do. Will that happen? We'll see.
The one thing with Carolina that keeps creeping up to me is that they don't give up a ton of shots, but give up an abnormal amount in High Danger Areas.

For example.

Carolina Last Year

Compared to Calgary this year who give up a ton of shots, but alot seem to be from outside the hashmarks, and very little in the blue paint.

Calgary This Year

Means that Carolina goalies might have artificially deflated save percentages since the team doesn't give up many shots, but when they do they tend to be right in the slot.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #90
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The one thing with Carolina that keeps creeping up to me is that they don't give up a ton of shots, but give up an abnormal amount in High Danger Areas.

For example.

Carolina Last Year

Compared to Calgary this year who give up a ton of shots, but alot seem to be from outside the hashmarks, and very little in the blue paint.

Calgary This Year

Means that Carolina goalies might have artificially deflated save percentages since the team doesn't give up many shots, but when they do they tend to be right in the slot.
That's interesting! Really shows the defensive differences between the two squads.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #91
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why don't we give Lack more than 1.67 games in a Flames jersey before we judge him (he might have played in the 6-0 thumping at the hands of OTT, thankfully I couldn't watch that one so I can't recall). He lost his first start but in relief last game he did what he needed to in order to preserve the win (against the same team he lost to no less).

Everything before his time as a Flame doesn't matter, see what he can do for us and judge him on that. Smith is hurt so we have to give him a shot.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #92
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Jagr just posted a video looking at the photos of Brett Hull, Fedorov (I think), and Gordie Howe hanging on a wall at Joe Louis. He's like 48 games away from breaking Howe's record for most games of all time!
Old 11-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #93
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

OK, I need some help from the out of towners.

I have Shaw, live in Calgary (okotoks) and have my shaw freerange tv on my iphone.

I'm currently in a hotel in Montreal.

Will my freerange work, or is it going to be blacked out for some reason? I tried to watch the game the other night when I was in Val D'or, and it was blacked out, which I thought was weird. I've also tried to watch the game while I was in my house in Okotoks, and it was blacked out as well. WTF.

Is it ever NOT blacked out? Can I find it on local TV? I can't figure out how to order a hamburger en francais let alone read a cable guide.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #94
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand why you would feel more comfortable with a goalie who has played a grand total of one NHL game. I understand why some are not especially confident in Eddie Lack, but he is a bona fide NHL goalie with a winning record through over 100 NHL starts.
I agree. He's played twice, both times against a great St. Louis team, and one time with no warm up. I'm not a huge beliver in Lack as a starter, but he's proven he can come in and play some minutes and not kill your team.

I don't mind these situations as I think it forces the team to clean things up defensively. Time will tell.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #95
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post

I have Shaw, live in Calgary (okotoks) and have my shaw freerange tv on my iphone.

Will my freerange work, or is it going to be blacked out for some reason? I tried to watch the game the other night when I was in Val D'or, and it was blacked out, which I thought was weird. I've also tried to watch the game while I was in my house in Okotoks, and it was blacked out as well. WTF.

Is it ever NOT blacked out? Can I find it on local TV? I can't figure out how to order a hamburger en francais let alone read a cable guide.

Can anyone enlighten me?
I believe this game is on Sportsnet so you should get it on the local tv.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #96
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #97
HamptonIce
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am going tonight! 21/30 away rinks to see OUR team play. 9 left to compete that bucket list. Looking forward to checking out the new arena.

Last edited by HamptonIce; 11-15-2017 at 04:21 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HamptonIce For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #98
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post

Can anyone enlighten me?
Sportsnet's iPhone app contains a TV icon, which accesses Sportsnet Now. You login using the same credentials your TV repairman gave you when they first connected your TV box and can then watch all of their channels from your phone, no blackouts apply whatsoever.

Works really well for watching the Flames games while I'm on the road if the hotel I'm in doesn't have the SN channel the game happens to be on.
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 04:23 PM   #99
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Really want to see the Flames offense keep pouring it on and 11-7 looks so much better 10-8. 6-4 Flames to keep us glued to our couches. Jagr gets 2!

GO FLAMES GO!
Old 11-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #100
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't wait to see what GIF StrykerSteve comes up with after tonight's win. It's probably going to be a pet running out of the closet with the fist pump.
Closed Thread

Tags
go flams go , i want pizza , respect da' legend bubba , win