Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default tell me about ipod touch's...

There must be a thread already, so feel free to direct me.

I am possibly interested in acquiring one of these guys. Never owned an ipod before, so i was hoping someone could tell me about their relative merit, especially versus a classic model. Basically just want something with a lot of storage, however the touch's apps are drawing me in.
The apps are flashy, but im not really sure if they will enhance my life in any signifigant way.

So basically my dillema is storage against a really cool toy. Please enlighten me. I have a fairly significant library of music on itunes (about 60 GB's) but most of it i wouldnt feel the need to include in my portable device.

Thanks
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozwimp View Post
There must be a thread already, so feel free to direct me.

I am possibly interested in acquiring one of these guys. Never owned an ipod before, so i was hoping someone could tell me about their relative merit, especially versus a classic model. Basically just want something with a lot of storage, however the touch's apps are drawing me in.
The apps are flashy, but im not really sure if they will enhance my life in any signifigant way.

So basically my dillema is storage against a really cool toy. Please enlighten me. I have a fairly significant library of music on itunes (about 60 GB's) but most of it i wouldnt feel the need to include in my portable device.

Thanks
The 32 gig iPod Touch holds a lot of music, more than you are likely to need or want on the go. I have thousands of songs on mine, plus roughly 20 episodes of an hour long TV show, plus podcasts and about a dozen apps and I still have 5 gig free.

A ton of the apps are crap, and the signal to noise ratio for finding great apps is all over the map. That said, once you find a decent core set of utilities, info apps, etc, its very handy. The lack of demos for the pay apps can be really frustrating - it sucks pruning your app collection when you have an app you'll never use again but paid money for.

If you can hold off just a little longer, see if the Touch gets any major hardware revamps in the coming months - lots of rumors swirling about the new iPhone hardware, and Apple may not keep parity between the Touch and the iPhone, but I believe they will keep it close to avoid splintering the app store market.

Being able to buy music directly on the touch can be a really nice way of treating yourself on a friday afternoon stuck in an otherwise quiet office.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks alot. The main reason i've held of this long is that i hate itunes, and i suppose sub-consciously am avoiding being conformist (and thus am superiour to my peers) but I am starting to believe it may have its uses. Though i believe in supporting artists, i am a heavy torrenter, so i dont need the device at all to improve my ability to access music.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Bibtin Tex
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks alot. The main reason i've held of this long is that i hate itunes, and i suppose sub-consciously am avoiding being conformist (and thus am inferior to my peers) but I am starting to believe it may have its uses. Though i believe in supporting artists, i am a heavy torrenter, so i dont need the device at all to improve my ability to access music.
fix'd

god-damn rebel
Bibtin Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Haha, hopefully you caught my attempt at humor. Didnt mean to come off pretentious.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being a long time apple user, it blows my effing mind when people say they won't confirm by using an Apple product. It wasn't so long ago that you could only buy one in 2 places in this city.

Once you get a touch, you'll just want an iPhone. Skip the middle man.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Being a long time apple user, it blows my effing mind when people say they won't confirm by using an Apple product. It wasn't so long ago that you could only buy one in 2 places in this city.

Once you get a touch, you'll just want an iPhone. Skip the middle man.
The iPod Touch has been called "training wheels for an iPhone", and thats not far from the truth.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
JohnnyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
The 32 gig iPod Touch holds a lot of music, more than you are likely to need or want on the go. I have thousands of songs on mine, plus roughly 20 episodes of an hour long TV show, plus podcasts and about a dozen apps and I still have 5 gig free.

A ton of the apps are crap, and the signal to noise ratio for finding great apps is all over the map. That said, once you find a decent core set of utilities, info apps, etc, its very handy. The lack of demos for the pay apps can be really frustrating - it sucks pruning your app collection when you have an app you'll never use again but paid money for.

If you can hold off just a little longer, see if the Touch gets any major hardware revamps in the coming months - lots of rumors swirling about the new iPhone hardware, and Apple may not keep parity between the Touch and the iPhone, but I believe they will keep it close to avoid splintering the app store market.

Being able to buy music directly on the touch can be a really nice way of treating yourself on a friday afternoon stuck in an otherwise quiet office.
You don't need demo's when you can get any app you want for free using the internet thingy.
JohnnyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
The iPod Touch has been called "training wheels for an iPhone", and thats not far from the truth.
Yup. You'll just have to sell it in the Buy Sell Forum to a guy like MattyC and then you'll have to arrange to meet and he'll be standing on the wrong corner and then you'll have to try and figure out which of the people standing around could be him and then you'll have to awkwardly ask people if they're from CP.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
User Name
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Whatever you do, do NOT get one in the next week. Apple is set to announce a new iphone at 32gigs, where they might announce at 64gig touch. If they dont do it then, it'll be refreshed in sept more than likely...

if you aren't desparate for one, i'd wait and see what the new one brings... although waiting for the "newest" tech is a bit of a never ending game.
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

One word

Light sabre

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
One word

Light sabre
It is one word!

When is the larger format coming out? I've been waiting forever, I've got a 30GB iPod thats totally full and dont want to buy something that will be full by day 1.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumor is next week or possibly September.

Lots of rumors floating around. Nothing announced yet.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks alot. The main reason i've held of this long is that i hate itunes, and i suppose sub-consciously am avoiding being conformist (and thus am superiour to my peers) but I am starting to believe it may have its uses. Though i believe in supporting artists, i am a heavy torrenter, so i dont need the device at all to improve my ability to access music.
Totally

But seriously, the ipod touch is a very cool product. If you in fact a heavy torrenter I think you'll really like it. It's a great way to take tv shows and movies on the go (just get yourself a good video converter).

As it was said before, if you are looking for a cell phone upgrade in the next 6 months, I would strongly recommend looking at an iPhone. My wife has a touch and she's really happy with it, but it is a little gimped compared to the iphone. For instance, she likes using the maps feature, but unless you're in a wifi hotspot, it's useless. Using the calendar is also cool because it syncs with my iphone calendar, our home calendar and my work calendar. Problem is if she isn't hooked into a wireless connection her calendar won't get updates until she finds one.

That all being said if you aren't in the market for a new phone then by all means, the ipod touch is solid. Surprisingly fun games, good unit converters, guitar tuners (an awesome tuner actually), grocery list apps, golf score cards and ebook readers can all be used sans internet connection. If you are on wifi you can enjoy things like weather updates, sports updates, youtube, google earth, skype, remoting to other computers and internet radio. That's really just a run down of my own phone, so while those may not interest you at all, I'm sure you could find a wealth of crap to keep you occupied.

Don't buy anything until at least next week. There's a developers conference with a keynote on Tuesday where there is strong rumours of a new iphone ... possiblity of a new touch as well.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #15
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just a note, the iPod Touch (version 2) has a faster graphics processor in it (possibly faster hardware in general) then the iPhone. So if you want to play games, especially Sims 3 or Command & Conquer, I'd recommend the Touch. The difference isn't game breaking though, so don't think you'll lose out...

I'm not a huge fan of the iPhone since it uses the touch screen to do typing (drives me batty). If they built one with a slide out hardware keyboard, I'd be all over it like a fat kid on gramma's pie.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

July 17th is the date that I'm hearing for a new iPhone. But expect WWDC (the conference next week that I was supposed to go to, but management dropped the ball) to be a focus on when 3.0 firmware is released.. and Snow Leopard.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #17
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on your post I would just save a whole bunch of money and get an Ipod classic (save even more by getting a refurbished one off Apple's website). Way more capacity, and about a 3rd of the price. I kind of see the Ipod touch as a strange option between the classic and the iphone, neither here nor there. If you need a phone get the iphone, but if you're more or less gonna be organizing your music and maybe a few videos, I think the classic is way better value. Its nice not to have to worry about running out of space, which judging by your collection, you'd have to be shifting things on and off the device all the time if you got a touch.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #18
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
Whatever you do, do NOT get one in the next week. Apple is set to announce a new iphone at 32gigs, where they might announce at 64gig touch. If they dont do it then, it'll be refreshed in sept more than likely...

if you aren't desparate for one, i'd wait and see what the new one brings... although waiting for the "newest" tech is a bit of a never ending game.
Is this confirmed?

I want to get the 32 gig Itouch as well, but if there is a 64gig coming out, I'll wait because the price of the 32gig will more than likely drop.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #19
User Name
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Is this confirmed?

I want to get the 32 gig Itouch as well, but if there is a 64gig coming out, I'll wait because the price of the 32gig will more than likely drop.

Nope, but its 99% certain it'll happen, just when is the question. The iPhone has spot for 1 memory stick, and its going to 32gig (should be confirmed next monday)... the touch has 2 spots (not phone gear in it) so it will have 64gigs at some point, just not sure when they will refresh the line.

Typically they refresh the iPod line in sept... but the touch may be a bit different since its so closley linked to the iPHone.
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two things: Coverflow and photo browsing. Full of awesomeness on the Touch, especially if you've taken the time to put the album art on your albums.

The Touch is so intuitive, it is revolutionary. And its nice that it doesn't have moving parts like the Classic, so you can go jogging with it also. Lighter too.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote