Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default MLB offseason 2019

Wonder what its like to turn away from 300 million dollars guaranteed?

Quote:
Bryce Harper rejected the Washington Nationals' offer of approximately $300 million over 10 years late last season, according to multiple reports.

Washington tried to lock up Harper with one of the richest deals in baseball history before he became a free agent, but he opted to test the market. According to reports, the Nats' offer is now off the table, but the team is still open to a deal.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...00m-offer-nats
Old 11-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I guess we find out if the Yankees dare offer. They have Judge Stanton and Hicks already. Would they dare try to fit in Harper
Old 11-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #3
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I guess we find out if the Yankees dare offer. They have Judge Stanton and Hicks already. Would they dare try to fit in Harper
They have said they are not in on Harper

Machado is a different story
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #4
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was shocked to read TSN's article on their top 50 list of FAs, and they had Machado at #1 over Harper (primarily due to position scarcity). They had him going to the Yanks and Harper going to the Phillies. Personally I wouldn't care about position scarcity if I were NY, I'd still go for the generation talent of Harper for the same rough price as his bat is something else. Machado is the type of guy who'd call it a night the second that contract is signed.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Mookie Betts wins AL MVP.....well deserved as the guy is as complete a ball player as there is in the game.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Yelich wins NL MVP....guy kind f came out of nowhere to do this. Pretty cool for Brewers fans.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yankees get Paxton. Send top prospect Scheffield the other way along with others.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a pretty heavy price the Yanks paid. Not to say it was a bad deal, but Seattle did well as you tend to see reluctance to give up top prospects anymore (at least over the last couple years). I'm suddenly not opposed to dealing Stroman as this off-seasons' precedent has now been set high.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pretty big trade of one of the best hitters in the NL (perhaps even all MLB) in Paul Goldschmidt.

Quote:
ST. LOUIS -- The Cardinals' search for an impact bat led them to the desert, where they plucked perennial All-Star first baseman Paul Goldschmidt from the D-backs for a package that cost them former top prospects Carson Kelly and Luke Weaver. The Cardinals also sent Minor League infielder Andy Young and their compensation pick in Round B of the 2019 MLB Draft to Arizona to complete the deal Wednesday.
https://www.mlb.com/news/paul-goldsc...ls/c-301503636
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #10
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

this trade makes me sad, there were rumors that the Cardinals were interested in Donaldson at this time last year and the package would have probably been similar.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #11
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Certainly this trade strongly indicates Harper is going to the Dodgers.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1076233158478233601
Old 12-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #12
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't know why any team would want Puig on their roster. I get irritated by his arrogance as a fan - imagine what it feels like to be a teammate. He's a one dimensional player (hitting), and when things don't go well he sulks. Kemp I can understand. Harper on the team should be good to watch. MLB is probably happy to have a NYY/LAD rivalry.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #13
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Padres in talks for Stroman. If the Jays deal a pitcher in his prime for a teams non-premier prospects, Atkins/Shapiro will have lost me on their vision. So far mostly everything they've done has been mediocre and ill timed, and they need to maximize their return in trades. I fully on board with dealing away anyone on the team at this point, but at the right cost. Hard to believe the Padres think he's only worth their 7/8 best prospects and that Atkins/Shapiro think that highly of those guys for a guy who can be elite.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:16 AM   #14
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im starting to wonder if Atkins is the Chiarelli of the Baseball world.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #15
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they were going to go full blown rebuild they should’ve done it a year ago where some of these players had value. They dicked around with a cheap re-tooling effort which was always fools gold. The only thing remotely interesting about the Jays next year is Vlad Jr and that’s not because of this management team. Stroman needs to go tho, no one is gonna give the Jays what they want for him but they can’t keep him.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #16
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
If they were going to go full blown rebuild they should’ve done it a year ago where some of these players had value. They dicked around with a cheap re-tooling effort which was always fools gold. The only thing remotely interesting about the Jays next year is Vlad Jr and that’s not because of this management team. Stroman needs to go tho, no one is gonna give the Jays what they want for him but they can’t keep him.

I disagree with the last part. He's a great trade chip (pitchers always are). It's not an addition by subtraction with him. If the Jays deal him they must get solid value for him and not get suckered in by making a fair trade to some GM goading them. Stroman has gotten a big head the past couple seasons, which has been aggravating but he's worth quite a lot from what he's shown in seasons past - Atkins has to nail this one.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #17
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Two years ago actually . It could have been a 4 year rebuild if they did it then, with the team entering the final year of a rebuild cycle this and next season with the Martin and Tulo contracts coming off the books

Instead they tried to suck a bit more money out of the fanbase and we are back to the typical Roger team now
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #18
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Padres in talks for Stroman. If the Jays deal a pitcher in his prime for a teams non-premier prospects, Atkins/Shapiro will have lost me on their vision. So far mostly everything they've done has been mediocre and ill timed, and they need to maximize their return in trades. I fully on board with dealing away anyone on the team at this point, but at the right cost. Hard to believe the Padres think he's only worth their 7/8 best prospects and that Atkins/Shapiro think that highly of those guys for a guy who can be elite.
worth pointing out, the Padres system is highly regarded and often referred to as the deepest in baseball. According to MLB Pipeline their 7th and 8th best prospects are both in the individual top 100 (top 80 to be exact).

I don't think you are going to get much more than that for Stroman. That's probably better return than Paxton netted the Mariners and I think he's the better pitcher.

Last edited by cross16; 12-27-2018 at 01:50 PM.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #19
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
worth pointing out, the Padres system is highly regarded and often referred to as the deepest in baseball. According to MLB Pipeline their 7th and 8th best prospects are both in the individual top 100 (top 80 to be exact).

I don't think you are going to get much more than that for Stroman. That's probably better return than Paxton netted the Mariners and I think he's the better pitcher.

If that's the best the team can do, then you keep him as the chances of getting another Stroman back are slim. Getting a top 100 prospect isn't a big deal to me - getting a top 20 prospect is.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:01 AM   #20
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
If that's the best the team can do, then you keep him as the chances of getting another Stroman back are slim. Getting a top 100 prospect isn't a big deal to me - getting a top 20 prospect is.
Fair, but I don't think there is any chance your getting that for Stroman. Those are extremely difficult to acquire.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote