Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #12641
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
The article you quote says JVR and a first for Hamonic
Around a week ago, the time people were talking here about what the Leafs offered NYI for Hamonic, apparently Lebrun said the Leafs tried at the deadline to trade for D, and struck out on 3 targets: Hamonic, McDonagh, and Vatanen, and have also been rumoured interested in Tanev.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/may-...sted-in-tanev/

Tanev has a NTC and says he wants to stay in Van, but media around the Leafs don’t really take items of fact or of probability as terribly relevant in their world.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #12642
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You gotta think that if the Flames want to get back into the draft in the first three rounds, they'll be talking with the Rangers a lot as they own 7 total picks in those rounds.

3 firsts (Rangers, Bruins, Lightning)
2 seconds (Rangers, Devils)
2 thirds (Rangers, Bruins)

If Fox has shown resistance towards signing then he might be able to snag one of those late 1sts. I'd rather keep him, but IF Flames brass think he's going to pull a Jimmy Vesey, better do deal with it now than wait until the last minute.

Bennett also might snag a late 1st depending on how the Rangers feel about him, although that stings if you're the Flames.

Hamilton probably gets you 9th overall PLUS, but I don't think you want to go down that road if you're the Flames unless Hamilton has asked for a trade, and even then you probably rather get a 1st line forward that can help now instead of a futures package.

Not sure if they'd be interested in Stone or Brodie, but if so they are easily worth a varied amount of picks in that 1st to 3rd round range.

Will be interesting to see, but I could see some sort of deal going down between these teams before or at the draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #12643
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

Tanev has a NTC and says he wants to stay in Van, but media around the Leafs don’t really take items of fact or of probability as terribly relevant in their world.
It is a modified NTC.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #12644
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Brooks is right and Zibinejad is in play, and Calgary is willing to take on Brenden Smith as a 7th D, things could get very very interesting.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #12645
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
If Brooks is right and Zibinejad is in play, and Calgary is willing to take on Brenden Smith as a 7th D, things could get very very interesting.

Smith makes $4.3 million a year for the next 3 years and you want him as our 7th dman?
Old 05-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #12646
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Smith has good size and can skate really well. He's not old and has a lengthy history of being an adequate top 4 defenseman at the NHL level.

I'd like to know what happened to make the Rangers go from signing him as a UFA to a 4 year deal, to waiving him and sending him to Hartford just a half year later.

If he's salvageable I would love for the Flames to snag another asset by taking him on as their #4, and then in turn use Brodie to bring in more assets in another deal. Or maybe they can trade Brouwer for him one for one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #12647
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

What would be better though? Smith retained or Marc Staal retained?
Old 05-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #12648
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If Zibanejad becomes available, he’s at the top of my wish list trade instantly.

Monahan
Zibanejad
Backlund
Jankowski

Is centre depth I could get on board with. Zibanejad also has a solid one timer - and we could use more shooters on the PP.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #12649
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If Zibanejad becomes available, he’s at the top of my wish list trade instantly.

Monahan
Zibanejad
Backlund
Jankowski

Is centre depth I could get on board with. Zibanejad also has a solid one timer - and we could use more shooters on the PP.
I'd move Janko to a top 9 wing role and Shore to 4C

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Zibanejad-Jankowski
Lazar-Shore-Foo
Hathaway, someone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #12650
Eric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone hear if Iginla is trying to crack a line up next year? Not necessarily Flames related, just curious.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:24 AM   #12651
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Anyone hear if Iginla is trying to crack a line up next year? Not necessarily Flames related, just curious.
I think he might, but it’d probably just be a PTO with someone.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #12652
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

If it’s true that the Rangers are so desperate to get rid of Smith that they’ll package him with Zibanejad to do it, the Flames should be salivating.

I think Zibanejad was the Rangers best skater last year. And he just turned 25.

I also think Smith was not the problem. If you compare him to Michael Stone, they started in the offensive zone about as much, Smith played against much harder opposition, and Smith had a much better impact on his team having the puck.

Is Smith overpaid? Yes. Is he unplayable? No and I think he could even be serviceable.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #12653
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Monahan
Zibanejad
Backlund
Jankowski

To me that's still a border line playoff team that's playing 6 playoff games at best. I also think Jankowski as a 4th line center would be a real waste too. If Zibanejad can play wing and be effective on the right side that might change things.

The Flames are going to have to do better than that if they want to keep Hamilton and Gaudreau from fleeing town in 3-4 years.

I don't know if people realize that half of Hamilton's contract is gone. The Flames need to start delivering results next year. Not 3 years from now, and not just being a borderline playoff team, but something more. Otherwise they are wasting away the best years of their best players.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #12654
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So no to ROR. Dude can't score

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #12655
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
To me that's still a border line playoff team that's playing 6 playoff games at best. I also think Jankowski as a 4th line center would be a real waste too. If Zibanejad can play wing and be effective on the right side that might change things.

The Flames are going to have to do better than that if they want to keep Hamilton and Gaudreau from fleeing town in 3-4 years.

I don't know if people realize that half of Hamilton's contract is gone. The Flames need to start delivering results next year. Not 3 years from now, and not just being a borderline playoff team, but something more. Otherwise they are wasting away the best years of their best players.
We're (almost) all hoping for Tavares, but aside from pipe dreams like that happening you still need to improve the team wherever and whenever you can. Zibanejad had 27 goals last year, is a right hand shot, and a good two way center with speed. Those are all things the Flames could use without question.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #12656
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be shocked if the rangers were interested in letting Zibanejad go for anything we could afford. If they're rebuilding, Zibanejad is young enough to be around for the end of the rebuild, so we would have to give up something that they could use in the future, but outside of maybe valimaki, who do we have? Fox might work if he was signed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #12657
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could maybe see Fox+Bennett getting the Rangers to think about moving Zibenijad. I think there would be little doubt Fox would sign with the Rangers and if they believe Bennett can be a top 6 forward then maybe it is a conversation worth having?
Old 05-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #12658
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
So no to ROR. Dude can't score

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Except those 24 times as a second centre on the worst team in the league.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #12659
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Except those 24 times as a second centre on the worst team in the league.
I was a fan too but his 5 on 5 scoring stats make me wonder.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #12660
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I was a fan too but his 5 on 5 scoring stats make me wonder.
I think he got all the heavy lifting against the top lines of other teams, like Backlund did.
Closed Thread