Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #12501
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
A Krisp twenty says Bennett get 50 points this year! Glue Gun couldn't coach finger painting to five year olds.
If your betting "crisp 20s" I would stick to 40 points. I think Bennett will have a better year but 50 is the over.
The Following User Says Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 05:34 PM   #12502
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is OEL worth an 8x8? I think he's been held back by his team to a large extent but he was a - 28 this year and with the exception of one season is around 0.5 ppg. I'll be glad if he does because that's yet another defensive upgrade Edmonton won't be getting.

What comparables are there?
Old 05-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #12503
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
Is OEL worth an 8x8? I think he's been held back by his team to a large extent but he was a - 28 this year and with the exception of one season is around 0.5 ppg. I'll be glad if he does because that's yet another defensive upgrade Edmonton won't be getting.

What comparables are there?
I'd say the direct comparison is probably Hedman. Hedman better player and got 7.875 I believe. However he was signing to a Stanley cup contender. OEL is also elite but signing to a dumpster team. So I would be asking for more money too.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #12504
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've always thought OEL was overrated. Plus he's annoying to play against in NHL 18, so I don't like him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #12505
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can see him getting around 7 but 8 is what burns got and above 8 would make him the second highest paid dman in the league.

Holy cow did hedman's contract renewal for at a good time for tampa, just before his numbers kicked up a gear.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #12506
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burn's got 8 until he is 40. If he was signed until he was only 35, like OEL would be, he would have gotten over 10M.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #12507
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also he would be the second highest cap. Weber and Suter are paid significantly more.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #12508
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's as though people are watching a different player. The Bennett I see routinely kills plays on his stick. He still tries to beat guys 1 on 1 and fails. Multiple times a game. He doesn't use his skating to give himself space and time to let plays develop. He doesn't use his teammates well. He's still trying to do the things that worked for him as a 17 and 18 year old.

That doesn't look like a lack of confidence - you have to be pretty confident to think you can beat a NHL defender 1 on 1. It looks like a guy who doesn't see the ice well, and doesn't cycle through his options well. Who struggles to process the game at an NHL level.

Hmmm. Could be. But to me it looks like a young kid that had it when he first played then was overcoached to play a system and not allowed to use instincts. He seems like perfect candidate to ride on backlunds wing and make mistakes.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #12509
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
He seems like perfect candidate to ride on backlunds wing and make mistakes.
Well he is excellent at making mistakes regardless of what center he plays with or position he plays.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #12510
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is my dream scenario.

Hamilton for Marner (Dubas trades Hunter’s guy to land his analytically elite Dman)
Flames sign Tavares (The leafs chased Hamonic at both the draft and deadline knowing he was the key to signing JT. The Flames also knew this and get their guy)

New top 9

Tkachuk-Tavares-Marner
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #12511
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I'd say the direct comparison is probably Hedman. Hedman better player and got 7.875 I believe. However he was signing to a Stanley cup contender. OEL is also elite but signing to a dumpster team. So I would be asking for more money too.
I think florida is a no state income tax too

So hedman ends up making more anyway
Old 05-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #12512
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Hamilton for Marner (Dubas trades Hunter’s guy to land his analytically elite Dman)
Flames sign Tavares (The leafs chased Hamonic at both the draft and deadline knowing he was the key to signing JT. The Flames also knew this and get their guy)

New top 9

Tkachuk-Tavares-Marner
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Would be fun but man would it hurt at the end of next season when Marner and Tkachuk both go RFA. Especially since they'd have just spent the year flanking Tavares haha.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #12513
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Wow I don’t think OEL is even in the realm of Hedman. OEL is essentially Buffalo Sabre version of Brian Campbell.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #12514
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

New top 9

Tkachuk-Tavares-Marner
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Pretty sweet until you get to our defence.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #12515
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Giordano - Brodie
Kulak - Hamonic
Andersson - Stone

Not that bad, and if you want to block the young Dmen, or don't have confidence in them, you can go after Hickey, De Haan or Cole.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #12516
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gio-Brodie
Stone-Hamonic
Kulak-Andersson.

They have 3 top 4 D including one legit number 1. Andersson is also an intriguing rookie and Valimaki could also make the jump. Stone could be traded as well and a LHD signed. Maybe the Flames could trade Brouwer for Martin or Kulikov?

Not the best D Corp but decent and that top 9 is insane and then there is Jankowski on the 4th line.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #12517
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Giordano - Brodie
Kulak - Hamonic
Andersson - Stone

Not that bad, and if you want to block the young Dmen, or don't have confidence in them, you can go after Hickey, De Haan or Cole.
I don't think Brodie is a top pairing guy any more. I don't trust him against top opposing forwards. And I think his decline might be permanent. I think Kulak is on his way to top 4 but not yet. Andersson and Stone are fine.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #12518
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Would be fun but man would it hurt at the end of next season when Marner and Tkachuk both go RFA. Especially since they'd have just spent the year flanking Tavares haha.
In my dream scenario they sign 8 year deals on July 1 a year before RFA status.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 PM   #12519
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gio-Brodie
Stone-Hamonic
Kulak-Andersson.

They have 3 top 4 D including one legit number 1. Andersson is also an intriguing rookie and Valimaki could also make the jump. Stone could be traded as well and a LHD signed. Maybe the Flames could trade Brouwer for Martin or Kulikov?

Not the best D Corp but decent and that top 9 is insane and then there is Jankowski on the 4th line.
See comment about Brodie above. I don't really like Stone and Hamonic either. Stone ends up on his backhand, and IMO he's a bottom pairing guy. He's not bad but not particularly good at anything (except a really hard shot but slow to fire).
Old 05-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #12520
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
See comment about Brodie above. I don't really like Stone and Hamonic either. Stone ends up on his backhand, and IMO he's a bottom pairing guy. He's not bad but not particularly good at anything (except a really hard shot but slow to fire).
At the end of the day that forward group would be among the best in the NHl. That top line would be arguably the best in the league. Tkachuk and Marner were an elite combo in junior and now they get a franchise centre to play with. Gaudreau and Monahan start seeing insanely heavy o-zone starts and second pair defenders. They will feast on teams 5 on 5. Backlund’s line gets buried in the d-zone and takes on the tough matchups.

I think Brodie moving back to the right side and with Gio we see a resurgence. They may need to address Hamonic’s partner and move a guy like Stone. Andersson is an exciting player with offensive upside.

It also wouldn’t shock me to see Valimaki or Kylington push for a spot. We have those 4 solid D prospects it makes sense to make room for them. Again only trading Dougie for an elite young RW which Marner is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread