Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #11441
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Tavares signing in Calgary is not very likely.

But it's still more likely than 90 per cent of the trade proposals made in this thread.
No kidding, I saw one proposal on CP that was Dougie Hamilton for Anthony Mantha.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #11442
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
This was excellent.
Cant believe this wasn't caught before, golden.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #11443
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
According to you Brodie is useless and is going to be shot into the sun. Now he's part of the long term plans when you're ranting that all Tavares discussion be stopped?

Were you not told to stop trying to pick fights on here? I never said Brodie was going to be shot in the sun, why don't you take your b.s somewhere else? I would rather we move on from him but there are no guarantees BT does so.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #11444
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Were you not told to stop trying to pick fights on here? I never said Brodie was going to be shot in the sun, why don't you take your b.s somewhere else? I would rather we move on from him but there are no guarantees BT does so.
Guaranteed he’s moved when Tavares signs here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #11445
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
It's speculation- of course fans will speculate on the biggest free agent signing with their team.

I would also argue that center depth is a need. Backlund as your number 2 just isn't good enough if you're planning on competing for a Stanley Cup. Adding a player like Tavares pushes everyone down a notch and gives Calgary three stellar pairs on each line.

You wouldn't consider signing Tavares because Hamonic and Brodie will need raises in a few years? Especially when the greatest strength of our prospect pool is our defense? That seems like a poor way to build a team. Ideally we have young players taking those spots in a few years.

Crosby and McDavid aren't free agents...0% chance there.

Tavares might only be a 2% chance, but even then 2% is worth speculation.
There are more holes that need addressing than C. Jankowski and Backlund are a fine 1-2 punch after Monahan. You know what it is starting to sound like on here? Leaf fans when Stamkos was coming up as a UFA. At least that was plausible because you could make some kind of argument why he would want to go to Toronto. Exactly why would he want to come to the Flames? He wants to play in Canada? Give me one legit source that shows he has ever said that. A contending team? Nope, even with Tavares we are not there yet. Paying out the Ying Yang in taxes? That sounds like a draw. Better yet explain to me why BT looks at the holes on this team which is not centre and decides to put himself in the same bad spot the guy up North we all make fun of did? All Tavares has said that we can confirm is he wants to remain and Islander but even if he goes UFA there is zero reason he would sign with the Flames and very very unlikely that BT gives him the money he would command even if he would.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #11446
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, they really can't. Tkachuk is going to not be cheap, assuming he keeps on the trajectory he is on he is looking at Gaudreau money, possibly more. The year after Brodie and Hamonic will both need raises and the year after that Hamilton will. Yet you want to spend 11M/season on a position that is not even a need. Hey, go ahead and clog the thread up with useless speculation though. Shall we ponder trading for Crosby or McDavid as well?
Yes, they totally can.

Tkachuk has another year. That year buys time to see if (at least) one of the D prospects can make Stone and probably one other defenseman expendable.

And in another year, Brouwer is a cheap buyout.

And in another year, Frolik becomes trade bait.

And in a year, Smith's contract is gone and there are lots of possibilities with the goaltending.

The cap is expected to go up to something near $80M this year. The Flames have all kinds of opportunities to have plenty of space.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:42 PM   #11447
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course Tavares is a longshot. The most likely place for him is NYI. But if he doesn't sign with them, he has to sign somewhere.

If you go through the teams, some aren't close to being contenders, some don't have cap space, some don't have room at C. If you go down the list there are at most 10, and probably fewer, viable teams.

The Flames are definitely one of the viable teams.

Is it likely? Of course not. Is it possible, and even plausible? Absolutely it is. The Flames have as much chance as any team other than the Islanders.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #11448
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get the argument that we don't need a C. Great teams are built with strength down the middle.

Tavares
Monahan
Backlund
Jankowski
Shore

makes the Flames arguably the strongest team in the west down the middle.

The Oilers have an argument, if you put Draisaitl at C. But if you do, they suck at wing. And they still suck at D. The Flames have them on both counts by a fair margin.

And suggesting the Flames are too weak at wing to contend is also hard to fathom. With those Cs, all 4 lines would be solid.

The Flames are instantly in the discussion with Winnipeg for best collection of forwards in the west if you add Tavares.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #11449
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't get the argument that we don't need a C. Great teams are built with strength down the middle.

Tavares
Monahan
Backlund
Jankowski
Shore

makes the Flames arguably the strongest team in the west down the middle.

The Oilers have an argument, if you put Draisaitl at C. But if you do, they suck at wing. And they still suck at D. The Flames have them on both counts by a fair margin.

And suggesting the Flames are too weak at wing to contend is also hard to fathom. With those Cs, all 4 lines would be solid.

The Flames are instantly in the discussion with Winnipeg for best collection of forwards in the west if you add Tavares.
Kinda baffles me how people look at our center depth and think it's not a weakness. Our currently penciled in 3C has 73 games of NHL experience.

I also get a chuckle when folks state their belief that if Tavares hits free agency Treliving wouldn't even make a pitch for him. I believe that if they miss out on Tavares, they will then move to plan B which will be Stastny or Bozak, on shorter term deals if they will accept them.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #11450
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I would say that having Tavares might propel Calgary to being 'on the cusp' of winning. I mean, I wouldn't bet a penny on Tavares signing in Calgary, but there is a really good situation here. It all depends on how Peters gets this team to play.

Tkachuk - Tavares - Bennett
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik

That's about as good of a top nine as you can find in the NHL, especially so given Tavares propensity for making his wingers sudden all-stars.
Came to say basically this, but I wouldn't put Jankowski on Backlund's line

Tkachuk - Tavares - Bennett/Foo
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland/Foo
Dube/Bennett/Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland/Dube - Jankowski - Lazar/Brouwer

Having Dube be able to step onto Backlund's line would be huge for our depth (though he probably isn't ready this year)

If Foo could crack one of the two top lines, you could move Ferland down.

Regardless, adding Tavares instantly gives Calgary one of the best top 9s in the league. To go along with a solid D core.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 04:00 PM   #11451
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Having Dube be able to step onto Backlund's line would be huge for our depth (though he probably isn't ready this year)

Regardless, adding Tavares instantly gives Calgary one of the best top 9s in the league. To go along with a solid D core.

Exactly. Makes me think that one thing holding back the pitch will be having a 36 year old Smith as plan A in net and then nothing really proven to back him up, and no long term obvious succession plan in place.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Treliving wheeling and dealing for a goalie again if one hits the market.

I was quietly hoping for Holtby, but Grubauer falling on his face in the playoffs and then Holtby promptly picking up the pieces has kind of squashed that dream.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #11452
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Skill wise yes, but there would still be significant shortcomings on team speed. Watching Nashville and Winnipeg I'm mesmerized by the transition game and ability for all lines to skate. I look through that Flames forward core (with the pipe dream of Tavares) and there are still 4-5 guys that prevent us from being a quick team up front.

IMO that's one of the biggest priorities of the offseason. Adding personnel that will allow this team to play a much quicker game.
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #11453
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Skill wise yes, but there would still be significant shortcomings on team speed. Watching Nashville and Winnipeg I'm mesmerized by the transition game and ability for all lines to skate. I look through that Flames forward core (with the pipe dream of Tavares) and there are still 4-5 guys that prevent us from being a quick team up front.

IMO that's one of the biggest priorities of the offseason. Adding personnel that will allow this team to play a much quicker game.
If you look at the lineup a couple posts up as a discussion point, there are at least 2 fast players on each of those lines. They also have a fast D core. There is nothing wrong with the Flames' team speed. They need a faster tempo for sure. And they need more offense. Tavares definitely helps with both of those (he would be replacing Stajan in the lineup).
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #11454
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
The Flames biggest hole is not having a right handed shot top 6 forward who will play PP1.
So who do you think the Flames should target?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #11455
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Gojetsgo has got to be banned. Horrible poster and only tries to pick fights on the internet. One tough dude
Old 05-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #11456
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
There are more holes that need addressing than C. Jankowski and Backlund are a fine 1-2 punch after Monahan. You know what it is starting to sound like on here? Leaf fans when Stamkos was coming up as a UFA. At least that was plausible because you could make some kind of argument why he would want to go to Toronto. Exactly why would he want to come to the Flames? He wants to play in Canada? Give me one legit source that shows he has ever said that. A contending team? Nope, even with Tavares we are not there yet. Paying out the Ying Yang in taxes? That sounds like a draw. Better yet explain to me why BT looks at the holes on this team which is not centre and decides to put himself in the same bad spot the guy up North we all make fun of did? All Tavares has said that we can confirm is he wants to remain and Islander but even if he goes UFA there is zero reason he would sign with the Flames and very very unlikely that BT gives him the money he would command even if he would.
I'm not going to argue over the possibilities of why Tavares might sign here because others have already brought that up, but it is absolutely crazy to think that being able to push Backlund and Frolik down to line 3 where they can act as a bonafide checking line and don't need to be relied on to create offense wouldn't be immensely valuable to to this team.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #11457
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderRowdy View Post
Tavares is not coming here. Not only that but id bet my next paycheque he resigns in new york. He isnt coming to calgary lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
I'll take that bet.
Is the joke that resigns means he will retire in New York?

So if he does ANYTHING other then retire in New York you win the bet?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #11458
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, they really can't. Tkachuk is going to not be cheap, assuming he keeps on the trajectory he is on he is looking at Gaudreau money, possibly more. The year after Brodie and Hamonic will both need raises and the year after that Hamilton will. Yet you want to spend 11M/season on a position that is not even a need. Hey, go ahead and clog the thread up with useless speculation though. Shall we ponder trading for Crosby or McDavid as well?
If all that's stopping Tavares from signing in Calgary was money, I guarantee he'd be a Flame come July 1st.

I don't disagree that signing Tavares is a super long shot (or in your point of view, an impossibility). But him not signing because Flames chose not to sign him for fear of future cap space issues would not be one of the reasons why. I have no issues with the Flames paying him $11M a year if he did decide to choose to sign here.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #11459
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly think the Flames need to relax their need for forwards to spend years in the AHL to develop.

I feel like at most forwards need 100 games in the AHL - and at that point you are better off giving them the opportunity to further develop on your 3rd and 4th lines at the NHL level.

I look at a guy like Klimchuk. Clearly wasn't ready after his 15/16 season, but after he improved to 43 pts in 66 games after the 16/17 season he should have been on the NHL roster last year. He had nothing left to learn at the AHL level.

This year Mangiapane is that guy. He has no reason to go back to the AHL - he should be on the NHL team.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:53 PM   #11460
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree with this. adding a player of Tavares calibre to the Flames would 100% put us in contender territory.

Tkachuk - Tavares - Ferland
Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Lazar - Backlund - Frolik
Mangiapane - Janko - Brouwer

Gio - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Andersson

Smith
Rittich

That is a contending lineup... If adding Tavares to your team doesn't make you a contender your franchise is most likely a bottom feeder.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread