Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #10441
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
So we're going to trade away Ferland and Hamilton but keeping Brodie and Bennett?
Can you link to the memo you got that we all seemed to have missed?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #10442
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
We trade the guys that have value and the guys that were propped up playing with our top players.
Except they weren't. They were effective members of the hockey team and got their job done. You're trading away guys that are higher end contributors and sitting on guys that you actually need to improve upon to get better. Making moves like that is how you make teams worse and continue losing.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #10443
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can understand the defense of Hamilton, But Ferland? Yeesh. Guys not a top six winger and that has to be addressed with piss and vinegar by Treliving. Whether they move Ferland or not he should be nowhere near the top six.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #10444
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

No reason for Senators to give up Stone because he is a highly skilled guy that is in the right age bracket.
Assuming that Ryan is not included in a Karlsson trade this summer.
What would be the proper return from the Flames for Stone and Ryan if Ottawa retained 50%/25%/0% of Ryan $7.25M for the next four years?

Brodie for Stone and Ryan @ 50%
Stone for Stone and Ryan @ 25%
Stone and Brouwer for Stone and Ryan @0% and third round pick

At what point would it make sense to bring in one of the top five power forward scoring wingers in the league? Or would it ever make sense?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #10445
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah let's separate the trade Hamilton/ trade Ferland camps immediately.

One is completely assinine and the other is trying to upgrade on a player when his value is highest. Not at all comparable.

You only trade Ferland to get a better forward piece. You don't trade our young right handed giant who scores goals with ease from the blue line for anything but a terrible overpayment that no one would reasonably consider.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #10446
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading Ferland would be a shrewd move. I'm all for it.

Trading Hamilton is silly. He has warts, but he's an asset to the team that we won't recover in a trade.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #10447
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Not looking to pick a fight, but Friedman's thoughts were far more speculative then that. The morning team asked him what would happen in Anahiem this off season, and he said maybe they'd look to move on from Perry. But that seemed more to me as just a thought had, versus anything he had an inside line on.

Then when it came to Calgary, the morning team pushed to say could Calgary be a fit for Perry and all of them including Friedman just offered up an opinion that he could probably be the type of player Calgary needed.

That was the extent of this speculation though, no indication that Anahiem or Calgary had even started kicking tires on this, just some dudes throwing #### out there and speculating.
I thought my post was pretty clear that it was just him identifying that he thought Perry would be a good fit in Calgary. Speculation. I didn't say Calgary and Anaheim were talking at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #10448
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
No reason for Senators to give up Stone because he is a highly skilled guy that is in the right age bracket.
What would be the proper return from the Flames for Stone and Ryan if Ottawa retained 50%/25%/0% of Ryan $7.25M for the next four years?

At what point would it make sense to bring in one of the top five power forward scoring wingers in the league? Or would it ever make sense?
Those are deals Treliving should be going after. Get a sure fire scorer, and a reclamation project who has shown the ability to finish, for diminishing returns, while using your cap space to your advantage.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #10449
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I thought my post was pretty clear that it was just him identifying that he thought Perry would be a good fit in Calgary. Speculation. I didn't say Calgary and Anaheim were talking at all.
Fair enough, but that's now how I read this statement:

"Friedman on 960 this morning thinks Anaheim will look at trading Perry this summer. Said Calgary would probably be a good fit, and Anaheim would probably be willing to retain salary.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #10450
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post

I am guessing Stone would cost us way more than that even with Ryan attached unless the Sens don't want to pay him what he is worth.

Might be able to get Hoffman and Ryan for Brodie or something.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #10451
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Fair enough, but that's now how I read this statement:

"Friedman on 960 this morning thinks Anaheim will look at trading Perry this summer. Said Calgary would probably be a good fit, and Anaheim would probably be willing to retain salary.
Then you misread it.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #10452
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyway not a big deal. Just though I'd add it to this thread as we consider options for top line RW.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #10453
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I can understand the defense of Hamilton, But Ferland? Yeesh. Guys not a top six winger and that has to be addressed with piss and vinegar by Treliving. Whether they move Ferland or not he should be nowhere near the top six.
How are we giving Bennett the benefit of the doubt when he's regressed and sucked the past few seasons, but at the same time throw Ferland under the bus when he’s done nothing but improve and get better during that same time? Yes, he’s shown a lack of consistency, but again, he’s improved and gotten better every year…. why aren’t we giving him the benefit of the doubt that he’ll improve like we do with Bennett?

Ferland at 21G and 20A would sit at #33 in points and #24 in goals among RW’s in the league this past season. Players in that vicinity are Grabner, Tuch, Silfverberg, Nyquist, Buchnevich, Simmonds and Okposo. All guys I have seen multiple posters say we should trade for to address our top6 RW needs.

Ferland by all accounts is a top6 winger, is he perfect…no. But he’s shown that he belongs on that top line and there’s no reason to believe he won’t get better. People who want him traded are either too harsh on him or their expectations are unrealistic He is a great compliment to that top line.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #10454
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Perry's done, and I do think moving to a team that has no right shots would probably open up significant goal scoring chances he's probably seen declining as their whole roster has become right handed shots. There'd have to be retention for anyone to take him on.

But if that's your big offseason add you have to, HAVE to figure out a way to make other positions faster. Unlike, say Hossa in his late years in Chicago, or Marleau this year or Kovalchuk - guys who can still skate into old age, Perry is a guy who gets by with the mental game. Between Monahan, Tkachuk, and Perry, you'd have a teamwide quota filled on people that are not burners.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 04-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #10455
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know people hate the idea but I would seriously consider looking into getting a guy Like Bobby Ryan as long as two things happen.

1. They retain about $2 million
2. They take Brouwer back in the deal

Then maybe add Micheal Stone to the deal in order to get Pageau back in return.

Saves Ottawa a ton of money, and we get two right shots, and Ryan at $5.25 million playing on the top line with Johnny/Mony isn't bad at all IMO.

Pageau is a versatile forward and also a right shot who would look good on Bennett/Janko's right wing IMO. You also strengthen the bottom 6 by moving Ferland back down there too.

Plus a spot is opened up on the bottom pairing for Andersson.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #10456
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I know people hate the idea but I would seriously consider looking into getting a guy Like Bobby Ryan as long as two things happen.

1. They retain about $2 million
2. They take Brouwer back in the deal

Then maybe add Micheal Stone to the deal in order to get Pageau back in return.

Saves Ottawa a ton of money, and we get two right shots, and Ryan at $5.25 million playing on the top line with Johnny/Mony isn't bad at all IMO.

Pageau is a versatile forward and also a right shot who would look good on Bennett/Janko's right wing IMO. You also strengthen the bottom 6 by moving Ferland back down there too.

Plus a spot is opened up on the bottom pairing for Andersson.
Stone likely wont have OTT on his no trade list as his brother is there, but Brouwer, that might be a different storey. but I likes.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #10457
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bobby Ryan on our top line? I know the pickings are slim...but yeesh. I saw a lot of Ottawa games this year and there is no chance the dude keeps up with Johnny and Monny.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #10458
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rangers really need top 4 D. Brodie is the type of D they seem to covet every couple years.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #10459
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Perry would be a nice add asuming acq price wasnt crazy.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #10460
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Perry would be a nice add asuming acq price wasnt crazy.
He's 32 years old, he takes $8,625,000 off the cap per year (for three more years), he isn't the goal scoring machine he used to be, he's a complete ####heel.

... acquisition price would have to be low. Like straight up for Troy Brouwer low.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread