Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-21-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Let's talk about RADON

Because of this thread:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=5409840

And some other info I came across I've been looking into Radon, bought a detector and had a Radon company come check out my house. Is Radon really a serious concern? If you read all the sites WHO, Health Canada, etc. It's nothing but legitimate serious concern, but the reality seems to be that nobody really takes this seriously and most people have never heard of it (let alone tested their homes). If it wasn't for legitimate organizations putting up warnings the Radon thing smells like a scam. Is it just in it's infancy of awareness? In Calgary there are only 2 legitimate testing and mitigation companies and if the problem is as serious as everyone lets on they'd be backlogs for years, but when I met with one they basically said it's a pretty slow line of work.

Beginning this month Alberta adopts the 2010 NBC that requires a rough in radon reduction system in new construction. So the Governments are taking this seriously, but the general public does not seem convinced and most people (including me) hadn't even heard of it as an issue.

So anyone get their homes tested for Radon before? Is this the first you've heard of it? Is this really a concern? Why is there not more awareness around Radon?
Old 11-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #2
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've really only heard of Radon being a concern because it is one of Mike Holmes campaigns and as such I view it as being blown out of proportion.

From the little bit that I know about Geology in Western Canada the occurrence and concentration of uranium rich rocks is very limited in Southern Alberta. As such, I wouldn't get too freaked out about my basement getting filled with radon. If I lived in areas with higher Uranium concentrations like Northern Saskatchewan or parts of Ontario I would probably look into it more seriously.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have heard of it for about 5 years.

I don't worry about it because I think there's plenty of air exchange in my house, including the basement. My furnace fan runs most of the summer bringing in lots of fresh air, and I have air returns and combustion air drawn from the basement. And I've looked for statistics or reported evidence that there's a higher likelihood of there being a problem in my area of the city and found none.

Detailed story made short:I think radon is only a huge problem when air when air flow in basements is very poor, or in very well sealed houses with minimal air exchange. AND, ofcourse, there must be the correct underlying soil conditions. But maybe I just have my head in the sand because I don't want to get suckered into paying for a test kit.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I've really only heard of Radon being a concern because it is one of Mike Holmes campaigns and as such I view it as being blown out of proportion.

From the little bit that I know about Geology in Western Canada the occurrence and concentration of uranium rich rocks is very limited in Southern Alberta. As such, I wouldn't get too freaked out about my basement getting filled with radon. If I lived in areas with higher Uranium concentrations like Northern Saskatchewan or parts of Ontario I would probably look into it more seriously.

According to this map, we're in the highest risk zone:

http://mr-radon.ca/toronto-region/ra.../#!prettyPhoto
Old 11-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had mine tested, came back at 110 Bq/m3. Canadian limit is 200, so I figure I'm OK.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.forensic-applications.com/radon/radon.html

Industrial Hygienists, in general, are engaged in protection of humans against the harmful effects of ionizing (and nonionizing radiation). The specialized field of managing ionizing radiation is known as “Health Physics” and the job of the Health Physicist is to manage the beneficial use of ionizing radiation while protecting workers and the public from potential hazards. Although political organizations (such as the US EPA) publish a variety of statements of elevated risk, to date (2010) there are no scientific studies that have ever actually shown that radon gas, as typically seen in houses, increases the risk of cancer. To be clear: There are NO valid studies that have conclusively demonstrated that typical residential exposures to radon increase the risk of cancer at all. In fact, all of the valid studies performed thus far show one of two things: 1) No risk and/or 2) a decreasing risk of cancer. This view is reflected in a position statement issued by the Health Physics Society, the premier Health Physics organization in the US. According to the position statement issued by the Health Physics Society1a, for doses below 100 mSv (10 rem)

“…risks of health effects are either too small to be observed or are non-existent."

http://www.cato.org/publications/com...at-false-alarm

Last edited by troutman; 11-21-2015 at 12:07 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish I had less scruples and got in on this cash cow before the scam gets shut down.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #8
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
According to this map, we're in the highest risk zone:

http://mr-radon.ca/toronto-region/ra.../#!prettyPhoto
I would interested in knowing what the underlying data actually is for that map. I bet the radon sampling is probably very sparse. For Western Canada, they are basically just using the extents of the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin and putting the whole area as high.

Here is what a team a scientists published, less than 10 years ago, about Uranium potential in Southern Alberta:

Quote:
we could not identify significant sources of uranium.
http://www.ags.gov.ab.ca/conferences...m-matveeva.pdf

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 11-21-2015 at 09:21 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's almost as bad as dihydrogen monoxide!
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
http://www.dhmo.org/truth/Dihydrogen-Monoxide.html
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #11
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
I wouldn't go that far, but the risks are probably over-stated. Still it's pretty cheap to do the test yourself (I bought a 3-month test kit from a not for profit group) if you're concerned, particularly if you spend a lot of time in your basement. I'd be pretty hesitant to hire one of the companies advertising all over to come in and do the test for me.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've known about Radon for about 20 years. My wife however had not and as was in full panic smother the kids mode from the radon commercials recently. She insisted that we have the house tested. So I bought a three month test kit for $40 back in June. Sent the kit back in October and just got my results this week. 59 Bq/m^3, 200 is when people start dropping like flies...hopefully this puts her at ease.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #13
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Since I'm on a crawl space with a poly sheet over dirt, I was concerned about radon. I live on the island but they've redone the ratings over the last few years and it could be a concern, so I ended up buying a detector as well.

In regions where levels are high, think it's worth looking into.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #14
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I wish I had less scruples and got in on this cash cow before the scam gets shut down.
Ya these types of comments^

From the canadian cancer society radon is second to cigarette smoking for causing lung cancer. This is from heir website:

Exposure to radon gas increases your risk of lung cancer. This risk depends on the level and length of exposure, as well as if you are a smoker. Lung cancer can develop after years of radon exposure. Health Canada estimates that about 16% of lung cancer deaths are related to being exposed to radon in the home. Radon exposure is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers and it’s estimated that in Canada there are about 3000 lung cancer deaths related to radon each year. If you smoke, you are at an even higher risk of developing lung cancer if you are exposed to radon.

Read more: http://www.cancer.ca/en/prevention-a...#ixzz3s9rWHEVl
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #15
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Radon isn't a scam, and should be taken seriously. Obviously if you're not living overtop of decaying Uranium, it's not going to be much of an issue for you.

It's an issue we've been dealing with in Saskatchewan for a long time. Lot of hotspots around the province that have tested well above 1000 Bq/m3.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #16
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Sent the kit back in October and just got my results this week. 59 Bq/m^3, 200 is when people start dropping like flies...hopefully this puts her at ease.
I've lived in greater than 200 for my entire life. Not good for long term health, I agree, but the dropping like flies comment was way too much.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #17
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife would be very pleased to see this thread on CP. She's the program coordinator for radon awareness for Ontario

It doesn't get a lot of attention as tobacco is what people usually associate with lung cancer.

The danger with it is long term exposure. Because it's a gas that arises from rock, the concern if you spend a lot of time in an area the gas can collect and concentrate, such as a basement or basement suite. You can get a kit from home Depot and test areas where you spend time regularly. Leave it there for 3 months, and send it off to the lab for results.

If you do have high levels in the home, it can be rectified by installing a fan pipe in the basement to vent the gas outside.

She had a lot of fun working with Mike Holmes on the PSA, and hopes it reaches a lot of Canadians.

I can relay any questions you might have on radon to her.

LChoy
Old 11-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #18
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I've lived in greater than 200 for my entire life. Not good for long term health, I agree, but the dropping like flies comment was way too much.
Really? It was in jest, obviously people aren't going to be dropping dead from Radon exposure.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #19
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

If you don't let the radon build up though, how else will you develop super powers?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #20
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
My wife would be very pleased to see this thread on CP. She's the program coordinator for radon awareness for Ontario

It doesn't get a lot of attention as tobacco is what people usually associate with lung cancer.

The danger with it is long term exposure. Because it's a gas that arises from rock, the concern if you spend a lot of time in an area the gas can collect and concentrate, such as a basement or basement suite. You can get a kit from home Depot and test areas where you spend time regularly. Leave it there for 3 months, and send it off to the lab for results.

If you do have high levels in the home, it can be rectified by installing a fan pipe in the basement to vent the gas outside.

She had a lot of fun working with Mike Holmes on the PSA, and hopes it reaches a lot of Canadians.

I can relay any questions you might have on radon to her.

LChoy
Can she respond to the detailed report in post 6 that concludes there is no proven risk in residential scenarios (2010)?

And this?

http://forensic-applications.com/radon/reviews.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heal...n#Health_risks

Last edited by troutman; 11-22-2015 at 08:21 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote