Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #1081
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
If the “bit of infrastructure”, is designed to accommodate a capacity of a second downtown, well, that’s my point. They may not need it.
You know the beauty of master planning? Is it's just that, a plan.

If time pans out that the vision created isn't feasible down the road, then it won't get developed, and an alternative vision can be produced when the time comes.

When trying to plan for something that pans out over decades, you have to think big, and anticipate what could pan out under ideal conditions. Just because things are rough now, doesn't mean it's forever. It's not like Calgary hasn't been through this before, and never recovered.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #1082
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
You know the beauty of master planning? Is it's just that, a plan.
Not planning is how you get Deerfoot Trail.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 07:03 PM   #1083
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

4 Iconic Men! Former voice of the Calgary Flames, Peter Maher and Flames Alumni Colin Patterson and Perry Berezan sit down with Lanny McDonald to discuss the ongoing controversial topic; building a new sports arena in Calgary. Very insightful.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:40 AM   #1084
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
4 Iconic Men! Former voice of the Calgary Flames, Peter Maher and Flames Alumni Colin Patterson and Perry Berezan sit down with Lanny McDonald to discuss the ongoing controversial topic; building a new sports arena in Calgary. Very insightful.
You'll have to point out the insightful part of the sit down to me. They trotted out every CSEC talking point but managed to avoid mentioning who should fund and how much.

Charities!
Concerts!
Civic pride!
Restaurants!
Bars!
But the library!
Everyone else is getting a new building!

Well actually, they did mention that City Council needs to wake up! No mention of Flames ownership kicking in the appropriate funding from their side.

Very much a CSEC propaganda piece. And not a very subtle one.

CSEC is preparing the full court press to leverage the great Flames season in the same way Koskinen's agent leveraged a new contract out of the Oilers.

If we get caught up in the hype, taxpayers could end up signing off on an overpriced funding agreement.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #1085
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

It doesn't change the fact that we need a new arena.

Sure they're CSEC talking points, but at least they're talking.

Before worrying about getting caught up in the hype, worry about not discussing how to organize a complex project between the City and stakeholders.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #1086
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate that this is starting to go public again.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #1087
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I hate that this is starting to go public again.
I know. I just wish they could hammer out the details behind closed doors and come to a resolution. But I understand the complexities and optics of the project, so I know it is immensely difficult.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #1088
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
You'll have to point out the insightful part of the sit down to me. They trotted out every CSEC talking point but managed to avoid mentioning who should fund and how much.

Charities!
Concerts!
Civic pride!
Restaurants!
Bars!
But the library!
Everyone else is getting a new building!

Well actually, they did mention that City Council needs to wake up! No mention of Flames ownership kicking in the appropriate funding from their side.

Very much a CSEC propaganda piece. And not a very subtle one.

CSEC is preparing the full court press to leverage the great Flames season in the same way Koskinen's agent leveraged a new contract out of the Oilers.

If we get caught up in the hype, taxpayers could end up signing off on an overpriced funding agreement.
Is it surprising that a group of former players and their former PBP guy are supportive of the arena. I don't see this as something CSEC would even have to ask to have done. These guys are going to be very pro arena because of their experience and backgrounds.
Just because they are supportive doesn't mean it is a propaganda piece.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #1089
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Is it surprising that a group of former players and their former PBP guy are supportive of the arena. I don't see this as something CSEC would even have to ask to have done. These guys are going to be very pro arena because of their experience and backgrounds.
Just because they are supportive doesn't mean it is a propaganda piece.
IMO, stating that City Council needs to WAKE UP and get an arena deal done is where their impromptu(?) get together crossed the line from opinion piece to propaganda piece.

They easily could have left it as "a new building needs to be built and the 2 sides need to sit down and work this out".

But they didn't. Rather, they UNANIMOUSLY agreed that any lack of progress on a deal is the fault of the City's representatives. Seems pretty clear to me they've taken sides.

YMMV of course.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #1090
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah I don't see this as a Flames led initiative, it's four guys stating their personal opinions that surprise no one. Tbh I'm outside of Calgary now but I think the Flames and the city need to find a way to get a deal done here soon - I was strongly against the flames initial proposal but I think arguments solely focusing on economics are flawed here... Peter made comments to the extent of the flames having cultural/social significance to the city and I agree, I don't think you can put a price tag on what the flames mean to the city and say that's it.

I hope something gets done soon, it's been depressing frankly watching a bunch of nimby killjoys and blowhard oil guys and their delegates hammering on each other with our hockey team as collateral.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #1091
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
IMO, stating that City Council needs to WAKE UP and get an arena deal done is where their impromptu(?) get together crossed the line from opinion piece to propaganda piece.

They easily could have left it as "a new building needs to be built and the 2 sides need to sit down and work this out".

But they didn't. Rather, they UNANIMOUSLY agreed that any lack of progress on a deal is the fault of the City's representatives. Seems pretty clear to me they've taken sides.

YMMV of course.
Yes they've taken a side. That is clear.
That doesn't make it a propaganda piece.
It means they have an opinion. One that doesn't surprise me in the least given their backgrounds.

They could have easily said what you outline above - but that's not how they feel. Again - that doesn't mean this is some grand propaganda piece.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 09:02 PM   #1092
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Francis says on Monday the Event Centre committee will present on whether the new arena should be included in the city's $300 million mega project budget.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #1093
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

MEGA PROJECT BUDGET? didnt know about this budget...
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #1094
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are four projects expected to be included in the capital budget, the event centre/arena is one of them.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #1095
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been hearing the Arena will not be in the CRL funds, but from normal City capital funds. Of course, $150m in stuff right around the arena to make the district work is in the CRL, already approved.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:46 AM   #1096
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope the arena is in place at the beginning of Johnny's last year. Little incentive to resign having a beauty new home drink!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #1097
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So excited that we are nearly in the next phase of this. Still plenty of time for the "still miles apart", "the city isn't contributing enough", "two very different ideas of what is fair" and add in a Ken King sighting in Houston and a Bettman sighting in Calgary. Wait for it.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:01 AM   #1098
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Francis says on Monday the Event Centre committee will present on whether the new arena should be included in the city's $300 million mega project budget.
$300 milion is the down payment on the Arena right?
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #1099
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

YMMV of course.
So if they have an opinion and s side, they're automatically part of the propaganda piece? Man, how do I get in on that? Because I'm on their side too, but Flames have yet to pay me for helping them spread their propaganda.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 09:59 AM   #1100
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
$300 milion is the down payment on the Arena right?
No, it’s a 12 month amortization, and that’s the first sum.

Ask stupid questions, get stupid prizes.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote