Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #21
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like if you were discreet and used some common sense that you could like drink today in the parks.

It is just like speeding though as you do run the risk.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:33 PM   #22
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
And people puking on the sidewalks.
Does allowing consumption outside change the amount of puke on the sidewalks?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:45 PM   #23
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
This is a slippery slope to allowing the devil's lettuce to be consumed around children playing at the park.
California food trucks have been selling beer and wine in parks for years, have never heard of a complaint.

Some even sell craft beer from kegs. spoiler for size.
Spoiler!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:55 PM   #24
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm all for this, and if it goes through I'd like to see the AGLC remove the stupid 'picnic areas only' stipulation. We need to get with the times.

Being drunk in public and having a few drinks in public are two very different things. No glass containers is a good idea though

Frankly I've been doing it for years anyway. I'm just not an a-hole sop it's never an issue

Last edited by btimbit; 01-20-2019 at 10:07 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #25
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

So reading through the OT threads I see that Calgary has legal cannabis, $25 day care, and may soon allow drinking in public. Time to find FireGilbert a job, I'm moving back to Calgary!
Old 01-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #26
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished a couple beers, but Im here to say hell no.

-booking a park site, or just finding a non reserved spot, is difficult enough as it is on a nice summer day, and there is no reason to try and draw more people in. The parks are busy enough
- the goons are going to drink at a city park regardless of what the rules are, but there is no reason we should try and draw more bros and dudes in. These groups are loud and annoying enough as it. Allowing unrestricted booze will raise the d bag level to 11.
- there are already enough places for people to drink. So quit being a lush and wait till you get home or to the pub.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #27
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post

-booking a park site, or just finding a non reserved spot, is difficult enough as it is on a nice summer day, and there is no reason to try and draw more people in. The parks are busy enough
- the goons are going to drink at a city park regardless of what the rules are, but there is no reason we should try and draw more bros and dudes in. These groups are loud and annoying enough as it. Allowing unrestricted booze will raise the d bag level to 11.
- there are already enough places for people to drink. So quit being a lush and wait till you get home or to the pub.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #28
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Meh, in my 30s and beer is one of my favorite things. But I enjoy the family atmosphere of city parks as well

But my main reason by far is the parks are busy enough as it is and no reason to try and draw more people in.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 01-25-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #29
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not sure that not allowing alcohol has kept this group away. I think your fears are unfounded - you have to book ahead in many places already anyway.

Of course there's no way to really know.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:35 AM   #30
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Wait, you can ‘book’ places in city parks? Like where? Which parks? How does that work, is there a website? What are the facilities like at these places?
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:03 AM   #31
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Wait, you can ‘book’ places in city parks? Like where? Which parks? How does that work, is there a website? What are the facilities like at these places?
Yup. You can 'rent' slices of them for variable periods of time. When my wife and I got married, we did it in Confederation Park. As I recall, we called 311 for details, but had to go to some dept in City Hall to actually pick the part we wanted.

City Hall has a map of Confed Park, sliced up into 'lots'. You can 'rent' a lot. It wasn't very expensive, cost something like $40 for the 3 hours we rented to make sure we'd have set up, ceremony and tear down time. But it did also give us exclusive use of that slice of the park. It was just a slice of grassy area with a bit of the brook in it, though. I think all slices end at the various paths, so those stay public use.

The 'facilities' were 'as is'...so we got a chunk of grass with some trees on it. It was pretty neat, honestly.

Granted, this was the process about 10 years ago. May have changed since then.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #32
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Meh, in my 30s and beer is one of my favorite things. But I enjoy the family atmosphere of city parks as well

But my main reason by far is the parks are busy enough as it is and no reason to try and draw more people in.
That's why it should be allowed everywhere, not just in parks
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #33
trew
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
That's why it should be allowed everywhere, not just in parks
Totally agree. Reading between the lines of the survey, it seems like the city is trying to create some extra revenue by creating special party zones and then taxing people to use them. (Triple fees during Stampede!)

This amounts to a sort of implicit invitation for disorderly conduct, for a fee.

I want less regulation and taxation on alcohol; not more.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #34
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Concentrating in legal locations is a bad idea. I don’t Mod the current selective enforcement policy.

What Id prefer is that it’s just legal everywhere. My kids playing at a park. I can have a beer in the sun sitting on the bench. I’m watching my kids soccer game, beer on the sidelines. I’m playing slow pitch beer on the bench.

When I right a post like that it sounds like I’m an alcoholic by I much prefer having a beer while doing something then the system we have now where you have to go to drink.

One of the coolest things in SAN Francisco was Mission Delores park which is just outside of downtown up a hill and has an amazing view of downtown the bay. People come there for lunch drink while their kids play in the playground below. We have this wired belief that the drinking activity should be separate from the rest of activities and I think that promotes problem drinking.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #35
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

'Let's grow up': Jason Kenney promises new liquor rules if UCP elected

Quote:
“In the summer time, you’re on the patio and you’ve got a beer. It shouldn’t be an offence for you to step outside if you’re having a smoke or greeting a friend,” he added.

He also said Albertans should be able to walk around street festivals with beer.

“You can do that in every country in Europe safely,” he said. “Let’s grow up.”
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambeburger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #36
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

About bloody time, hopefully this is a policy for whatever ruling party Alberta gets.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #37
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think Kenney is a two faced sack of #### that will say anything to get elected.

But, yeah about time.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #38
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Yup. You can 'rent' slices of them for variable periods of time. When my wife and I got married, we did it in Confederation Park. As I recall, we called 311 for details, but had to go to some dept in City Hall to actually pick the part we wanted.
Our family did something similar last summer. Grandparents in from the Philippines, cousins and relatives coming for celebration. Saved a couple fire pit spots and picnic areas at Bowness Park.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #39
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you really think the dudebros are clamoring to go have a picnic in the park with a few cases of Anheuser-Busch swill? Seriously, that is the most ridiculous of all the edge cases I've heard people come up with to shoot down this idea. I'm just shocked it came from someone in my generation.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #40
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

After visiting New Orleans last month, where you can even jump on public transit (the historic street cars anyway) with an adult beverage, I'm in full support of this.

Weed legal and now this..living in the future is fun!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottoms up , cold one