Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #21
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
43. John Tavares
Wow, good catch. I scanned the list like three times too.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:54 PM   #22
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since its based on just this seasons play it's kind of true.

Forwards have all been pretty disappointing with none of them in the top 50 of league scoring among forwards.

None of our d-men have been very good this year individually with Gio having a step back from last year.

Rittich has been good but still not sure I'd have him top 10 among goalies in the league this year.

Seems about right to me.

One of the biggest issues with the team this year is that our stars haven't really played like starts, and I think that's fairly represented in this list.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #23
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Weren't you the guy saying Monahan/Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tkachuk aren't top line players? Solely based on this year?
My comment relate to the fact that that a suggestion was made that Calgary would have two #1 lines going forward.

I didn't say they (or some of them)weren't #1 line type players. I was saying that a current line of Johnny, Monny and Kapannen is not currently what people consider a #1 line.

I made no comment on individual players.

This list purports to be the top players in the NHl, while it's really a list of who is playing the best right now, hence my comment.

I'm not sure how that really relates to "a first line".

I don't believe Tkachuk has been one of the top 50 players in the NHL this season. But he would rank on my list of top 50 players in the NHL. I likely would say the same for Lindholm.

Last edited by The Cobra; 01-22-2020 at 03:10 PM.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
My comment relate to the fact that that a suggestion was made that Calgary would have two #1 lines going forward.

I didn't say they (or some of them)weren't #1 line type players. I was saying that a current line of Johnny, Monny and Kapannen is not currently what people consider a #1 line.

I made no comment on individual players.

This list purports to be the top players in the NHl, while it's really a list of who is playing the best right now, hence my comment.

I'm not sure how that really relates to "a first line".

I don't believe Tkachuk has been one of the top 50 players in the NHL this season. But he would rank on my list of top 50 players in the NHL. I likely would say the same for Lindholm.
I would say given the numbers that all the forwards in any given list of the top 50 players are top line players.

Now, is Johnny playing like a top line player? No. Is Johnny a top line player? Yes. Same, to a lesser degree for Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm. And like a lot of teams, if you add a good player to a pair of top line players, you have a number one line. If Bergeron and Marchand have a bad year, I still think they and Pasternak are a number one line.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #25
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draisaitl is fourth. That is absurd.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think any Flames deserve to make the list but it's impressive that they can be a point out of 1st in the division with no players having career seasons (Rittich I suppose although his stats are pretty average relative to his peers) and very few even meeting their career norms. Most of it has to do with the team's collective talent being better than the rest of the division than it does anything else.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #27
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

9M gifted arbitration case for a non top 50 player in 2 years. Honestly half kidding but half serious.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:33 PM   #28
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
It’s too bad Rittich couldn’t squeeze in there somehow with the season he is having.
22nd in GAA, 19th in save percentage, 6th in wins... it's not that special
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #29
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm could/should be there but its obviously 100% about scoring stats

its actually not a bad thing to consider how much the Flames have under performed yet they are still in a playoff spot and well within striking distance of first
Old 01-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #30
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Banner raising imminent.

Just click bait for TSN where they can then get page views and all of their talent to have a round table on the the subject. Will do their best to try and give more credibility for the list, as well ask Leaf players and Oiler players next practice, and am sure a follow up article about if the snub of a certain player not on this list will motivate them to play better down the stretch.

Last edited by browna; 01-22-2020 at 08:53 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:54 PM   #31
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think any Flames deserve to make the list but it's impressive that they can be a point out of 1st in the division with no players having career seasons (Rittich I suppose although his stats are pretty average relative to his peers) and very few even meeting their career norms. Most of it has to do with the team's collective talent being better than the rest of the division than it does anything else.

It really has to do with being in a very poor division and a great shoot out record.

Only 6 teams in the league have a worse goal differential than the Flames.

The Flames are, in reality, a very much below average team this year.

There talent level should be much better than that, so there is hope for sure.

And I agree they likely have more talent than anyone else in the division.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:04 PM   #32
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
It really has to do with being in a very poor division and a great shoot out record.

Only 6 teams in the league have a worse goal differential than the Flames.

The Flames are, in reality, a very much below average team this year.

There talent level should be much better than that, so there is hope for sure.

And I agree they likely have more talent than anyone else in the division.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They would still be in a playoff spot if they were in the central and have dominated the east...only thing out of the question if they were in another division would be first place

I'm not saying the Flames have had a good season but this idea that they would be out of it if not for the Pacific is false
Old 01-22-2020, 09:14 PM   #33
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They would still be in a playoff spot if they were in the central and have dominated the east...only thing out of the question if they were in another division would be first place

I'm not saying the Flames have had a good season but this idea that they would be out of it if not for the Pacific is false
Not to reiterate a previous post, but the Flames team plus minus differential is a huge concern when it comes to predicting whether they’ll be a playoff team.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #34
calbow
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
He sits at -14 to boot..
calbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:06 PM   #35
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Not to reiterate a previous post, but the Flames team plus minus differential is a huge concern when it comes to predicting whether they’ll be a playoff team.
Not to me...looking at their schedule and who they have to be better than after the all star break I am pretty confident they are going to be a playoff team

Jets, Hawks, Wild, don't scare me at all...Never mind the pacific teams
Old 01-22-2020, 11:17 PM   #36
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not to me...looking at their schedule and who they have to be better than after the all star break I am pretty confident they are going to be a playoff team

Jets, Hawks, Wild, don't scare me at all...Never mind the pacific teams
I agree and I always like your optimism, but man, this team plays some baffling games of hockey. Here's hoping they get it together!
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:24 AM   #37
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I agree and I always like your optimism, but man, this team plays some baffling games of hockey. Here's hoping they get it together!
Well yeah they have played terribly and almost everything has went worse than expected...yet they are in a spot

People think I'm so optimistic but its just the reality of the situation, they are likely to make the playoffs

I have been saying since summer they need an upgrade at forward though...but I also think they are most likely to improve out of the "bubble" teams
Old 01-23-2020, 01:41 AM   #38
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Makar 29th
Hughes No.

Lolwut

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:12 AM   #39
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's the elite minus stats.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lindholm could/should be there but its obviously 100% about scoring stats

its actually not a bad thing to consider how much the Flames have under performed yet they are still in a playoff spot and well within striking distance of first
Yeah, I likened it elsewhere to being tied after two periods when you don't really deserve it. Then you go out and close out the win with a solid third.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote