Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2020, 07:59 AM   #1
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Furnace replacement

Tapping into the CP hive mind again...

My mom’s 40 year old furnace died yesterday and I have finally convinced her that a repair is unlikely and we need to get it replaced ASAP. Any recommendations for an “emergency” furnace install company?
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:04 AM   #2
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Talk to Everlast.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:06 AM   #3
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used Action Furnace before and they were top notch for service.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestions!

A few years back, everlast suggested Williams Heating, so I contacted them first, but the best they can do is tomorrow. Called around and that’s as good as we’re going to do, so the guy doing the quote will bring some extra heaters today to help get us through the day/night.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the fall, Everlast suggested Chestermere Heating and Cooling for me. They were really good and got everything taken care of fairly promptly (it wasn't a rush job, so it was fine that way).
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to add to this if I may- are there better deals to be found if you do a replacement in spring/summer when things are presumably quieter?

We have a 40yr furnace that is functioning ok, but a failure in harsh weather would be awful. Hearing it run non stop in this weather, and needing to be at 22 or 23 for the house to be comfortable, has me thinking it is time.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 01-16-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Just to add to this if I may- are there better deals to be found if you do a replacement in spring/summer when things are presumably quieter?

We have a 40yr furnace that is functioning ok, but a failure in harsh weather would be awful. Hearing it run non stop in this weather, and needing to be at 22 or 23 for the house to be comfortable, has me thinking it is time.
I'd imagine summer is just as busy with A/C installs. So maybe shoulder season is best?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post

Get it inspected if nothing else. My friends old furnace was functioning fine until the Heat Exchenger perforated and filled his house with CO. Very nearly a tragedy as he had no CO detectors at the time.

I'll take any opportunity to tell this story and suggest CO detectors for everyone.

Last edited by prarieboy; 01-16-2020 at 10:40 AM. Reason: corrected CO2 to CO
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

CO2, or CO?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
In the fall, Everlast suggested Chestermere Heating and Cooling for me. They were really good and got everything taken care of fairly promptly (it wasn't a rush job, so it was fine that way).
Funny enough, I've had both Williams and Chestermere do work for me, Williams for an "emergency call out" and Chestermere for a new install. I'd happily recommend either.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #11
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
CO2, or CO?
CO. Thanks for the correction
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #12
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
Get it inspected if nothing else. My friends old furnace was functioning fine until the Heat Exchenger perforated and filled his house with CO2. Very nearly a tragedy as he had no CO2 detectors at the time.

I'll take any opportunity to tell this story and suggest CO2 detectors for everyone.
Ya, every smoke detector in our house is also a CO and Im pretty diligent at testing, replacing as needed etc.

I do frequently hear the old furnace loyalists with their "they don't make 'em like they used to" argument, but hearing about several furnace failures this week has me thinking it is time.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #13
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!

A few years back, everlast suggested Williams Heating, so I contacted them first, but the best they can do is tomorrow. Called around and that’s as good as we’re going to do, so the guy doing the quote will bring some extra heaters today to help get us through the day/night.
This right here would be enough for me to give them my money
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #14
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yah, totally! In fairness, I’ve been a good customer as I’ve bought a furnace and an AC unit off of them and then ANOTHER ac unit after a buck decided to destroy my brand new one. They have always been great to deal with.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #15
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Yah, totally! In fairness, I’ve been a good customer as I’ve bought a furnace and an AC unit off of them and then ANOTHER ac unit after a buck decided to destroy my brand new one. They have always been great to deal with.
This sounds like a good story.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #16
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It’s quite the story.

Last spring did my usual walk around our property to see how many trees came down over winter and as I was walking back to the house I noticed the ac cover was all banged up. I was kind of ticked as it was brand new and figured it was just the wind that ripped it up. Upon further inspection, there are holes throughout the cover and the unit. Seriously looked like someone used it for target practice. The bugger even hit it so hard it almost knocked it off the bracket and bent everything to crap.

Called insurance and they had only heard of an animal wrecking a unit once before....I guess a squirrel destroyed an ac unit by chewing through a bunch of the electric internals. Thankfully, it did end up being covered by insurance. I have quite a red neck solution for it this year; two saw horses are standing guard hoping to provide enough of a disincentive for Mr. Buck. Funny enough, we have an absolute stud of a buck hanging around this year; he’s as big as I’ve ever seen. So every time we meet I tell him directly “leave my AC unit alone and I won’t tell the hunters where you live!”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #17
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Atco does free inspections our furnace is 28 years old so this is something I am curious about and worried of it going on a day like this!

Last edited by Twitchy15; 01-16-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Twitchy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #18
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes, the key thing to remember with the Atco tech is they are pretty limited on what they can fix or repair. It is awesome they are free, but definitely should not be your first call on a brutal cold day like yesterday unless you suspect it’s a gas issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #19
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If your Mom lives in NW Calgary or west of the city, Royal Mechanical Services in Cochrane is wonderful to deal with. I have had good experience whenever I called them

http://royalmechanicalservices.com
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #20
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

What brands have you guys got and worked well / were reliable?
Twitchy15 is offline   Reply With Quote