Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Buying a Canon DSLR - XSi kit vs. T1i - help?

So I'm considering treating myself (and my fiancee) to a DSLR camera this Christmas... This will be our first DSLR camera. We're not looking to really get "into photography", but we do like to take pictures when we go on vacations or daytrips or whatnot. The Camera Store has these two deals which seem to be both in my price range and offering what I'm after:

Rebel XSi 18-55mm & 75-300mm Kit

Rebel T1i with 18-55mm

Basically the same price... but you get the zoom lens (with a nice range) in the XSi kit.

The main differences between the XSi & T1i seem to be:
  • HD video on the T1i. <-- would be something I'd use for sure, but have heard it's not as good as it could be. Low audio quality etc.
  • HDMI port on the T1i. <-- nice
  • 3 extra megapixels on the T1i. <-- the likelyhood of me needing that extra quality is minimal. Albeit a cool feature to have.
  • Higher LCD resolution on the T1i. <-- who cares.
  • Digic 4 processor vs. Digic 3. <-- ???
  • "Creative Auto" mode on the T1i. <-- photoshop-like features right on the camera... though odds are if I want to add those effects I'd do it in photoshop anyway.

So basically my question is... is the T1i worth it over the XSi? The only feature that's really swaying me is the HD video. The rest seem like fluff especially compared to getting an extra lens with the XSi kit.

Any photographer gurus care to provide their 2 cents? Or if neither of these "deals" are really a deal that'd be good to know too. I've only really started looking in the past week or two, these prices just seem lower than what I've seen elsewhere.

Thanks.

Last edited by Icon; 12-04-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Icon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Better deal at Future Shop:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/cla...EN&catid=26295

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair enough... the T1i's a bit cheaper there... saving $20 doesn't really help on deciding between the options though :P
Old 12-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Neither lens on the xSi is image stabilized. In the 18-55 that may not matter as much, except if shooting in any sort of low light, but on the zoom, no IS may lead to blurrier shots. I picked up an image stabilized 18-200 Sigma lens for my rebel for less than 300. Also the non-IS kit 18-55 lens with the xSi is likely a lower quality optically than the IS 18-55 you're getting with the XT (although that may be debatable) Given the diference, I'd probably pick the XT and save up for a decent IS zoom lens. That way you're getting the better video, the next generation of image processor and IS lens. The image processor is an important consideration. The DIGIC 4 allows for faster writing to your memory card and faster processing, meaning more shots per second which is great for sports. I believe that the DIGIC 4 also has better noise reduction, meaning better shots in low light and if you zoom in on them. The nice thing about having more megapixels is that if you are taking a shot and can't soom in as far as you like, having more MP allows you to do a zoom crop without losing detail as fast. Even if you're not going to bve a superstar photograper, you may appreciate the ability to zoom in on a more interesting area of a photo to print.

Still, it is definitely nice to have that zoom lens in your kit, and you're the one spending the money....
Old 12-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the record, I got Mrs. Impaler the T1i for Xmas, but we haven't played around with it enough yet to offer any sort of opinion. Just wanted to point you to a better deal. I basically went with 12_34's reasoning - we like to travel to interesting locales, and the extra image quality is worth it for us, even though we are nowhere near professional photogs.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
Neither lens on the xSi is image stabilized. In the 18-55 that may not matter as much, except if shooting in any sort of low light, but on the zoom, no IS may lead to blurrier shots. I picked up an image stabilized 18-200 Sigma lens for my rebel for less than 300. Also the non-IS kit 18-55 lens with the xSi is likely a lower quality optically than the IS 18-55 you're getting with the XT (although that may be debatable) Given the diference, I'd probably pick the XT and save up for a decent IS zoom lens. That way you're getting the better video, the next generation of image processor and IS lens. The image processor is an important consideration. The DIGIC 4 allows for faster writing to your memory card and faster processing, meaning more shots per second which is great for sports. I believe that the DIGIC 4 also has better noise reduction, meaning better shots in low light and if you zoom in on them. The nice thing about having more megapixels is that if you are taking a shot and can't soom in as far as you like, having more MP allows you to do a zoom crop without losing detail as fast. Even if you're not going to bve a superstar photograper, you may appreciate the ability to zoom in on a more interesting area of a photo to print.

Still, it is definitely nice to have that zoom lens in your kit, and you're the one spending the money....
the camera store link indicates the 18-55 is image stabilized. The 70-300 is not thought.

The video is ultimately the key here, if you want video (and it takes amazing video), go for the T1i.

The LCd screen on the T1i is also very very nice. It gives a much better representation on the image you just took. Useful if you want to get the depth of field just right.

The new processor will help with low light/night imaging and process you shot faster.

I have the XSi but i would recommend going for the T1i. The features are much nicer and if you need the extra zoom in the future, you can pick up a lense second hand.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

keep your eye on the dell days of deals thread

they usually have a camera kit in these, maybe you'll get lucky.
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, in the last DSLR thread, someone posted that Best Buy will match offers and beat them by 10%.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

T1i is the better buy, already mentioned but with a 75-300 you really will want IS and it would be worth the money to go that route down the road. Any long telephoto its important to have image stabilization even though people took great photos without it for decades. IS will give a little more freedom with shutter speeds and a little more versatility on the fly. I will also mention that higher LCD resolution is a huge difference if you want to see your level of detail right away.

No matter how good the body is it will always come down to lenses and that is one area where money is well invested.
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I don't have any experience with either of these two, my wife and I have a Canon 5D Mk 2, and we use it for HD video a lot; any time you use a DSLR for video, you're going to have a few issues with the audio; particularly, you'll pick up noise from any lense adjustments you make. If you find yourself doing a lot of video that you're picking up audio for, look into whether either of these have a jack for an external mic. A decent mic with a dead kitten mounted on your camera will give you a much better result than the built-in microphone.

Also, have a look at vimeo at stuff shot with the T1i. I find there's pretty good discussion there about camera video capabilities.
http://www.vimeo.com/videos/search:T1i%20canon

Last edited by octothorp; 12-04-2009 at 03:18 PM.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what you're saying is I need to kill a kitten?... k, on it.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Also, in the last DSLR thread, someone posted that Best Buy will match offers and beat them by 10%.
That was me, but I Didn't bother to check BB's website to offer that advice again this time.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
the camera store link indicates the 18-55 is image stabilized. The 70-300 is not thought.

The video is ultimately the key here, if you want video (and it takes amazing video), go for the T1i.

The LCd screen on the T1i is also very very nice. It gives a much better representation on the image you just took. Useful if you want to get the depth of field just right.

The new processor will help with low light/night imaging and process you shot faster.

I have the XSi but i would recommend going for the T1i. The features are much nicer and if you need the extra zoom in the future, you can pick up a lense second hand.
I stand corrected on that one lens, I didn't read down far enough in the fine print to see that the 18-55 with the XSI is stabilized. I guess that would make the decision a little tougher but still think the upgrade in MP, LCD, and Processor especially make the T1i the better bet IMO. Oh yeah, and the HD video is nice too I'm sure, but I bought an HD camcorder and my Rebel is a couple of years old and doesn't do video at all so I can't really comment other than to say that, for me, the audio quality isn't really that critical anyway, having that beautiful 1080p picture makes up for audio quibbles. The camcorder I bought does 1080p60 video at a bargain price but doesn't allow hookup of an external mike. I wouldn't dream of going the other way now that I've had it for awhile. If it was that important, you could pick up a standalone mike and recorder and mix it on the computer anyway.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
I stand corrected on that one lens, I didn't read down far enough in the fine print to see that the 18-55 with the XSI is stabilized. I guess that would make the decision a little tougher but still think the upgrade in MP, LCD, and Processor especially make the T1i the better bet IMO. Oh yeah, and the HD video is nice too I'm sure, but I bought an HD camcorder and my Rebel is a couple of years old and doesn't do video at all so I can't really comment other than to say that, for me, the audio quality isn't really that critical anyway, having that beautiful 1080p picture makes up for audio quibbles. The camcorder I bought does 1080p60 video at a bargain price but doesn't allow hookup of an external mike. I wouldn't dream of going the other way now that I've had it for awhile. If it was that important, you could pick up a standalone mike and recorder and mix it on the computer anyway.
I agree. The T1i is the better buy (as you mentioned, the HD video, LCD and processor). Makes me want to upgrade to that (or the 7D if I had the cash).
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #15
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

T1 for sure. I'd put aside a little bit each month and grab a longer IS lens for the summer.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #16
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
keep your eye on the dell days of deals thread

they usually have a camera kit in these, maybe you'll get lucky.
it's there today

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topi...hs1&l=en&s=dhs
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #17
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Honestly nothing wrong with the XSi for a first camera. Still using mine after a year and still don't have a need to upgrade. I still don't like the dideo on a DSLR.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #18
Doctordestiny
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
How easy is it and where does one buy a second-hand lens? Do they have them at the stores as trade ins?
Doctordestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #19
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
So what you're saying is I need to kill a kitten?... k, on it.
Dead kitten:

very useful if you're using an external mic. Really cuts down on camera sounds and external sounds like wind whistling against the mic. If audio quality is an important consideration, get one for any external mic that you have.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #20
Guest1

I thought I remembered my photography instructor saying that these guys do second hand. They also rent (to try stuff out)

http://www.thecamerastore.com/

Tags
camera , canon , dslr , t1i , xsi