Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Quarry Park

Only really found out about this community about 4 month ago. I'm looking for any information you may have about it such as:

- current listings
- average selling price
- size
- maximum density threshold

I looked up Quarry Park on mls and couldn't find any listing but figured they are probably going through the developers at this early stage. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help you may provide.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cardelhomes.com/calgary/c...s/quarry-park/
Old 01-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

They are calling it one of the "greenest" comunities in the province as it is located on brownfield land.
Built around the whole work and live in the same community concept with all sorts of job opportunities.
Cardel and Birchwood appear to be the developer/builders of the entire area.
You can have the new community feel without living on the outskirts of the city!
I personally do not see any downsides to Quarry Park.
There are currently no MLS listings in the area.
Feel free to PM me if you are looking for more information.
Are you thinking of buying built or building?

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 01-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Patrick
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The downside is homes built by Cardel.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Everyone will always find a downside to any builder
For every one person who states they like a builder you will find 5 that dislike the same builder.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 01-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
tigger777
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It's a former landfill site.

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2009/10...ble-materials/
Old 01-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger777 View Post
Thats a large hill east of the development. The part with the homes and offices used to be a rock quarry.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

^^ correct,
Former gravel extraction site.
What would you prefer, living near a ex landfill or living near a landfill ie newer sections around chaparral. This is not a sarcastic remark but more of a serious one.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 01-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picture the Flintstones living there.

"Built around the whole work and live in the same community concept with all sorts of job opportunities."

I know this is something nice to put in the marketing materials, but really? Is this going to really be any different than any other community in Calgary where most of the residents go downtown to work every day? It's not like people are going to quit their jobs to go live there, and it's not like it's going to become a "company town" type place where the only residents are those who work in the area.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There is price premium though? Some houses are 2 minutes walk from work. Might be worthwhile if you are going to be living close to work for a good number of years. But if you don't live the area I don't see the upside of living there.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I work in Quarry Park, its a very nice area. But the traffic design is just crap.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
str8jkt
Draft Pick

I live in Quarry Park. Feel free to PM me or post up any specific questions you may have. I am in one of the houses that was built in the first phase..
Old 01-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

How ironic that the the City of Calgary tells people to throw their batteries in the garbage, and the landfill they all went to for so many years is closest in proximity to "Copperfield."

Now another community right next to a landfill. Hope you test your soil!

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I picture the Flintstones living there.

"Built around the whole work and live in the same community concept with all sorts of job opportunities."

I know this is something nice to put in the marketing materials, but really? Is this going to really be any different than any other community in Calgary where most of the residents go downtown to work every day? It's not like people are going to quit their jobs to go live there, and it's not like it's going to become a "company town" type place where the only residents are those who work in the area.
Dude, if you'd been down there you'd see that there really are a lot of jobs right in the neighbourhood.
AMEC, Jacobs, and Bayer all have pretty big offices there, so there's going to be a lot of opportunity for people to live pretty close to where they work.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #15
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not like those companies are going to have a policy that they'll only hire people who live in the neighbourhood, and there's not going to be a requirement that you have to work in the area in order to buy a house there.

It's all fine and dandy to say that people will be able to live and work in the same area (and I'm sure some people will), but the reality is that people will live there who work in other parts of the city and people will work there who live all over the city...just like every other part of the city.

Do you know many people who move every time they get a new job or get a new job every time they move? I don't. In my experience, people change jobs a lot more frequently than they move.

It's just marketing fluff. At the end of the day, every new neighbourhood promotes itself as unique and revolutionary, but they all turn out the same in the end.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I'd ever move there. It's built in the Flood Fringe and while they have put measures (berms) in place, it's arguable whether or not they would sufficiently be able to contain a significant storm event. And once flooded it looks like it would act as a giant bathtub with nowhere to drain.

Flood Fringe Map

Just note that the developer and City did do a lot of work to study the effects of a storm event and the above just represents my opinion based on the facts surrounding the development.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #17
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would love to live there. I love riverbend where I grew up is right next door. Lots of schools close for the kids se lrt station is going to be just around the corner 10 min walk at most. Has all major food stores some good resturants and Oj's for a pub no more monoploy for Riverbend station. You get a new home in a great community I like it. Of course some people can't stand the airplanes that fly over head since it is under a flight path. Close to parks and cross roads of calgarys major roads of deerfoot and glenmore. But of course I am extremely biased since I love the area. I have a rental prop in riverbend and in 10-15 years it will probably be a toss up of buying in quarry park or gutting the rental prop and living there
Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #18
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Where exactly is quarry park?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #19
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

between douglasglen and riverbend across river from deerfoot
Old 01-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #20
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It's not like those companies are going to have a policy that they'll only hire people who live in the neighbourhood, and there's not going to be a requirement that you have to work in the area in order to buy a house there.

It's all fine and dandy to say that people will be able to live and work in the same area (and I'm sure some people will), but the reality is that people will live there who work in other parts of the city and people will work there who live all over the city...just like every other part of the city.

Do you know many people who move every time they get a new job or get a new job every time they move? I don't. In my experience, people change jobs a lot more frequently than they move.

It's just marketing fluff. At the end of the day, every new neighbourhood promotes itself as unique and revolutionary, but they all turn out the same in the end.
Well of course there's going to be people who live or work somewhere other than Quarry park. The point is, the commuinity has three pretty large companies setting up offices as a part of the community. There's going to be a pretty large number of decently paid white collar people in the area who would be interested in a house in that area.
I would almost never move because I changed jobs, because pretty much no matter what I'm gonna be working downtown. Changing jobs, for the most part doesn't change where I work.
But if I decided to go work for AMEC or Jacobs, then I most certainly would look at moving to Quarry Park.