Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Basement permits

I’m trying to help a friend who’s selling their house. The basement was developed without permits before they bought it and now it is a sticking point when they are going to sell. Two questions:
1) it’s pretty common knowledge to make sure all work was done correctly and permitted, right?
2) has anyone had to get permits after the fact? Looks like just the permits will be around $1K and then any work required to bring it up to code will be on top of that?
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
FleuryFan89
Draft Pick

Common knowledge permits are needed to develop a basement. However I would say 50 percent of basements currently developed are done without permits.

Permits after the fact happen all the time. I assume it is in Calgary. Now how much work needs to be done depends on the year done and inspectors that come in and of course if it was up to code at the time. Electrical may be the biggest area of cost depending on when it was done.

Last edited by FleuryFan89; 10-11-2020 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
FleuryFan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:39 PM   #3
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same situation for a friend of mine. The price of the house has to reflect the unpermitted work. If there ever is an insurance claim it would not cover the cost to replace what you had in the basement. In hot markets no one really cares. But it could cost them a discount in a slow market.

Getting permits now really does depend on the inspector. I'm wondering if hiring a larger electrical company to pull the permits might be an effective strategy. Inspectors tend to rubber stamp the work done by reliable companies they know well. They would be able to bring any deficiencies up to code as well.

Also depends on the extent of the build. Did they add windows or anything? Kitchen? All that stuff makes it more complicated.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.calgary.ca/pda/pd/myhome/inspections.html Scroll down to existing construction.

A basement permit is $345
https://www.calgary.ca/pda/pd/home-b...velopment.html Your friend can apply for this permit.

Your friend will to need to hire a licensed plumber / electrician / mechanical / gas (whichever applies) contractor to apply for the permits. Those are start $116 for each permit.
https://www.calgary.ca/pda/pd/home-b...ting-tips.html
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:53 AM   #5
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think a homeowner can pull any permit except for gas. But if you're having a contractor do the work, I'd imagine the permit is part of the quote.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #6
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I think a homeowner can pull any permit except for gas. But if you're having a contractor do the work, I'd imagine the permit is part of the quote.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
A homeowner can only pull an electrical or plumbing permit. Can't pull gas or mechanical and can't pull a permit for concealed trade work.
https://www.calgary.ca/pda/pd/home-b...s-permits.html
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #7
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any advice for a developed basement that only has partial permits? Permits pulled for electrical and gas (with signed off inspection) but not plumbing and not for the overall development (building permit?).
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #8
jonesy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Getting the permit is not the problem. It is the inspection that could be dicey. Some municipalities (ex: MH) will make you tear down far enough for the inspector to properly check for electrical compliance.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:30 PM   #9
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for all the info folks! So yah, it seems like she’s pretty well screwed. The buyer is quoting insurance reasons for requiring the permits, which is fair.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote