Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2020, 06:17 AM   #61
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loob job View Post
If they boycott and don't play, people will talk about it for about two days, nothing will change and within a week no one will be talking about it and life will be going on as normal until the next time a black kid gets shot by the police. Sports not playing isn't going to change anything. Government needs to change things. Weirdest quote i heard yesterday was an nba player saying "Kneeling for the anthem hasn't done anything so we need to do something else".
Do they really think a white cop in wisconsin when dealing with a person is thinking about an nba player kneeling?
It's about the attention that it brings.

If they do absolutely nothing and go about their business, what will change then?

At least they are generating conversation and awareness.

Doing nothing has been everyone's answer for too long now. The world isn't going to change all at once, little pushes like this is what initiates change.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:20 AM   #62
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion, keeping up appearances is a bad reason to cancel games. The NBA players are boycotting because they are passionate about the issue. The NHL players would just be boycotting because it would look bad if they didn't.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 06:22 AM   #63
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
In my opinion, keeping up appearances is a bad reason to cancel games. The NBA players are boycotting because they are passionate about the issue. The NHL players would just be boycotting because it would look bad if they didn't.
Because they’re mostly white? I don’t understand splitting the sports due to the majority of the race that plays them. The movement is asking for unity and support.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:30 AM   #64
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a year....

There is no right answer to this. People are going to be mad either way. The league has to do what is best for the league, and that's to keep playing. Its either possible people off and make money or just piss people off. The league will make some gesture like they already did, people will cringe and critique, then they'll keep playing hockey.

This sucks because its creating even more of a divide.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:33 AM   #65
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
What a year....

There is no right answer to this. People are going to be mad either way. The league has to do what is best for the league, and that's to keep playing. Its either possible people off and make money or just piss people off. The league will make some gesture like they already did, people will cringe and critique, then they'll keep playing hockey.

This sucks because its creating even more of a divide.
If they cancel games and fans get mad, it's because they are selfish.

Is it creating a divide or making the ignorance of some more apparent?
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 06:36 AM   #66
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the NHL racism doesn't affect the majority and if it doesn't affect you, most people choose to ignore it. Plain and simple.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #67
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
In the NHL racism doesn't affect the majority and if it doesn't affect you, most people choose to ignore it. Plain and simple.
It’s the crux of the whole issue. I understand the argument that empty postponement of games does little to help. But isn’t the fact that most of the population doesn’t deal with these issues the reason there is such division on the matter?
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 06:46 AM   #68
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Because they’re mostly white? I don’t understand splitting the sports due to the majority of the race that plays them. The movement is asking for unity and support.
Uhh we know that NBA players are extremely passionate about the issue because they told us they were. They chose to walk out of last night's games, which is why they were cancelled. They negotiated having BLM slogans on their jerseys.

I think NHL players should be allowed to boycott games but I don't believe they are under any moral obligation to.

Probably not a popular opinion on either side...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 06:54 AM   #69
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Uhh we know that NBA players are extremely passionate about the issue because they told us they were. They chose to walk out of last night's games, which is why they were cancelled. They negotiated having BLM slogans on their jerseys.

I think NHL players should be allowed to boycott games but I don't believe they are under any moral obligation to.

Probably not a popular opinion on either side...
Not under any moral obligation to. But your post said they would ‘only’ be doing it because they would look bad if they didn’t. I don’t understand how you reached that conclusion for the hundreds of NHL players.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:59 AM   #70
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I said it then and will say it now. Allowing Kapernicks antics has politicized sports.

After the Olympics in Mexico politics at medal presentations was banned. The Academy Awards banned making political statements at awards.

This stuff just happened again. Has all the rioting solved anything? Nope, made it worse.

I don't believe for 2 seconds that pro athletes can "stop racism".

Cancel culture has solved nothing and all the well meaning folks who "protest" and peacefully are simply virtue signalling as those protests have accomplished zip over decades even going back to the LA riots.

Go ahead and "fight" racism just keep it all out of sports.

Last edited by GS Skier; 08-27-2020 at 07:08 AM.
GS Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:00 AM   #71
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If they cancel games and fans get mad, it's because they are selfish.

Is it creating a divide or making the ignorance of some more apparent?
That's a really slanted way to look at things. Maybe some people use sports as an escape and that is their way of dealing with things. Maybe people do everything they can to help and at the end of the day they want to find some kind of joy in what has been a craptastic year and they find that joy in watching hockey or other sports. Because people don't share your view, they're ignorant?

By saying there is only one way deal with things is wrong. "Only a Sith deals in absolutes"
Old 08-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #72
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Hrudey is getting some heat on Twitter for suggesting the NHL take a break to reflect.

I’m glad he did. He seems to be bleeding white guilt. Also, take everything you hear in msm with a grain of salt, they only allow you to hear/ see half the stories. There is an obvious political war going on right now, and race always plays a part in election season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:12 AM   #73
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

let's all stop working......
Old 08-27-2020, 07:12 AM   #74
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...ent-report.pdf

This is why you have a problem in the US. This ain’t about discrimination, or hate. Things aren’t what they used to be. But what we see is black lives matter doesn’t care about all black lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:16 AM   #75
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t see how any of these boycotts from any league is going to solve anything. Do people honestly think that because Lebron James stops playing that suddenly racism, a concept that has occurred in every civilization since the dawn of humans, is going to go away? Call my cynical, but unfortunately I don’t think racism will ever go away. There have always been cultures and groups that hate other cultures and groups. For whatever their stupid reasoning is, unfortunately I don’t see that ever going away. Heck, there are even groups within a specific culture that hate other groups within their culture. It is imbedded deep within the psyche and that is hard to change.

How do you stop the divide between white and black? How do you stop the Indian caste system? How do you stop the intolerance and negative portrayal of natives in Canada? How do you stop the genocide that exists in parts of Africa? How do you stop China and North Korea from seemingly hating the entire world? The list goes on...

I wish I knew the answers but this is way beyond sports and even politics. How do you get into the psyche of 7 billion people to change their way of thinking, a way that has existed since the beginning? When progress and tolerance occurs in one area, it seems to break down in another. This whole world is a mess and I think it has gotten too big to clean. Sorry for the pessimistic outlook.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:22 AM   #76
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
I don’t see how any of these boycotts from any league is going to solve anything. Do people honestly think that because Lebron James stops playing that suddenly racism, a concept that has occurred in every civilization since the dawn of humans, is going to go away? Call my cynical, but unfortunately I don’t think racism will ever go away. There have always been cultures and groups that hate other cultures and groups. For whatever their stupid reasoning is, unfortunately I don’t see that ever going away. Heck, there are even groups within a specific culture that hate other groups within their culture. It is imbedded deep within the psyche and that is hard to change.

How do you stop the divide between white and black? How do you stop the Indian caste system? How do you stop the intolerance and negative portrayal of natives in Canada? How do you stop the genocide that exists in parts of Africa? How do you stop China and North Korea from seemingly hating the entire world? The list goes on...

I wish I knew the answers but this is way beyond sports and even politics. How do you get into the psyche of 7 billion people to change their way of thinking, a way that has existed since the beginning? When progress and tolerance occurs in one area, it seems to break down in another. This whole world is a mess and I think it has gotten too big to clean. Sorry for the pessimistic outlook.
The same things were said 4 years ago about 1 player kneeling in the NFL. What's the point? Oh great he's going to kneel every time now? Yay racism is solved thanks Colin!

We're not trying to change the psyche of 7 billion people, we're trying to enact cultural change within 300 million. We've come some ways already and those most famous who stood for it have paid with their lives (e.g. MLK Jr), why stop now?

Last edited by Looch City; 08-27-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 07:24 AM   #77
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do sports not being played drive any discussion? I think most people didn't miss sports all that much when they were shut down due to Covid - what makes people think shutting down sports now will somehow drive change?

I'll be curious what the MLB teams do. They are getting their salaries so there is real money at stake there.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #78
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Not under any moral obligation to. But your post said they would ‘only’ be doing it because they would look bad if they didn’t. I don’t understand how you reached that conclusion for the hundreds of NHL players.

I suppose I can't read their minds. To me the only active NHL player that seems fired up about BLM is Matt Dumba but his team isn't playing anymore.

I actually do think the NHL will postpone tonight's games, so I'm not sure what I'm arguing about TBH. I don't think they will cancel the entire playoffs though.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:43 AM   #79
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Do sports not being played drive any discussion? I think most people didn't miss sports all that much when they were shut down due to Covid - what makes people think shutting down sports now will somehow drive change?

I'll be curious what the MLB teams do. They are getting their salaries so there is real money at stake there.
It generates conversation, which creates awareness.

It does exactly what this thread is doing....
Old 08-27-2020, 07:47 AM   #80
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It generates conversation, which creates awareness.

It does exactly what this thread is doing....
I mean if they close the bubble and everything is cancelled, is it still being talked about a week down the road?

Or are you better off using your platform to continue the dialogue? This isn't something that is going to change in weeks or months, it will take years.

I think a couple days of postponement but then returning to play and continue the dialogue is your best course of action.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:

Tags
black lives matter , boycott , politics