Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #381
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
Now THATS pure politics that has nothing to do with even this misguided and useless boycott. Go back to the CBC.
Wrong, Pence and Trump deny systemic racism exists...this boycott has everything to do with getting rid of them. Like I said it's not the only step but it's the first step. GOP is actively making it harder for black people to vote.

Go look at the NBAs plan, a large part of them agreeing to return has to do with helping people register to vote. If you honestly think this boycott has nothing to do with the current government you haven't been listening to player interviews.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #382
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Why does BLM have no place in the nhl, nba and nfl?

I think there could be some of the finer points lost when someone says they disagree with BLM politics but honestly I’ve not read many arguments that oppose BLM that aren’t just straight up racist. Or racists pretending to not be racist by using the same BS euphemisms and double speak that we’ve seen time and time again
I think it is along these lines.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Tkachuk
Cuz those people should know their place.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #383
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I think it is along these lines.........
where did it post that?
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #384
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's so unfortunate how this thread shows that within even this community how racism is still prevalent and accepted.

The questions of why sports should bother with taking a break for a couple days, are answered right here. Still so much ignorance, and dislike for those who are different from you.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 11:38 AM   #385
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Tkachuk View Post
I wonder how many people on here that support BLM being in sports have actually gone to the website, and read the section "What we believe"? I disagree with their politics, and the subsequent injection of BLM into places it has no place being (like the NHL, NBA, and NFL). I'm betting next to nobody here has done that, and they're just blindly following the mindless masses, like good little sheep. Or are they afraid they're going to be labeled as a racist if they dare disagree with the ideas of people who happen to have black skin?
The Black Lives Matter movement is decentralized. There are are a number of groups which purport to speak for it. No doubt some of those groups have platforms which include ideas or proposals that I disagree with or find downright silly. I have no fear of being labeled as a racist for disagreeing with those ideas (I've posted about some of those disagreements on another forum where I'm a member).

My disagreements with some of those ideas and proposals does not discourage me from acknowledging that system racism and systemic discrimination exists in our society or from expressing my broad support of people and groups trying to address such.

This isn't rocket science.

Last edited by Makarov; 08-28-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #386
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
It's so unfortunate how this thread shows that within even this community how racism is still prevalent and accepted.

The questions of why sports should bother with taking a break for a couple days, are answered right here. Still so much ignorance, and dislike for those who are different from you.
EA Sports' NHL series was all I needed to see what a bunch of uneducated losers the hockey community has peppered throughout it. It's not different than any other aspect of society, I imagine. Give people a veil of anonymity and vile trash flows out.

Now Dale Tallon is under investigation for racist language in the playoff bubble? That's 1 in 31 (formerly active) GMs, and 1 in 31 NHL (formerly active) head coaches in the NHL to get publicly exposed for this garbage in the last 11 months. Anyone who thinks that's an acceptable level is out of their mind - especially at the highest level of the sport.

Very clearly it's an issue, so why are people even bothering complaining?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #387
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherFace View Post
This guy gives a pretty comprehensive breakdown of the whole Kyle Rittenhouse incident with a step by step timeline, slowmos of all the shootings and alot of other details hightlighted that some might've missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbsO...ctr=1598631305
Thats not the best breakdown . Especially at the end where he tries to justify Kyles actions with the arguement " protesters have been beating people to death these past few months" . Which is consistently been a narrative on social media that odten gera removed because this has been proven a false narrative .

The closest thing to those remarks was a man in Dallas was severely injured trying to protect his business but then chased proteators down the street with a sword.

They also try to portray that narrative because of events currently happining in Portland . In Portland right now it **seems** police have given an unofficial blessing to militias to take over the handling of protesters in some situations. The tactics there are when groups like the Proud boys( White supremacy group) show up the police will with draw back from the area . The proud boys show up with Aluminum bats and will start brawling with protesters. Now this has been a problem for a few reasons. These groups have been seen and filmed interacting with the police in the same manner that Rittenhouse earlier in the evening before the shooting on nightly basis in some cases. The next controversial peice to this tho is The proud boys have as part of their mantra that cops should be killed and tortured . The optics of that alone has been troubling as it appears the cops would rather the company and * Unofficial * help of white supremacy militias that want and have tried to kill cops in the past. I touched on how in the past there is a deep connection with police getting and asking for assistance from white supremacy militias.

Its troubling to see history unfold exactly as it has before.
People protest peacefully to start, then police instigated violence, that sparks more protests, heads of government start to classify protestors as violent criminals ,that sparks further police, that causes greater protests, unfortunately when mass mass gatheringa happen it generally dissolves in parts of the protests into rioting . Rioting happens whether It's mass protesting or mass celebrations for some reason humans turn into animals in mass gatherings. Then rioting and protestors feel the need to protect them selfs from police so they can practice there first amendment rights. The militias then show up. Then the real violence starts . Then the sides fight it out just long enough that the govermnet eventually enacts juat enough changes to appease the protestors to get the violence to stop before the violence get completely steered towards the government. Then theres a time of peace where the oppression of a minority group until again protests start again and the cycle repeats itself.

This is rinse and repeat throughout American history. It's all the American system really knows. This is how there Country was founded . Oppression lead to protesting lead to government suppression which lead to arming the masses for self defense which lead to a full out war.

This has been a 245 year old cycle and just this issue alone of Black Lives Matter has almost been an issue for just as long. With the same results everytime in the last few hundred years of bringing up the issue of mistreatment of Afican Americans.

The admenments for 1 and 2 are not a coincidence.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:41 AM   #388
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
honestly CP is as good as it gets with respect to acknowledging the importance of what's going on. go anywhere else...social media, article comments, other boards, and it's way closer to 50/50 split. I actually applaud this community for being this close to what I think is the ideal consensus.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #389
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder how many people on here that support BLM being in sports have actually gone to the website, and read the section "What we believe"? I disagree with their politics, and the subsequent injection of BLM into places it has no place being (like the NHL, NBA, and NFL). I'm betting next to nobody here has done that, and they're just blindly following the mindless masses, like good little sheep. Or are they afraid they're going to be labeled as a racist if they dare disagree with the ideas of people who happen to have black skin?
https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-matters-2020/

"#BlackLivesMatter was founded in 2013 in response to the acquittal of Trayvon Martin’s murderer. Black Lives Matter Foundation, Inc is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives.

We are expansive. We are a collective of liberators who believe in an inclusive and spacious movement. We also believe that in order to win and bring as many people with us along the way, we must move beyond the narrow nationalism that is all too prevalent in Black communities. We must ensure we are building a movement that brings all of us to the front.

We affirm the lives of Black queer and trans folks, disabled folks, undocumented folks, folks with records, women, and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. Our network centers those who have been marginalized within Black liberation movements.

We are working for a world where Black lives are no longer systematically targeted for demise.

We affirm our humanity, our contributions to this society, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression."

What in particular do you have an ossue with,? Be as specific as possible.

Are you mad they are targeting white supremacy groups
Are you mad they don't wanna be killed by poilce
Are you mad they don't want to be killed by vigilantes like George Zimmerman for walkimg back from a store to get skittles? Or like the 3 Vigilantes that chased down
Ahmaud Arbery while jogging?

Like what is your disagreement with them?

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 08-28-2020 at 12:14 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #390
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
honestly CP is as good as it gets with respect to acknowledging the importance of what's going on. go anywhere else...social media, article comments, other boards, and it's way closer to 50/50 split. I actually applaud this community for being this close to what I think is the ideal consensus.
Less bots here.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #391
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Less bots here.
One zero zero one zero zero one
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #392
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Less bots here.
"Fewer" bots.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #393
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
"Fewer" bots.

Oh ffs. Thanks Textbot.

Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 11:58 AM   #394
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Two things:
1. CP is quite good, generally speaking, in terms of the majority being moderate, open, ready for discussion, etc. There are some people at the far ends of political spectrum, and some racists, and some who carry a lot of hate for other people. But there are also great people who might express some hateful or regressive positions, but are willing to listen and learn. None of us are perfect, and CP is a really great community all things considered. But it should serve as a reminder that even as a place as great as this, there are really hateful people, and it is not a problem "somewhere else," it is a problem everywhere (even if they do a lot of hiding in the shadows most of the time). Overall, I wouldn't be disappointed with this board in general, it's a reflection of reality, but a pretty positive one in most cases.

2. Early on in the thread I shared my opinion on potential NHL actions that was heavily influenced by my own experience with corporate social good measures (and that, along with some other things, has made me very jaded). But I just wanted to say thanks to all the people who shared their opinions that saw this effort as a positive. These opinions, along with what I've heard from the players, have helped me come around and appreciate the value of what they're doing.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #395
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The timeline is informative, but the "other details highlighted that some might've missed" are irrelevant discussions about possible criminal records belonging to the victims, and a lot of hand-waving at Ritterhouse's actions in justifying the murders as self-defense.

What is the most ####ed up part of what happened is the fact that several men were emboldened enough to show up and counter-protest an angry mob with assault rifles and pistols. The reason two people are dead and another seriosly wounded is that people with guns were there in the first place. I remain absolutely stupefied that this continues to be acceptable—and even lauditory—behaviour in American society. If one is carrying a gun into an unstable social situation, it is negligent or idiotic of him to fail to recognize that someone else is likely to get killed. This is why "protecting businesses" looks like nothing more than a smokescreen, because I cannot accept that any adult is actually that naive.

In the state of Wisconsin under the law they don't a protecting property law. Which I think gets highly overlooked in discussion. There is no protection or defense that allows you to use any kind of force to defend your property. If you are the owner of a business you can defend it yourself only if you are occupying the business and people have forced their way in through locked entrances and windows. The intruders have to successfully broken into your business and pose an imminent threat to your life .

Under the law the militias can't legally be there with there guns to protect anything . Under the law they can carry a weapon openly as long as theres no agenda for why they have it. It's illagal to claim to be protecting property, it's illigal for them to be out after curfew( same with the protestors to be fair) but becaise they are there with weapons and not protesting that is under Wisconsin law automatically supposed to be a charge of "causing disorderly conduct while armed".

They only legal reasons Wisconsin accepts for using a weapon is if you are in your vehicle, home or your own business and the intruders successfully breaks in and all entrances were locked .
Eg. You notice a person breaking into your car trying to steal it . You cannot legally shoot that person for trying to.steal your car. You were not occupying it so you have a duty to retreat and phone the cops instead. If you are being car jacked and they jave gotten in and pose a immediate threat to your life than the law says you can protect yourself.

The police allowing the militias there is another tool they can use to intimidate the protesters.

I'm glad the Nhl stood in Solidarity because it has allowed conversions like in this thread to take place. 2 days doesn't solve the issues but it gets things started.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 08-28-2020 at 12:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 12:08 PM   #396
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

After reading most of this thread, I find it pretty remarkable the amount of people that think Canada doesn't have heavy racism issues. Having the "only in the US" mentality.

NSFW!
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #397
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Being arrested is pretty simple, listen, do as your told, keep you hands visible.
As I white guy, I support this simple game theory argument for myself. I can also understand why it isn't so simple for POC.

You know why we get video evidence for so many of these? Because the victims vocalize the injustice and bystanders become aware (and hit record). Now, the question that nobody can answer is whether a POC would be better off giving full compliance and trusting their well-being to officers [who may or may not be detaining them for a valid reason], in a totally private environment. Plenty of cases of 'suspects' coming to significant harm during transport.

Quote:
It's possible to support most of the ideas/notions espoused by BLM organizations without supporting the specific organizations themselves (which, like many advocacy orgs, have plenty of issues). BLM is a broad umbrella with various chapters and AFAIK no broader governance.

Their 'solutions' may not be ideal, but their grievances are valid and real.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #398
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those "what will any of this accomplish?" people, this is all just 48 hours since the boycott:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1299387498708250626

https://twitter.com/user/status/1299393217633415168

Not to mention all the change and actions the NHL is expected to take.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1299410991629897728

It's embarrassing/sad/angering/etc.. to know how many toxic Flames fans there are who are so ignorant to the situation and/or are just total heartless pricks.

"Canada isn't like the US! We don't have racial injustice issues here!"

Congrats, you're literally proving you're part of the problem

Last edited by AustinL_NHL; 08-28-2020 at 12:39 PM.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #399
Darth Tkachuk
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-matters-2020/

"#BlackLivesMatter was founded in 2013 in response to the acquittal of Trayvon Martin’s murderer. Black Lives Matter Foundation, Inc is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives.

We are expansive. We are a collective of liberators who believe in an inclusive and spacious movement. We also believe that in order to win and bring as many people with us along the way, we must move beyond the narrow nationalism that is all too prevalent in Black communities. We must ensure we are building a movement that brings all of us to the front.

We affirm the lives of Black queer and trans folks, disabled folks, undocumented folks, folks with records, women, and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. Our network centers those who have been marginalized within Black liberation movements.

We are working for a world where Black lives are no longer systematically targeted for demise.

We affirm our humanity, our contributions to this society, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression."

What in particular do you have an ossue with,? Be as specific as possible.

Are you mad they are targeting white supremacy groups
Are you mad they don't wanna be killed by poilce
Are you mad they don't want to be killed by vigilantes like George Zimmerman for walkimg back from a store to get skittles? Or like the 3 Vigilantes that chased down
Ahmaud Arbery while jogging?

Like what is your disagreement with them?

Very good fella!!! Now see if you can figure out the parts I don't like!!! 🙄
Darth Tkachuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #400
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Even if nothing else had happened or come out of this episode, this alone would validate the postponement of the games, for me. Excellent idea and excellent result.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black lives matter , boycott , politics